Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Instrument Cluster Resetting On Ignition

Tried 2 new batteries an S3 and S5 Bosh and still having the same problems.

2 out of 3 times when I start the car the instrument cluster effectively resets. It goes dark for a split second then flashes back on with the clock reset.

When it doesnt reset (the 1 out of 3 times) when I start the car the cluster dims massively for a split second while the car tries to start

Any ideas what this could be? Starter Motor? Alternator?

You will likely need to have your OPC put a PIWIS tester on the car and also re-program the cluster.

out of interest why would the cluster need re-progamming - the cluster seems fine once the car has started (the problem is just a momentary restart lasting a fraction of a second immediately after the engine has started)

Edited by johnsnow

You can remove them and clean the contact surface but sometimes the fault is within the cable itself. I use a set of jumper/booster cable to provide a substitute ground path from engine to chassis and retest to see what effect it had on the fault.

You can remove them and clean the contact surface but sometimes the fault is within the cable itself. I use a set of jumper/booster cable to provide a substitute ground path from engine to chassis and retest to see what effect it had on the fault.

Great idea I tried this first with the front ground (but had the same result) I then opened the engine bay but I couldnt for the life of me find the engine ground pictured here is there 987 location different?

Pic1.jpg

johnsnow, the engine to chassis ground cable is located underneath the engine.

Thanks, running the battery with a multimeter it records a steady 12.8v even with heaters etc. on seems something is draining it would a faulty chassis ground cause this?

I'm glad you also confirm that the 9x7 clusters had software glitches.

This is still what an expert also confirms to me - while the dealer denies it.

I refused to buy a new cluster yesterday just because the Airbag light does not come on anymore after coding a cruise control.

We'll re-program the cluster with a more recent firmware later this week and will see if that fixes it, in parallel I got another cluster for testing and comparing.

Because 9x7 series cars are known to have had some software glitches. Re-programming automatically updates the software/firmware to the latest versions.

• Admin

Yes, that's the one. Like wvicary, I was just trying to make sense of it, as there seems no logical reason why that fuse would affect the instrument cluster.

I agree with Richard that circuit does not handle the instrument cluster. The only way I see it could affect the cluster is if something attached to it was pulling the whole electrical system down (which could be a clue to why the fuse blew).

Yes, that's the one. Like wvicary, I was just trying to make sense of it, as there seems no logical reason why that fuse would affect the instrument cluster.

I agree with Richard that circuit does not handle the instrument cluster. The only way I see it could affect the cluster is if something attached to it was pulling the whole electrical system down (which could be a clue to why the fuse blew).

In terms of attached device? If so nothing has been attached since ive owned the car either that or the ciggerette connection. Maybe a faulty connection that shorted? Or a penny thats fallen down the console arm and possibly shorted(ing) it?