Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

No windows, sunroof, interior lights, central locking, etc

May be it is not related but I remember reading somewhere, and I hope Loren will give us his opinion, an aftermarket radio need a kind of hack to eliminate an alarm function...But I am not sure....

I was thinking more about their having buggered up some wires while they were installing the unit.

Do you have any idea how to find the part # for the "passenger compartment monitoring sensor". In my parts book it is listed in a secret section and there are no part #s given - just an option number, I think, M499. Section 903-04 shows the lnterrior light assembly, but there's no mention of an infrared sensor - I think that's how they detect the presence of a warm body. I did a search on "passenger". Maybe I'll try "sensor".

Mike

No internet connection for 18 hours.

I thought the sensor was in the reading light panel behind the dark lenses. Driver's side has a thing that looks like an LED array on a circuit board, and on passenger's side there is just a circuit board. But there is nothing in PET.

Maybe Loren will put us out of our misery (at least mine) and let us know where this sensor is. (: and where the short might be.

I found the part that you found but it is too expensive to buy one to troubleshoot the problem.

Mike

On a PC keyboard the following are equivilents:

[#] is F9

[arrow with dots] is F10

[<<] is F11

[>>] is F12

There is nothining in the PST2 manual that is vehicle specific. Each section of the corresonding service manual has some explaination to use for that specific task (i.e. alarm)

HELP! Where is the motion sensor that's referred to in code 34 - there is no part listed in PET in the reading light console and another part that has the words motion sensor is too expensive to buy just to do troubleshooting. And, what area would have the short in it? Or would replacing the motion sensor probably eliminate the short mentioned in code 60?

Thanks,

Mike

• Admin

Fault code 34

Passenger compartment monitoring sensor, short circuit to B+ or faulty

Possible cause of fault

- Short circuit to voltage in the wiring between the alarm system control module and the passenger compartment monitoring sensor

- Passenger compartment monitoring sensor faulty

post-1-0-28901700-1346352494_thumb.png

post-1-0-89390400-1346352497_thumb.png

Fault code 60

Central locking limit position - locked not reached

Possible cause of fault

- Switch for central locking faulty

- Short circuit to ground/open circuit in the wiring between the alarm system control module, switch for central locking or door locks

- Driver’s/passenger’s door lock faulty

- Control module faulty

post-1-0-38517000-1346352684_thumb.png

post-1-0-49998700-1346352685_thumb.png

post-1-0-73098200-1346352686_thumb.png

jp - no, you've been a big help. I'm not sure what issue you are referring to, but, you are right that PET calls that part in the diagram an interior monitoring sensor, but the workshop manual, section 96 85 19, page 1160, shows how to remove the thing in the ceiling that they call the passenger compartment monitoring sensor. When I start doing continuity checks between this module and the main alarm module I'm glad its where it is so that I don't have to tear the car apart looking for the non-descript part they show in PET.

I can't wait to get started working on this this weekend.

Mike

• Upvote 1

You are a very tenacious man :cheers: . It is a pleasure to help you Mike but my experience with alarm sensing and your last two codes 34 and 60 are in an unknown territory for me.... But I follow this thread very closely!

Fault code 34

Possible cause of fault

- Short circuit to voltage in the wiring between the alarm system control module and the passenger compartment monitoring sensor

Flunked step 1. Read .16 volts between 1&4 instead of battery voltage. "Replace wiring harness." I think I'll do a little more investigating before tackling that.

Fault code 60

Possible cause of fault

- Short circuit to ground/open circuit in the wiring between the alarm system control module, switch for central locking or door locks

- Control module faulty

I'm trying to "select" central alarm button in the list of inputs. I'm thinking that it will go to the next page when I hit F12, but it doesn't do anything. Where is the status of the input shown?

Code 46 also came back and I have the same issue - I'm trying to figure out how to read the status of the "door locked" inputs. The words in the list say "Driver's Door Locked", etc. When I

push the front lid release button, the lid releases, but nothing on the screen changes.

I'm thinking that there might be a "select" button on the keyboard?

Thanks,

Mike

Fault code 34

Possible cause of fault

Flunked step 1. Read .16 volts between 1&4 instead of battery voltage. "Replace wiring harness." I think I'll do a little more investigating before tackling that.

Fault code 60

Possible cause of fault

- Control module faulty

I'm trying to "select" central alarm button in the list of inputs. I'm thinking that it will go to the next page when I hit F12, but it doesn't do anything. Where is the status of the input shown?

Code 46 also came back and I have the same issue - I'm trying to figure out how to read the status of the "door locked" inputs. The words in the list say "Driver's Door Locked", etc. When I

push the front lid release button, the lid releases, but nothing on the screen changes.

I'm thinking that there might be a "select" button on the keyboard?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Havent you got a PST2 operation manual?? That will tell you what all the keys do.

pst2picture.png

IBM Thinkpad Version of the Porsche System Tester 2

Key Designation Description of function

F12 function key >> "Continue" key This is used to close the current screen and move to the next screen.

F11 function key << "Continue" key This is used to close the current screen and move to the previous screen.

F10 function key "Jump" key Used to jump to the selection menu for the control unit-specific functions.

PgDn key "Page down" key Used to page forwards.

PgUp key "Page up" key Used to page back.

Cursor keys "Cursor" keys

(

, , and )

These keys move the cursor left/right or up/down for selection of menu items or

selection of individual elements from lists.

Space Bar "Space" Bar This can be use to select individual elements when viewing Actual Values.

Tab key (

|) "Tab" key This changes the active screen part, e.g. change from display window to the

softkey bar.

Enter key "Enter" key Used to accept input.

Esc key "Escape" key Return

F1 function key F1 key Selection of Help (information) on safety instructions, connection of the sensors,

and key assignments etc.

F2 to F8 F2 to F8 function keys Seven softkeys or function keys. The meaning of these keys changes depending

on the application, program or program step and is displayed in the lower

("softkey") bar.

Note:

If "F1" is pressed in the start-up screen, this displays Operating Instructions for the Porsche System Tester 2. This is possible

only in the start-up screen. If "F1' is pressed in other display screens, the operator receives context-sensitive help pertaining

to the displayed screen. This function can be called only if the '?' symbol appears in the softkey. Read the operating

instructions and safety information before proceeding. Also take time to view the demonstration by pressing F3 at the

opening menu.

Battery Indicator:

This is the left hand LED on the left hand screen hinge, and displays as follows:

Orange: Charging

Green: Enough battery power for operation

Flashing Orange: Battery needs to be charged (accompanied by a double-beep)

Screensaver & System Standby:

The screensaver comes into effect after about 10 minutes of inactivity. Press the space bar to restore the display. If no keys

are pressed after approximately 15 minutes of battery operation, the computer will go into suspend mode to conserve battery

power. The right hand LED on the hinge will illuminate green. To wake the computer, press and hold the blue "Fn" key and

press "F12". Operation time on batteries will vary with system demands, and for long periods of use it is best to use the

mains adapter or a cigar lighter adapter.

Abbreviations used in the PST2 Tester

ABD Automatic Brake Differential

ABS Anti-lock Brake System

AHK Anhängerkupplung (trailer coupling)

AHKS Anhängerkupplung schwenkbar (pivoting trailer coupling)

CAN Controller Area Network

CDR Compact Disk Radio

CU Control unit

CVN Calibration Verification Number

DME Digitale Motor Elektronik (engine control module)

DSN Diagnosis Software Number

DSP Digital Sound Processing

EU2/EU3/EU4 European exhaust emissions standard

EOBD European On Board Diagnosis

EZK Elektronische Zundanlage mit Klopfregelung (electronic ignition system

with knock control)

GHV Gurthhohenverstellung (seat belt height adjustment)

GW Gateway

GPS Global Positioning System

HFM Heissfilmluftmassenmesser (mass air flow sensor) (MAF)

KESSY Keyless Entry keyless go / control unit

LEV Low Emission Vehicle (USA)

LH Luftmassenmessung mit Hitzdraht (metering of the air quantity with hot

wire)

LWR Automatic Headlight Beam Adjustment

ME Motronic with E-gas

MMI Man Machine Interface

MOST Media Oriented Systems Transport

MY Model Year (MY04->=as from MY04)

ORS Off-Road Stabilizers (anti-roll bars)

PCM Porsche Communication Management

PDAS Porsche Dynamische Allrad Steuerung (Porsche dynamic four-wheel

drive control)

POSIP Porsche Side Impact Protection System

PSD Porsche Sperr Differential (Porsche limited-slip differential)

PSM Porsche Stability Management

PST 2 Porsche System Tester 2

RDK Reifen Druck Kontrolle (tyre pressure monitoring system)

RoW Rest of the World

RF Returnless Fuel

SBS Sprach-Bedien-System (voice control system)

TC Traction Control

Frank

Edited by Sunnyside
  • Upvote 2

Frank: Thanks, that was a lot of information. I had figured out that right arrow "selected" and left arrow "deselected". I had fun for a while watching the graphics of switches changing on the screen as I pushed buttons. The only conclusion was that the central locking button didn't work. So I printed out huge copies of the schematics and tried to follow the signals. Something that was bothering me was:

Fault code 34

Possible cause of fault

http://www.renntech....attach_id=26575

If the sensor was shorted to B+, wouldn't it read B+ volts to ground (contact 1 to 4)? And if it had shorted, wouldn't there be a fuse blown somewhere

and making it read about 0V to ground? Which it did.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, I concluded that it should be fuse C3 (15A). Didn't have time to look at it until after work today. Pulled fuse C3 and it was blown. Put in a new fuse and everything is working again. I won't say its fixed - don't know what blew the fuse in the first place, but sure feels good to be able to lock the car again.

I think that the fact I was getting codes 34, 46, and 60 made things very confusing, but after a while I concluded that they were mostly misleading. What could have happened to set all those codes? Makes you think that there was more than one thing wrong. My conclusion is that the diagnostic tool is handy to have, but its not going to lead you to the part that's bad and needs to be replaced. Without using all the tools at your disposal including the wiring diagrams and your brain, you'll end up spending a bunch of money on parts and not fix the problem. It may still be that there is an intermittent problem somewhere, like a short in the passenger compartment monitoring sensor. If it pops up again, then I'll start looking at, analyzing and replacing individual parts like the sensor.

Thanks to everyone who offered and provided help.

Mike

• Upvote 1

• Admin

Thanks, jp, but there's a whole new issue: where to find the IPAS codes. If someone out there wants to PM me their secret source of codes, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

There is no secret source - you must get them from a Porsche dealer/OPC after showing proof of ownership (at least in the US).

Thanks, jp, but there's a whole new issue: where to find the IPAS codes. If someone out there wants to PM me their secret source of codes, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

There is no secret source - you must get them from a Porsche dealer/OPC after showing proof of ownership (at least in the US).

"OPC"?

The reason I questioned whether I could get them is that Sunset told me that they weren't available to customer/owners. But, what you said is what you said many times before as I searched through the forum.

Thanks,

Mike

• Admin

OPC is used primarily outside the US. OPC = Official Porsche Center

You need to try a local dealer. Any dealer should give you the information on request with proof that you are the owner.

It is then up to you to protect that information. Anyone with that information (and the proper tools) could make keys and or steal your car.

I got my IPAS codes from a dealer that I had never even visited before - once I showed proof of ownership.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

if US dealerships are like the UK ones they wont want to hand out the IPAS codes to you. however they have a legal obligation to if you show proof of purchase.

My OPC still refused so I wrote a letter to Porsche UK explaining the problem, they phoned my OPC and next time I went down I was given all my IPAS codes.

you have an obligation to keep the codes safe.

Take no crap off them, insist and get Porsche US to help.

Frank

Edited by Sunnyside

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

if US dealerships are like the UK ones they wont want to hand out the IPAS codes to you. however they have a legal obligation to if you show proof of purchase.

My OPC still refused so I wrote a letter to Porsche UK explaining the problem, they phoned my OPC and next time I went down I was given all my IPAS codes.

Frank

This is the response I got from the only Porsche dealer I usually have contact with.

Hello Mike,

I double checked with management to see if Porsche had been lightening up on their policy but I got the same answer. If dealerships are providing the codes they are going against Porsche policies which compromises the theft detterent systems and could result in large fines from Porsche. Sorry we are not able to help with getting the codes for you.

Thanks,

Andraya Hayward

Sunset Porsche Parts Consultant

I just sent an inquiry to PCNA and will wait for their response.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Frank

This is the response I got from the only Porsche dealer I usually have contact with.

Hello Mike,

I double checked with management to see if Porsche had been lightening up on their policy but I got the same answer. If dealerships are providing the codes they are going against Porsche policies which compromises the theft detterent systems and could result in large fines from Porsche. Sorry we are not able to help with getting the codes for you.

Thanks,

Andraya Hayward

Sunset Porsche Parts Consultant

I just sent an inquiry to PCNA and will wait for their response.

that's their standard answer, because once you have the codes you can do so much more with your car potentially doing them out of a cheap source of cash.

If the US has similar laws to us then they are breaching anti competitive legislation. By not releasing the codes to an authorised person or private workshop they are denying them the right to work on your car. They are your codes and are only applicable to your car and no other. you must insist. I got Porsche UK on side who told Porsche Glasgow to release the codes.......all of them.

I have a PST2 and demanded the right to work on my own car. and I got the codes in the end. not first time of asking but I still got them.

Keep pushing.

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

jp - hold those good feelings about my success - I should have known better than to think that finding and replacing a blown fuse would be a permanent fix. That didn't last long - the fuse blew again and I haven't had any time to dedicate to the problem.

So, I ordered the passenger sensor and central locking switch and replaced them. I checked all the wires in the area of the PCM where a replacement aftermarket unit had been installed. I removed it after this all started. I also took out the seats to check connections at the module. After I straightened out the audio system wires and removed an ipod cable to the glove compartment, installed the new parts and reconnected the module under the seat, everything was working fine. I tried everything about 20 times. Checked codes - there were none. I put the driver's seat back in and reconnected the other (airbag?) unit under the seat. I also hooked up the stuff by the reading lights - sunvisors, auto dimming mirror, rain sensor that I had removed to take out the headliner to fix the noise up there. (Another story).

Then I hooked the battery back up, hit the button on the fob and nothing happened. The fuse was blown. When I went to replace the fuse, it blew as soon as I put it in the socket. Checked codes. 60, 33, 47, 46, 34, 61. That is where it stands today. I hope I get a few hours this weekend to work on it. I can't lock the passenger's door by turning the driver's key in the lock 3 times in succession clockwise. I guess I'll buy a gross of 15 amp fuses and start disonnecting wires one at a time until it goes away.

Mike