Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Three days ago after driving my 2003 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (Minnesota) I parked, it sat for two hours and then when I went out I put the key in the ignition turned it to the right and nothing happened, no click, no mechanical noise I typically hear when the key is inserted. I have a message on the display that says Move Steering Wheel. The steering wheel is locked as is the gear selector. Interior lights work, stereo works, running lights and tail lights work.

Windows, sunroof, headlights, and ignition will not work. I cannot get a connection to my durametric either. I have replaced the rear battery, (front battery is 2 years old) both relays under the seat and disconnected the batteries for a few minutes.

In the last few weeks prior to this periodically when I tried to start the car I would turn the key to the right and sometimes nothing would happen, then remove re-insert key and it would start fine. Once I inserted the key and turned it to the right and the starter engaged and then stopped prior to starting. I removed key and re-inserted and it was fine.

My contact at the local dealer is recommending that I change the ignition switch.

Any thoughts will be helpful.

Many Thanks!

Thank you Loren and wvicary. Yes I do have the 2nd battery. I just replaced it as well, double checked all terminals. I'm about to start checking every fuse with a tester. I have to imagine I'm missing something fairly simple.

• 1 month later...

Update - The car has been at the P Dealer now for 30 days. Just heard that "Kessy is not recognizing the electronic steering rack" and They need to install a new one. It has taken 12 hours of labor to get to this point. Does this seem reasonable.... I'm a little suprised at the amount of time to troubleshoot.

It looks like a new steering rack and 6 hours of labor more to go.... Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...