Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

G9601 transmission issue

Hi!

this is my first post here as I have owned my first Porsche for less than a week... and I already have an issue!

My transmission (std 6spd) is making a loud noise in first gear.

When I drive I can here the noise only if I accelerate, but as you can see in the video, it happens also at idle.

No noise in any other gear or if I press the clutch

Any idea on what this could be? And how to fix?

To be noted:

previous owner had the transmission rebuilt recently to fix the 2nd gear issue

however car was already making the noise before the rebuild

it is currently filled with non-synthetic 75W90 (not sure of brand) -> should I try to use a 75W140?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHYATUCC3E&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the feedback!

• Moderators

Both dead centers of the engine during the combustion process cause vibrations which manifests itself in the gearbox as chatter, this phenomenon is reduced as the motor torque increases. To avoid this chatter a dual mass flywheel is mounted. It's all a bit more complicated, but this is the shortest and simplest explanation.

• Moderators

An LWFW can not solve the problem, in contrary it is solid and absorbs no vibration at all. Only a properly functioning dual mass flywheel does the job as it should.

• Moderators

Just in passing, if you do not know what brand is in the trans, drain it and fill it with the factory gear oil. Many of the complaints we have heard about using aftermarket gear oils involved strange noises; it may not be the entire issue, but it could also be your cheapest solution to at least some of the problem.

You should also stay away from light weight flywheels unless you intend to rebalance the entire rotating assembly; lightweight flywheels do not dampen any of the rotating assembly’s harmonics, but a dual mass will.