Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Didn't find any info with a search and couldn't find an applicable diagram.

I can't see how my spare tire is supposed to be secured to the subwoofer or floor. The top of the sub has no holes in it for any type of fastener. Sometimes when I go over bumps, it sounds like the spare is lifting off the floor and banging back down.

Any ideas on how to secure the spare? Wondering what the factory solution is.Thanks!

Thx. I don't have that cover (didn't have a spare for quite awhile either, now I do). Can you point me towards where I can find that schematic? I have a really hard time finding stuff in the Porsche parts list PDF.

Still stumped. I don't think I have that configuration. Here is a pic of my spare in place, and it doesn't look like there's any space for a cover:

2012_10_06_19_08_23_998.jpg

Pulling it out:

2012_10_06_19_08_48_663.jpg

Subwoofer with spare removed:

2012_10_06_19_09_15_204.jpg

Everything is a very tight fit.

Closer shots around front and back of sub:

2012_10_06_19_09_25_119.jpg

2012_10_06_19_09_36_317.jpg

Since we're in that area, is something missing from my side compartment?

Taking off cover:

2012_10_06_19_10_58_601.jpg

Inside. What is the plug that is encased in the gray foam towards the top left? Also, what is that odd strap at the top with the ring-pull?

2012_10_06_19_11_13_438.jpg

Closer shot of the foam template at the bottom. Looks like something is missing.

2012_10_06_19_11_26_65.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I found the parts you need, take a look at this site for the part numbers:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/9PA-03-06/601-00.php

looks like # 8, 9, and 10 are needed.

Still stumped. I don't think I have that configuration. Here is a pic of my spare in place, and it doesn't look like there's any space for a cover:

2012_10_06_19_08_23_998.jpg

Pulling it out:

2012_10_06_19_08_48_663.jpg

Subwoofer with spare removed:

2012_10_06_19_09_15_204.jpg

Everything is a very tight fit.

Closer shots around front and back of sub:

2012_10_06_19_09_36_317.jpg

Ok, I'm new to having a Cayenne (only had it about a month now) but I think there was a change in the Bose subwoofer. The early models that got the sub did not get the spare tire. Then the sub was changed to the one in the diagram posted by Loren and that allowed for a spare tire.

It's surprisingly simple. You can see where the collapsable spare (rim) mounts to the vehicle in your manual. I bought the rim and tire on Craigslist and then ordered the mounting parts. Less then $20 for the parts.

View this Renntech thread for more info:

Thanks for the new info. If I see it correctly, the large black knob on top isn't a hold-down, it's a wrench for loosening the real hold-down which is the silver fastener to the aft of the large knob. (Not allowed to post pic, here is the link.)

http://www.renntech....attach_id=24788

And the point where it fastens to the vehicle is on the floor in the notch cut-out, on the aft part of the sub.

Ok, so in looking at my pic above your post, it looks like I need to buy the "blind rivet nut" for the bolt to thread into because that piece is missing. Not sure how that part attaches to the floor but I'll post back if I can't figure it out. Thanks.

Edited by Natty

The blind rivet nut slips right into the hex-shaped hole in the floor bracket, and when you tighten up on the bolt the first time (best to do it with an ordinary short generic bolt and washer(s) it squishes the captive nut a little and that locks it into place.

• 1 month later...

And for other folks looking for details on the temporary spare I added a tutorial in the, Cayenne (9PA, 9PA1) - Accessories section. Tutorial has part numbers and step-by-step instructions.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/296-temporary-spare-wheeltire-part-numbers-and-installation-directions/

Edited by odix

I appreciate you posting that odix but I must be doing something wrong because when I download or expand the thumbnail images, they're too small to read the print. I'm good with computers but I can't figure it out.

One thing I did notice right away is that on mine, the bracket where the blind rivet nut goes is totally different. There's not enough room to get underneath it plus it's buried in the sub housing. See my pic above. I'm going to take the sub housing off to get a better look. Gonna be a few days though.

Edited by Natty

• 2 months later...

Update: For anyone else who might think there's not enough room to get the blind rivet nut inserted---there is enough room. Once I took the sub-woofer out it provided better access.

Only problem is, the nut does not fit very snug so it's liable to fall out or be pushed out when trying to thread the rod into it. Since it's not frequently accessed I didn't worry about it but in the future I might figure out some way to retain the nut in there. Probably just mark it on the side with a punch or something.

Natty -- thanks for the note that my tutorial file as too small. I added a .pdf file with bigger pics. You may need to be a contributing member to download it.

Glad you're all set with your spare. Happy motoring!