Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Valentine One with Blend Mount Bracket

Hello all:

I have a 2002 C4S with sunroof and have installed a blend mount on my rear view mirror for my valentine one radar detector. I would like to hard wire it into the area above the mirror that controls the interior lights and sunroof. Did a search but didn't find a good example on how to do this.

Thanks soutahc4s

Hello all:

I have a 2002 C4S with sunroof and have installed a blend mount on my rear view mirror for my valentine one radar detector. I would like to hard wire it into the area above the mirror that controls the interior lights and sunroof. Did a search but didn't find a good example on how to do this.

Thanks soutahc4s

did your mount just come out on the market? I have a Valentine to the left of the rear view mirror and considered a similar mounting for it. I looked a few years ago, but found nothing for the C4S. I don't think there was a change from 2002 to 2003.

**how about posting up a pic or two of your installation?**

I bet there are some folks, like me, that might consider using a similar set up.

and there are some power options to consider:

I think the post from Mike deals with direct wiring from the overhead cabin lights. I found a great post about direct wiring from the unused heated seat fuse. In Utah you probably have heated seats. But there is likely another open fuse that is hot only when the key is on that you might consider using. Per the post I found about direct wiring from the heating seat fuse, my power line goes up along the left side of the windshield and there's a short "pigtail" dangling out for connecting the Valentine. Very nice looking I think.

I mounted a remote display on the "batwing" at the left bottom of the instrument panel. I don't have heated seats, California, you know, but I believe there would be plenty of room for the remote display between the heated seat switches in the middle of the batwing. the remote connector fits easily behind the fuse box. the connecting phone line fits easily along the underside of the dash and then threads in behind the lower, removable, part of the instrument panel.

There's also a good post about mounting the remote display directly into the "batwing," but I elected not to do that because I wanted the option of not using the remote. The remote is handy at night so drivers, or other possible observers, behind you cant see your Valentine red arrows and follow along in your wake.

Good luck. Pics, please. j

Here are some pics of the finished product. I got the mount from www.blendmount.com and just used the wiring supplied with the Valentine 1. The direct wire they send has the conection for the unit and an accessory port, I used it and it tucked up nicely where the sunroof motor is. The link here by Mike Petonic above was perfect instructions. http://forums.rennli...-996-turbo.html. It is wired into the Sunroof Switch which only has power when the key is on.

This may not be perfect if you use the hidden display (stealth) Valentine One accesory, but I am sure someone has or will figur that out.

Thanks again for everyones help on this.

Hope this help's anyone out with a Valentine-One.

soutahc4s

post-7720-0-61905700-1345062712.jpgpost-7720-0-39907700-1345062723.jpgpost-7720-0-29817700-1345062732.jpgpost-7720-0-93754600-1345062739.jpgpost-7720-0-58502000-1345062747.jpg

Glad that it was helpful to you. I wired my V1 tapping into the switched power from the console.

@JudgeJon: if you have an electronically dimming mirror, you can't use the Blend Mount. It looks outstanding in SoUtahC4S's pictures, and I wish that I could use it, but they don't have an application for electronically dimming mirrors, only manual ones. I actually prefer manually dimming mirrors, so I may switch. That mount looks sexy in that 996.

Glad that it was helpful to you. I wired my V1 tapping into the switched power from the console.

@JudgeJon: if you have an electronically dimming mirror, you can't use the Blend Mount. It looks outstanding in SoUtahC4S's pictures, and I wish that I could use it, but they don't have an application for electronically dimming mirrors, only manual ones. I actually prefer manually dimming mirrors, so I may switch. That mount looks sexy in that 996.

Thanks, Mike. I checked it out and turns out I like the position to the left of the mirror better than the V1 hanging under the mirror. I've thought about moving the remote to on the dash up by the windshield, but the position and fit isn't great.

Actually, best set up was in my '79 SC. V1 was on the right side sun visor, and the remote up against the windshield directly in front of me. Sort of a "heads-up display". Had to use the mute on the main unit as I couldn't reach the remote button.

The 996 set up potential on the dash for the remote doesnt look that great, but I'm thinking about it. the windshield position to the left of the mirror is actually ok, and in busy areas the mute button on the lower remote position is easy to find and use. Just takes plugging it in. I wish I could hang the receiver from the right side sun visor, but the angle of the visor prevents that.

Good to connect with you...regards, j

You and I are thinking along the same lines, JudgeJon. Currently, I've got my V1 body to the left of the RVM and very high up. The remote display is located on my instrument panel, right above the steering column. I'd much prefer it in a location that you described on your '79 SC, but yeah, it doesn't look like it's going to elegantly fit there.

What I like about the current setup is that the V1 is fairly unobtrusive, but I still take it out and put it in my center storage area when I'm parking in sketchy neighborhoods (live in SF, so there are quite a few of them).

What I *don't* like about my setup is that the remote display isn't as obvious to me as I would like it.

Short story: Three months ago, I was driving back from golf with my top down. I played a good round, and was relaxing by cranking up my music real loud (Tragically Hip) with the top down, driving the backroads of Marin County. I'd passed two fairly slow cars in one move and was doing, well, since my real name is attached, suffice it to say that I was moving rather briskly -- this is an X50, after all. When passing on 2 lane roads, especially two cars at a time, it's much safer to pass at a higher rate of speed to limit opposite lane exposure (or so my rationale goes). After the pass, I just let off the gas and intended to let it drift on down to 65 or so (limit 55).

A CHP officer coming the other way, and he caught me with his radar doing 83. I was really incensed about my V1 because I didn't hear *any* warning. I looked down at my remote display and everything was lit up like a Christmas Tree (XA band). D'oh! I couldn't hear it because I had the music pumping at full volume while moving. The Tragically Hip at full volume cost me $400+.

I'm sure the CHP saw the V1, and while he might have seen my 11-99 Foundation plate, and my very subtle fidgeting around in the 11-99 registration holder, I think the presence of the V1 outscored the presence of the 11-99 membership.

Having said that, the V1 has "saved" me probably about 4 times over the last 6 months. I'm not reckless by any means -- typically going with the flow of traffic or slightly higher so that I don't get clumped up with traffic (old motorcycle commuting habit). V1 -- Good investment for me.

I'll keep on fidgeting with the set up as time allows, and if you get a setup that you like (that allows you to see the remote display easily), I'd be interested in hearing about your findings.

Cheers!