Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is the 997.1 C2S catalytic converter part same as the 996 one?

• Admin

Sorry, the cats and sensors are different part numbers -- and in different locations.

Even if you used 996 sensors on a 997 cat I think the computer would see the difference due to location - but who knows until someone tries.

The 997 cats are about 12 lbs lighter...\

996 cats

post-1-0-88791200-1344210019_thumb.jpg

997 cats

post-1-0-08487400-1344210023_thumb.jpg

Odd. My 996 cats have the 02 sensor plug locations like it is in your 997 drawing. Did you switch the diagram label?

I wonder if the shapes are the same (and length of the pipes) despite the 02 locations

• Admin

The images are for 3.6 liter cars and they are not switched.

997-1 and 996 (3.6 liter) are the same engine - so other than tailpipe location (body design change) they should be close. There were changes to the DME but the O2 sensors are the same part numbers.

I went through this when replacing my cats earlier this year. The O2 sensor location was changed between MK1 and MK2 996. Prior to 2002 the second oxygen sensor is near the muffler clamp, but in 2002 it was moved to the top of the cat. The physical dimensions for the cats are the same. Aftermarket catalytic converters often come drilled out for both. I'm pretty sure either would fit, however the O2 sensor leads have to be extended if you switch from one that has the O2 sensor at the cat to one that has the O2 sensor near the muffler clamp.

I'm not completely sure about the 997.1 cats in a 996 though.