Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing spray paint overspray

Hi again everyone

So the other day i drove to the local supermarket and parked my 2000 Millenium edition at the far end, away from the entrance. I normally don't do this, but it was just washed and i wanted to keep it clean.

To my surprise, i come out with some groceries and i find a guy parked a couple of spots down spraying some wood pieces with spray paint and the slight wind was carrying some of the white paint over my way. After letting him know what a complete idiot he was I left and went home to survey the damage.

So the one side of my car and the hood now have a very faint but visually noticeable (under the right light) white paint overspray. It's actually more noticeable by running your hand over the bodywork. The body paint is metallic and maybe thats why its not too noticeable but you can definitely feel it.

Can anyone suggest a method to remove this overspray without damaging the paint. Claying the paint didn't seem to work.

Help!!

Clay bar it's very simple wet car rub everything down by hand with clay bar and all over spray is gone.

I agree with, White99c2. With the added step of using a mid quality quick detailer as the lube for a high quality clay bar. Turn the clay bar frequently. Do a small test panel first, to see if the results are good. Then proceed with the entire car and windows. After the car is clayed, rewash and then it needs to be either waxed or sealed, depending on what products you like to use. I like RejeX sealant, purchased from Bumperplugs.

You may be lucky, since you caught this damage early. The sooner you try, the better. If this were me, I would have found a way to hold the responsible party liable (the idiot with the spray cans).

If your test panel does not yield good results, I'd suggest you seek out a HIGH quality detailer ASAP. Expect to pay at least $800 for a full exterior (no interior) detail to include washing, claying, washing, paint correction (polishing of 2-3 stages) and sealant/wax. You might even consider speaking with your insurance company, and make a Comp. Claim for this damage, if things escalate.

If you are a DIY kind of owner, there are some great web sites to use for exterior car detailing and polishing with a Porter Cable R.O. polisher.

Quick story. In early May I took my Boxster out of storage for its maiden 2012 voyage. Parked at a Starbucks, as I've done for the past 3 years. They were experiencing malfunctions with the landscape sprinkler system, unbeknownst to me. The Starbucks employees knew, but did not inform their customers. Long story short, my car got a ton of hard water sports. It just came out of a 6 month winter hibernation. Before going into storage, I just had a 2-stage full exterior detail done. Starbucks put me in contact with the strip mall owner. The property management company sent me a check for $810 to get my car re-detailed. It took me about 2-months of follow-up with the property management company and Starbucks, but the persistence paid off, in my case.

Thanks everyone....I used a clay bar this time with Mother's detailing spray and it looks like it all came off. You can actually hear the difference between the the parts of the bodywork that are "clean" and the parts that have an overspray coating. Pretty amazing. Car looks totatly different now.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone....I used a clay bar this time with Mother's detailing spray and it looks like it all came off. You can actually hear the difference between the the parts of the bodywork that are "clean" and the parts that have an overspray coating. Pretty amazing. Car looks totatly different now.

Thanks again!

I'm glad the clay bar worked out well. After using clay bar, you should use paint cleaner (almost any brand will do) and then a very light abrasive such as Menzerna PO85rd Final Polish. You can check out detailing products at www.autopia-carcare.com or give them a call.