Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Age vs Mileage on Spark plug replacement ?

I have a 2002 Porsche 911/996 Carrera 2 with only 23,950 on the clock (odometer) however, the car is 10 years old,and the spark plugs have never been replaced,so Im thinking about doing that.

A few questions: the car is running fine,and as said above has low mileage,however it is over 10 years old, so is there a need to change them due to time ? Also, there are so many different types and makes to choose from including the newer Indium (< hope I spelt that right ? ) plugs, which a lot of guys recommend,and I hear Bosch isn't that good anymore ?

So should I change them based on the time, even though it's running ok, even with the low mileage ? And what type and brand is best for the car ? Thanks Dave.

• Moderators

If memory serves, the plug should be swapped out at 60k miles or every four years on your model, so you are "past due". Changing plugs early also never hurts as they are a “wear item”.

As for plug types, the OEM plugs are pretty good units, but we have also had excellent results from Denso Iridium’s on several cars, just be sure you get the correct heat range to match the factory plugs (Denso IK20 for your car).

Edited by JFP in PA

Any other suggestions on spark plug types and brand names, and as said, I only have about 24,000 miles on the clock,however it is 10 years old (I'm driving it more often now verses saving it) so is time a factor for spark plug replacement , and why ?

And speaking of time, I have changed the coolant, and brake fluids , but how about the gearbox lube, rear end lube, power steering fluid , all original, again only 24 K miles, but 10 years old, is it necessary to be concerned about the latter as well, is time a factor ??? I live close to Daytona beach Fl ( Florida humidity factor ? )

Thanks Brit Dave

Ok thanks Loren, but what about the "TIME" factor ? The spark plugs have been in there for 10 years, but only 24K on the odometer, the car runs good, so should I change them due to time, 10 years ? And what about the fluid questions below ?

Speaking of time, I have always changed the coolant, and brake fluids as needed, but how about the, gearbox lube, rear end lube, and power steering fluid , those three are all original fluids/ lube, again only 24 K miles, but 10 years old, is it necessary to be concerned about the latter as well, is time a factor for the gearbox,rear end,and power steering fluids, with only 24 K on the vehicle, do I need to drain & change those three ??? I live close to Daytona beach Fl ( Florida humidity factor ? )

Thanks Brit Dave

Hopefully, you'll be able to get all 6 plugs out without any issues. The potential problem with 10 year old plugs is seizing. If you think your car is running great now, wait to you see how new plugs "feel". And it's a good time to inspect your coil packs.

I would not worry about your power steering fluid (Pentosin) but I'd recommend you change your 75W90 gear oil with OEM fluid. Basically, you are "ZEROing" out your maintenance schedule with a used car. Great idea and work. Enjoy.

Edited by White987S

• Admin

Ok thanks Loren, but what about the "TIME" factor ? The spark plugs have been in there for 10 years, but only 24K on the odometer, the car runs good, so should I change them due to time, 10 years ? And what about the fluid questions below ?

Speaking of time, I have always changed the coolant, and brake fluids as needed, but how about the, gearbox lube, rear end lube, and power steering fluid , those three are all original fluids/ lube, again only 24 K miles, but 10 years old, is it necessary to be concerned about the latter as well, is time a factor for the gearbox,rear end,and power steering fluids, with only 24 K on the vehicle, do I need to drain & change those three ??? I live close to Daytona beach Fl ( Florida humidity factor ? )

Thanks Brit Dav

If you look at the factory maintenance schedule for your model and year it says every 60,000 miles or every 4 years.

Engine oil and transmission should also be changed not necessarily because of dirt but perhaps some breakdown and moisture content from not being driven. Brake fluid should be very high on that list.

Power steering should be fine.

I changed my plugs at 70,000 miles (that is when I did the 60K maintenance).

I put in BERU Z129's and they are great plugs.

The spark plug has no moving parts so I don't understand the logic behind changing them every four years.

It is how many times the plugs have "fired".

If your car is in a good state of tune, time means nothing for plugs. It is the amount of miles you put

on the car. Of course, that is my unscientific logic. If Porsche says every four years... you can't do no harm replacing them. Mine will get replaced again at 140K.