Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just bought an early 09 C2S cab 2 weeks ago, which I think is in superb condition with 85k KMs.  Took it to local Porsche Center in Dubai for the 6 year clutch fluid change, they charged me AED 1306 ($355).  They used  000 043 305 13 (6 litres) Transmission oil.  The short drive home seemed to be much more responsive.

Simon

• 2 months later...

The part in the picture you gave the link to is a replacement transmission pan (Porsche part number 9G131202500) which retails in the US for $305  http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/porsche/911/9g132102500/2009-year/carrera-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/maintenance-and-lubrication-cat/transmission-components-scat/?part_name=trans-pan  The pan itself contains a filter element which is not serviced separately. It filters the clutch oil, the gear box oil is not filtered.

s-l1600.jpg

My car is 6 years old and want to replace the PDK clutch oil.

To replace the oil filter - the whole pan should be replaced.

Is this pan serves clutches compartment only?

Visually it looks to me like it covers the gearbox/cogs part - if it's true than gearbox/cogs oil also has to be changed.

So what's the situation with it?

• Moderators

The part in the picture you gave the link to is a replacement transmission pan (Porsche part number 9G131202500) which retails in the US for $305  http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/porsche/911/9g132102500/2009-year/carrera-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/maintenance-and-lubrication-cat/transmission-components-scat/?part_name=trans-pan  The pan itself contains a filter element which is not serviced separately. It filters the clutch oil, the gear box oil is not filtered.

s-l1600.jpg

My car is 6 years old and want to replace the PDK clutch oil.

To replace the oil filter - the whole pan should be replaced.

Is this pan serves clutches compartment only?

Visually it looks to me like it covers the gearbox/cogs part - if it's true than gearbox/cogs oil also has to be changed.

So what's the situation with it?

The pan in the photo mounts on the bottom of the gear box, but contains the clutch oil filter (gear box is not filtered). Removing the pan does drain the gear box.  In order to change your clutch oil, you need access to a PIWIS unit during the process; it is not a simple drain and refill.

If above is true - replacing oil filter makes clutches oil replacement from 150$ to 150$+480$.

And this is materials only - labor costs will grow significantly too.

I'm really wondering how important is to replace the filter in a car that have reached 6 years but is very far from the recommended 60,000 miles mark...

• Moderators

If above is true - replacing oil filter makes clutches oil replacement from 150$ to 150$+480$.

And this is materials only - labor costs will grow significantly too.

I'm really wondering how important is to replace the filter in a car that have reached 6 years but is very far from the recommended 60,000 miles mark...

Like the Tiptronic before it, the PDK can benefit from early service.  The clutch oil becomes fouled with solid debris from the wet clutch packs, which the filter removes.  And like any filter, the more it filters out, the less it flows.

• 1 month later...

my experience with pdk clutch oil replacment. The clutch oil that came out of my C2S looked like new! 40k kms. as our moderators have said the piwis is necessary so no diy on this one. since the clutch oil looked new i would say that there is actually minimal wear on the wet clutches after 40k. these things are robust! the filter is not part of the maintenenace requirement. i also had the gearbox oil replaced and it too looked like new. all for peace of mind. after the change there seemed to be a different feel to the pdk. though responsive there were a bit of jerks. i asked the dealer to recheck teh level and sure enough the level was low and about 400ml had to be added. everytyhing was fine after..  

Thanks a lot for the info.

I didn't do it yet - my dealer (the only 1 in the country) said to me that same oil should be used for both gearbox and clutches.

Since this contradicts all information that we know - obviously they don't know what they're doing and instead of good it will do only damage.

I plan to visit them and review together the info they have.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, syswizard said:

Looking for similar instructions for a 981 (boxster/cayman) 2013-2016......

anyone ?

Actually, the PDK transmission is exactly the same as the manual gearbox with a drain and fill plug.   Do a gravity drain, and refill using the fill plug.  ALWAYS remove the fill plug before removing the drain, so that you know you will be able to refill it once it is drained.

The "kicker" on the PDK car is changing the clutch fluid, which should be changed twice for every time the gearbox is changed once, and requires the use of a PIWIS unit to do it properly.

I saw this article : https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/981725-pdk-clutch-oil-service.html

re: "the oil fill hole is quite difficult to get to and the pump he used had a 90 degree elbow fitting on the end of it to get to the hole."

Where exactly is the fill hole on my 981 PDK ?

Other than monitoring the fluid level, what else does the PIWIS do ?

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, syswizard said:

But I see the one for the differential side.....I take it the clutch side in opposite of it...i.e. on the other side of the PDK ?

The gear oil drain plug is in the transmission (plastic) pan. and the gear oil fill plug is on the same side, a few inches up on the case. Both plugs are hex head and a little larger than clutch oil fill plug. The clutch oil drain plug is on the tranny pan. and the fill plug is on opposite side as gear oil fill plug.

Thanks much JFP for your expertise...and I thought as much.

However, going back to the PIWIS function during refill of Pentosin.....I take it the ignition key must be turned on during the fill operation....

so PIWIS  can measure the Pentosin level. Is that right ?

Wouldn't the clutch oil cooling system be off when the car is started after a 24 hour stay in the garage ?

Edited by syswizard

• Moderators
5 hours ago, syswizard said:

Thanks much JFP for your expertise...and I thought as much.

However, going back to the PIWIS function during refill of Pentosin.....I take it the ignition key must be turned on during the fill operation....

so PIWIS  can measure the Pentosin level. Is that right ?

Wouldn't the clutch oil cooling system be off when the car is started after a 24 hour stay in the garage ?

The clutch oil is changed with the car warmed up, the PIWIS system turns off the clutch oil cooling during this process. The PIWIS does not measure the oil level, that is done by eyeball while the PIWIS controls the clutch oil cooling loop.  It sounds a bit weird, but that is how it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
21 hours ago, syswizard said:

Thanks JFP,  but exactly how is the pentosin level "eye-balled" ? Is there a glass level indicator on the PDK or what ?

Go back to the first page of this thread, the procedure is covered there.  Basically, once warmed up to the correct temp range, and the PIWIS system is active, you remove a plug and wait until it stops coming out.

On 9/15/2018 at 3:37 AM, syswizard said:

Thanks JFP,  but exactly how is the pentosin level "eye-balled" ? Is there a glass level indicator on the PDK or what ?

NO - the oil filling hole is your only indication.

Maybe there is a way to monitor this via PIWIS but i assume you don't have one.