Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My 2011 C4S has sport chrono option with clock and ever since day one there has been a buzzy kind of rattle that comes from the dash that sounds like a loose fitting or somethin inside the clock. This noise is especially bad on coarse road surfaces where it buzzes constantly. It drives me crazy. I've had two different dealers look into it - they do things like add felt inside the dash etc. but it has not solved the problem and in fact it has gotten worse lately. Has anyone else had this issue or are there any ideas out there ? As with most dash rattles it may be hard to pionpoint but I am now convinced it's the clock as it comes directly from there. I don't even use the **** thing and would be happy to swap it out for a hard wired radar detector or something useful. Ideas / comments anyone ??

Frustrating that you dealer can"t solve the issue. You may want to contact Porsche and convey your problem.. That is too new a car to have an annoying rattle. I would insist that it gets repaired by the dealer. Even if they have to install a whole new freakin dash.

It's THEIR problem...You shouldn't have to be trouble shooting it yourself..

When I have issues with my dealer I annoy them to the point that they just want me to go away....And they know I won't go away until they fix my issue.

Good luck.. I hope you get it sorted

Removed the chrono today and unfortunately, it's not the clock as it rattles when driven with it removed. So next we'll try the small speaker in the dash in front of the clock mounting. The dealer is very responsive and eager to fix this but it takes so much freaking time to keep toing and froing on this. I love this car for so many reasons, but with an irritating rattle since new, it ain't what they advertise it to be and believe me, they will fix it or they will give me another C4S. I will be diplomatic but I will NOT go away until it is resolved. I have written to Porsche corporate already so they must be aware. Persistence after all is the key to success in almost everything. Wish me luck and hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Zenmaster,

I agree with you completely.. if they can't fix it demand another car..Too bad you have to go through this..Your attitude is what is needed to resolve this issue.. "I will be diplomatic but I will NOT go away until it is resolved."

Please keep us posted on this..

I had a rattle that I too thought was from the Sport Chrono on the dash. It turned out to be from the instrument cluster. Here is what I did to isolate the noise. While I was driving on a road that created the noise, I stuck a couple fingers into the space between the instrument cluster and bottom of the dash trying different spots until I could cancel the noise. I had to experiment with the amount of force up and down but eventually I found the rattle/squeak area. When I returned home, I inserted some rubber weatherstripping into that area. This weatherstripping was the type with adhesive on the back so it would stay put and very narrow, window sil type. I went back out to the same road and tested the repair. I found one other spot on the opposite end of the cluster and fixed. About 10 mos later I am still noise and rattle free.

This may or may not be your noise issue but it can be tested very easily.

Edited by stronbl

Thanks Stronbl. I will pass this idea along to the techs if we still have no luck after checking the speaker. Just got back from the dealer with a 2012 Cayenne loaner. What a monster ! But comfy. Will hold all my hockey gear nicely as I play today. Saw the new Boxster there as well. Certainly some solid improvements - looks a bit Carrera GT ish from the front. Back end much better.

Problem solved ! Eureka ! It was the cigarette lighter in the console - the filament was rattling. Just pulled it out and will replace with a 12V plastic plug and Bob's your uncle. Drove it home on bumpy pavement and not a sound. Thank you Porsche Centre Victoria for your diligence.