Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Seat Cushion Spring

I believe I may have busted the driver's side seat cushion because now it seems about 1 inch deeper than the passenger's side.

The other day, after leaving the gym from a strenuous leg workout, I opened the driver's side door, then dropped into the seat because I was so exhausted.

When I did that, I felt something pop under the seat. I'm 6ft tall and weigh about 175lbs, it's hard to believe springs would break under that amount of weight.

I have an '01 986, with 91k miles and I'm the original owner. It's in good to great condition.

Can the seat be repaired easily?

Or, will I be paying a visit to the Porsche dismantler? If so, is it possible to purchase only the seat bottom and not the seat back?

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

-Best.

You don't specify which seat. Most 996 bottoms are very similar construction just different covering/padding. I would think the 986 would be close to the same.

This is what the bottom of my 2003 sport seat looks like. see pic

You can probably take your seat bottom out by releasing the two white nylon clamps.

Then unscrewing the screws on the switch side panel to allow sliding it through the hole, unlatching the big connector from the cushion bottom base (1/2 turn should unlatch it) and taking the seat belt wire out of the guide clips on the base.

Before you do this put the key in the house and don't bring it back out until the seat belt wire is hooked up again. If you don't do this you will inadvertently turn on the car and light the fault light = trip to the dealer to turn it off.

When you have the bottom out you will see the netting that supports the seat cushion. Not very expensive or hard to replace. On this seat the upholstery slides off the edge to release the cover and the nylon pins push through to release the foam.

Have fun and don't get dirty!

post-30824-0-61070700-1348719814_thumb.j

post-30824-0-49128000-1348719860_thumb.j

post-30824-0-36539100-1348719875_thumb.j

post-30824-0-15358600-1348719886_thumb.j

post-30824-0-32680200-1348720205_thumb.j

Edited by fpb111
  • Upvote 1