Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bentley Porsche 911 Carrera Service Manual (996) - Book Review

Thanks JFP, thats similar to the bentley 986 manual I have, 2005 edition printed in 2010.

It basically talks about how to do things on the outside of the engine but they don't seem to want you to dig deeper. The most in deepth would be removing the cylinder head cover.

Any suggestion where I can get more info (book) on disassembling/rebuilding a 2004 986S.

Aside from the Porsche website I gave you where you can buy pages from the official workshop manual here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/41726-wiring-diagram-for-996-turbo/?p=223332

I'm aware of only two other options:

1.) Attend Jake Raby school. The next one is in June

http://www.flat6innovations.com/classes/engine-rebuild-school

2.) Wait for Jake to release his engine bible. He had been reportedly working on it over the winter and last I heard was close to releasing it. Edit: here is the link where he talked about releasing it "this year":

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/743556-3-4-to-3-6-conversion-2.html

Edited by logray

• Moderators

Thanks JFP, thats similar to the bentley 986 manual I have, 2005 edition printed in 2010.

It basically talks about how to do things on the outside of the engine but they don't seem to want you to dig deeper. The most in deepth would be removing the cylinder head cover.

Any suggestion where I can get more info (book) on disassembling/rebuilding a 2004 986S.

You could also keep you eye out for one of the factory manual sets, they show up for sale from time to time.

I'll keep an eye out for that JFP.

Logan, I've tried setting up an account at the Porsche website, I can't get in. I've been trying through the USA link, I'm in Canada, it won't let me in. I've even tried on two different computers thinking the security settings might be holding me back but no luck.

They don't have a link for Canadians so Porsche must not need our buisness.

I haven't forgotten about Jakes course, time for me will be a factor, his book would be great if it could be had now.

While there is an entire section dedicated to engine removal; there is relatively little depth on engine disassembly or assembly.

Is there stuff about the internals of the head at least?

The description lists this:

"Step-by-step engine and cylinder head removal and installation."

If you're removing the head, that certainly implies things like using lock/hold down tools, proper engine rotation/etc.

But I guess there is no "engine disassemble and reassemble" chapter listed huh.

I'll keep an eye out for that JFP.

Logan, I've tried setting up an account at the Porsche website, I can't get in. I've been trying through the USA link, I'm in Canada, it won't let me in. I've even tried on two different computers thinking the security settings might be holding me back but no luck.

They don't have a link for Canadians so Porsche must not need our buisness.

I haven't forgotten about Jakes course, time for me will be a factor, his book would be great if it could be had now.

Sorry I haven't bought stuff from that site yet. There are RT.org members who have though... maybe they could be of more assistance.

• Moderators

While there is an entire section dedicated to engine removal; there is relatively little depth on engine disassembly or assembly.

Is there stuff about the internals of the head at least?

The description lists this:

"Step-by-step engine and cylinder head removal and installation."

If you're removing the head, that certainly implies things like using lock/hold down tools, proper engine rotation/etc.

But I guess there is no "engine disassemble and reassemble" chapter listed huh.

Yes, there is a good section on cylinder heads (section 15, some 75 or so pages) that covers both the 3.4 and 3.6 engines, and even a reasonable section on the IMS as well. But if you are looking for detail on splitting the cases, and taking the crank and rods out of the carrier, that is where it is lacking. Over all, it is a good reference book, just not a complete one.

So then... isn't it fair to say that if you had the new 996 Bentley you have good procedures on the M96.03 heads.

Then if you have the old 3.4L workshop manual you have good procedures for the case (because the 3.6L and 3.4L are pretty much the same inside, aside from some measurements).

With that combo one should have a good set of instructions for complete M96.03 disassembly/reassembly.

With the current alternatives being going to Jake's class, buying the pages one by one, or buying a used set of workshop manuals that cover the M96.03 engine (i have seen the older sets floating around, but very few of the newer ones).

• Moderators

That would be a pretty good start. Problem with the OEM manuals is that they are all out of print now, so you have to bide your time until one comes up at a reasonable price, unless you want to subscribe to Porsche's program or buy the pages one at a time. One of the hardest to acquire are the OBDII manuals, which are extremely useful and often sell at stiff prices.

• 1 month later...

I attended the Bentley session at Porsche Tech Tactics this year and the amount of effort they put into making this book was incredible. I have my copy on my bookshelf in my garage (right next to my 986 one which I have used a ton) waiting for when I need it. They would not give any information on when or if they would be doing a 997 book.

Brad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is pretty useless when it comes to replacing the AOS or water pump, with the engine still in the car. IMHO, there really is no excuse for them to not actually document these VERY common repairs the way an actual DIYer would have to do it. "Waterpump shown with engine removed for clarity" is useless, as the WHOLE difficulty is removing it with all the crap around it. Nothing worse than a false sense of security and optimism, only to be totally & completely frustrated. Thank goodness for sites like Renntech and Rennlist where real practical advice can be found. I also find their lack of detailed explanation of how to unlatch, unlock, or otherwise decouple the myriad of puzzle box electrical connectors so many european manufacturers seem to love, for what seems like no real reason. I am a mechanical engineer, and have been working instrumentation & controls my whole life, and I am often stumped by how those crazy connectors come apart. When the Bentley (in many places) says "disconnect sensor from harness", which is so patently obvious, but doesn't tell you HOW to disconnect, again, frustration. Nice reference, and a good resource, but way below the level of some earlier Bentleys I've owned, especially for the price.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the complete and updated set of Porsche WSM, OBDII, Diagnostic and each year wiring diagrams for the 996.  They cover just about everything except rebuilding the transmission.  Well perhaps that's because Porsche never gave part numbers in PET for the transmission internals until 2006) 

The manuals are in PDF and unlike the ones online they are updated with both engines and changes thru 2005.  I like being able to search, print out the pages needed, and not worring about getting the book dirty for next time.

• 2 months later...

I own both the Bentley Publishers as well as the 101 Projects for your Porsche 911.  The books complement each other and are great reference for the do-it-yourself Porsche Owner.

I have saved a few thousand dollars on mechanics doing some diagnostic and mechanical work on my car myself.  The books paid for themselves a few times over with just the first job, a 10 minute replacement of the Mass Airflow Sensor my local Porsche Dealer had offered to change for big bucks.  

I have to say that there are a lot of resources available online, specially here on Renntech, but it really helps to have these books on your workbench, next to your tools and car.  I cant imagine searching for WIFI signal when I am getting grease all over myself.

• 5 months later...

Before I purchased the Bentley Publishers 911 Carrera Manual (Type 996), I sent them a question asking if the Factory Exclusive Option X51 engine's mechanical differences and components are covered. I received an answer from Tech Editor Andrew saying "Yes it covers that engine. It has specific engine parts that make it an X51 option, ..." With that in mind, I purchased the manual. Nowhere in it are the mechanical differences and components listed or mentioned.

That said, I am very happy with all other aspects of the manual. I have already benefited greatly on minor DIY projects in my relatively short 996 C4S ownership. Just a little disappointed re: lack of the promised X51 info to learn more about my "new" engine (as PCUSA told me to subscribe to PIWIS TSI to get what I wanted).

Forums like this one are awesome for their helpful info. Thanks all!

• Moderators

Before I purchased the Bentley Publishers 911 Carrera Manual (Type 996), I sent them a question asking if the Factory Exclusive Option X51 engine's mechanical differences and components are covered. I received an answer from Tech Editor Andrew saying "Yes it covers that engine. It has specific engine parts that make it an X51 option, ..." With that in mind, I purchased the manual. Nowhere in it are the mechanical differences and components listed or mentioned.

That said, I am very happy with all other aspects of the manual. I have already benefited greatly on minor DIY projects in my relatively short 996 C4S ownership. Just a little disappointed re: lack of the promised X51 info to learn more about my "new" engine (as PCUSA told me to subscribe to PIWIS TSI to get what I wanted).

Forums like this one are awesome for their helpful info. Thanks all!

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

Bentley manuals are good value and cover a lot topics, but not everything,  Topics like the X51 or Turbo can get rather intensive and quite specific, and most 996 owners would not really be interested anyway.

• 1 month later...

Overall a great manual with nice pictures, illustrations, and specs.  I'm sure it will save me much more than the cost of the book. 

So far the biggest omissions I noticed are lack of info on shifter adjustment and shift cables, and the external parts of the AOS system.  Still far better than most manuals that I had for old VW models.

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2015 at 4:10 PM, Oh1-911 said:

Overall a great manual with nice pictures, illustrations, and specs.  I'm sure it will save me much more than the cost of the book. 

So far the biggest omissions I noticed are lack of info on shifter adjustment and shift cables, and the external parts of the AOS system.  Still far better than most manuals that I had for old VW models.

I'll be getting a copy of this. Thanks.

Edited by WardToups