Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Second key not working ... what to do?

Hi,

My spare key (which looks identical to my primary key) is not working ever since I bought my vehicle a few months back. I thought it was the key's battery so I changed it and now the LED illuminates on the key when I press the buttons but nothing happens on the car. Is the only option to go to the Porsche dealership to handle this?

Thanks!

The remote code Loren refers to is supplied on a bar code label with the key. If the key was supplied with the car, it will have been lost forever, as Porsche do not record the details on their IPAS system.

If you want to use the remote, you will need to have a new key head programmed to the car.

I have a new clue: it turns out that the button that pops the front storage area works just fine! The only problem is the unlock/lock button doesn't work. But I DO see the LED flashing when I push that button. So the key is partially working. Why would the unlock/lock button not work but the other button work???

I am guessing he is referring to this article and may apply to your key as well since part of your key works and part doesn't and it could be that your has a failing micro switch. "There is an interesting article in the June 2010 issue of Excellence Magazine entitled: "Fob 4 Less: Fixing a modern Porsche key for less than $3 bucks". The article describes rescuing a dysfunctional key by replacing a couple of small, inexpensive momentary switches. Looks relatively easy to do and since the electronic functions of your key are already messed up you don't have much to lose. I have one non-functional fob, but since the other is working I haven't tried this idea yet. I did call the dealer about a replacment. They offered to solve the problem for $375. If you go the diy route please let folks know how it works out."

I am guessing he is referring to this article and may apply to your key as well since part of your key works and part doesn't and it could be that your has a failing micro switch. "There is an interesting article in the June 2010 issue of Excellence Magazine entitled: "Fob 4 Less: Fixing a modern Porsche key for less than $3 bucks". The article describes rescuing a dysfunctional key by replacing a couple of small, inexpensive momentary switches. Looks relatively easy to do and since the electronic functions of your key are already messed up you don't have much to lose. I have one non-functional fob, but since the other is working I haven't tried this idea yet. I did call the dealer about a replacment. They offered to solve the problem for $375. If you go the diy route please let folks know how it works out."

Thanks. Would you or anyone have a copy of this article to share? I don't have a subscription to excellence magazine... THANKS!

Try the above link. I do not have the article at hand but this post offers up more detail on repairing

I went to the Excellence site but sadly they do not have many "free" tech articles to view including nothing for the one you are looking for. Worse comes to worse you probably could order a back issue.