Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fogging engine for winter storage?

I have read several posts on winter storage but nothing on the subject of fogging by spraying engine storage spray into the intake. I do this on several other engines every fall but as we all know, Porsches are different. My only concern so far is about contaminating the MAF sensor, but it could probably be removed during fogging.

Anybody have experience or thoughts on this? I know some say to start the engine regularly rather than mothball it, but for me this is not practical.

Thanks

Here is (most) my Winter Hibernation check list:

1) All maintenance up-to-date

2) Fresh/recent oil change

3) Full concours detail, interior, exterior, wheels pulled

4) Fuel stabilized with Sta-Bil (run in a few miles)

5) Gas tank very-very full

6) Tires over filled with nitrogen (approx 58 PSI)

7) Park on a thick mil plastic painter's tarp (Home Depot)

8) Several pounds of desiccators in cabin, windows closed

9) Park out of gear, NO e-brake, chock wheels with small wood blocks

10) Plug in Porsche battery maintainer

11) Lock doors, put car keys in floor safe ( or safe deposit box)

12) Cover car with a high quality car cover (Porsche and Carnewal)

13) Call insurance company, and suspend most coverages (save $$$)

14) Hand roll car about 8-12" the first Saturday of each month

15) Last month of storage, do step #14 weekly

16) In the spring, bleed excess air

17) Prior to starting in the spring, manually turn over engine in 5th gear, or pull fuel pump fuse, and crank over

18) Make sure car is running fine, no noises, leaks, bug/animal infestation etc.

19) Go on a +300 mile drive, and buy fresh fuel

• Moderators

I have read several posts on winter storage but nothing on the subject of fogging by spraying engine storage spray into the intake. I do this on several other engines every fall but as we all know, Porsches are different. My only concern so far is about contaminating the MAF sensor, but it could probably be removed during fogging.

Anybody have experience or thoughts on this? I know some say to start the engine regularly rather than mothball it, but for me this is not practical.

Thanks

Fogging is not necessary, and could actually lead to problems. Do not be concerned about not starting the engine, that is the best way to store it as intermittent short running stints can be quite bad for it. Prep it and just let it sit.

Here's my winter regimen. Change oil and filter, wash and wax, put on hard top, put on winter wheels and tires, then drive the heck out of it.

Porsches are car, they are made to be driven and work great in the cold and snow with the right tires. What a waste to put one away for months.

Edited by Dharn55

Yikes. Winterizing sounds like a big pain in the ***. Glad to be in CA (except for taxes, crazies, etc)

It's easy. You just time your maintenance in the early fall. The most time is spent on the interior and exterior detailing. All the other steps are just a few minutes of time.

Porsches are cars,not hey are made to be driven and work great in the cold and snow with the right tires. What a waste to put one away for months.

Mine are toys. Not a mode of transportation. The 993 Turbo sees about 8,000 miles of sun & fun from March till late November. The Boxster gets about 7,000 (s)miles from May till mid October. I drive mine more than +90% of Porsche owners. In the winter months I have other hobbies. Plus, the break does us good. Each Spring I pull out 2 "new" Porsches every year. Bliss.

Here's my winter regimen. Change oil and filter, wash and wax, put on hard top, put on winter wheels and tires, then drive the heck out of it.

Porsches are cars,not hey are made to be driven and work great in the cold and snow with the right tires. What a waste to put one away for months.

Haha. Yep. Got my winter tires on. Hard top installed and ready for a 30 cm (12 inch ) dump of snow today. Im thinking that might be a little much for the c4 but ill give it a try.