Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power Steering Fluid Flush and Re-fill?

I have a 2006 Cayenne Turbo with dodgy looking power steering hydraulic fluid. Is flushing and replacing this a relatively easy thing to do? If anyone can send pointers on how to do this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Andrew

Simplest way to do it is simply empty and refill the PS reservoir several times. You won't get everything out, but it will look lots better. Make sure you use the correct Pensotin fluid.. the wrong stuff can destroy the pump and steering rack.

Simplest way to do it is simply empty and refill the PS reservoir several times. You won't get everything out, but it will look lots better. Make sure you use the correct Pensotin fluid.. the wrong stuff can destroy the pump and steering rack.

Thanks Don,

In another post you refer to a 2-man Porsche approved method. Do you have any further info? No problems if you don't as the method you suggest sounds simple enough.

Andrew

• Admin

Bleeding the steering system

1. After installation is complete, raise the vehicle so that the wheels are no longer touching the ground.

2. Open engine lid, flap and reservoir.

3. Fill reservoir up to the MAX marking, until the level no longer drops.

4. Then turn the steering to the left and to the right. Hold the steering on full lock for approx. 30 seconds at each side until the level no longer drops. Continually check the fluid level and fill to the MAX marking again if necessary.

5. Lower vehicle onto wheels. Briefly start the engine, let it run for approx. 1 second and add Pentosin again. This procedure causes the fluid level in the reservoir to fall rapidly, so constantly add Pentosin CHF 11 S. The reservoir must not be sucked dry (two workers required).

6. If the fluid level in the reservoir does not fall any further when the engine is briefly turned over, start the engine and let it run at idling speed.

7. Turn steering on full lock to left and right at idle speed and hold there briefly.

8. Observe fluid level during this procedure. If it continues to fall, add fluid until the level in the reservoir remains constant and no more air bubbles rise in the reservoir when the steering wheel is turned.

9. Switch engine off and adjust correct fluid level. The fluid level must be between the MAX and MIN markings.

When the correct level has been reached, no air bubbles should be circulating in the reservoir and the fluid level should no longer drop.

Loren, I think those instructions don't include where they're draining it from. The instructions are for bleeding a dry system.. I seem to recall some instructions in the factory manual involving disconnecting a hose to drain the system while filling it up top..

• Admin

Loren, I think those instructions don't include where they're draining it from. The instructions are for bleeding a dry system.. I seem to recall some instructions in the factory manual involving disconnecting a hose to drain the system while filling it up top..

Perhaps this for replacing the pump?

12. Disconnect pressure pipe on the servo oil cooler (line leading to the hydraulic fluid tank). Have a suitable plug ready for closing the line (hydraulic fluid escapes!). Collect emerging hydraulic fluid in a suitable container.

13. Fill the hydraulic fluid tank. Use a suitable auxiliary hose (approx. 10 - 15 cm, shop-made) to carry hydraulic fluid that emerges during rinsing into a suitable container (approx. 1.5 litres).

14. Rinse the hydraulic system with the engine running by turning the steering several times to the right or left stop, and adjust the hydraulic fluid level several times as required. Vehicle must be lowered onto the wheels for this. The tank must not run on empty while the engine is running (two workers required).

15. Fit the pressure pipe on the servo oil cooler.

16. Bleed the hydraulic system with the engine running by turning the steering several times to the right or left stop, and adjust the hydraulic fluid level several times as required (Page 296 'Test and assembly work on power steering') .

I always remove the line from the cooler, it's easy to access and you can install extension hoses onto the fittings and direct them into pails. With the front wheels off the ground and engine off turn the steering wheel lock to lock until no more fluid is forced out. Reconnect the lines, fill the system and bleed it then check for leaks. I also throughly wash the area to be sure no old fluid is left hiding anywhere.

Pentosin 202 is the newest recommended fluid and replaces 11S.

• 2 weeks later...

I always remove the line from the cooler, it's easy to access and you can install extension hoses onto the fittings and direct them into pails. With the front wheels off the ground and engine off turn the steering wheel lock to lock until no more fluid is forced out. Reconnect the lines, fill the system and bleed it then check for leaks. I also throughly wash the area to be sure no old fluid is left hiding anywhere.

Pentosin 202 is the newest recommended fluid and replaces 11S.

Perhaps this for replacing the pump?

12. Disconnect pressure pipe on the servo oil cooler (line leading to the hydraulic fluid tank). Have a suitable plug ready for closing the line (hydraulic fluid escapes!). Collect emerging hydraulic fluid in a suitable container.

13. Fill the hydraulic fluid tank. Use a suitable auxiliary hose (approx. 10 - 15 cm, shop-made) to carry hydraulic fluid that emerges during rinsing into a suitable container (approx. 1.5 litres).

14. Rinse the hydraulic system with the engine running by turning the steering several times to the right or left stop, and adjust the hydraulic fluid level several times as required. Vehicle must be lowered onto the wheels for this. The tank must not run on empty while the engine is running (two workers required).

15. Fit the pressure pipe on the servo oil cooler.

16. Bleed the hydraulic system with the engine running by turning the steering several times to the right or left stop, and adjust the hydraulic fluid level several times as required (Page 296 'Test and assembly work on power steering') .

Thanks for all the info everyone. As soon as the Pentosin 202 arrives I'll flush the fluids.

Andrew

• Moderators

11S is still available but Porsche put out a TSB saying they were switching to CHF202 and that it was backwards compatible. And the Bonus is that last time I checked the 202 was a little cheaper than the 11S.

You are correct that the 202 is compatible (they are only slightly different in viscosity), but the TSB came out at a time when the 11S was unavailable to buy (a Pentosin decision), but that was subsequently reversed and the product is available again. My Pentosin suppliers had jacked up the price for the11S when supplies dwindled (some cars do not like the viscosity difference, particularly in colder climates), but pricing has also reverted to normal.

Edited by JFP in PA

• 4 years later...

I am very thankful for this thread because I have to flush the steering rack system asap (I accidentally put brake fluid in the reservoir, but that is another story). Anyhow, does anyone know where I can find the rack cooler? I am only able to locate the rack, pump, and reservoir. 

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

When I did this procedure, I disconnected the return hose from the resevoir and aimed it down into a funnel that emptied into a catch basin. I also connected a temporary short hose to the resevoir that the return line normally connects. I aimed this hose up making it higher in elevation than the resevoir. This is what I chose to do in lieu of number 12 on the list that Loren provided.

• 7 months later...

The easiest way is to 

1) jack up car/or leave it on level ground

2) remove engine beauty cover for the drivers side

3) unscrew the screw that hold the power steering fluid container on 

if you remove the air filter cover you can pour all the fluid into a container 

4) remove the small hose (hose on right side that connect to the metal pipe that runs behind power steering container)

5) put the end of the small hose in a container and plug the hole of the power steering container for the small hose

6) next pour new power steering fluid into the power steering container and turn car on crank steering wheel left and right and continue to add fluid

7) when new fluid is pouring out of small hose stop adding fluid and re attach the hose to the container

8) screw container back on to car then fill up sligthly above min line 

9) turn wheel from lock to lock 5 or so time check level and then add as needed

Different car but the same procedure applies. I did this on my Audi and used the same steps on the Cayenne. The cayenne cycles through fluid quick! To avoid the car firing up for 1-2 seconds and shutting it off, I pulled the fuel pump fuses prior to flushing.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/susp_whls_brake_steer/psflush.html