Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello,

I only wanted the Gearbox oil to be changed this time and i would say it took 1 hour approx totally with them driving in and out from the workshop.

I cant say i notice any difference in performance, it is more "a piece of mind" thing i would say.

The mechanic said the fluid looked nice and Clean and didnt not smell burnt or anything, i did not Watch all the time

but went in the work shop to have a look underneath the car and if i am changing the gear oil again i Think i will do it myself.

The PDK Clutch fluid i will change next year when the car is going in for a major service.

Edited by Boxsters

• Moderators

Just be aware that the clutch oil is the one that takes most of the abuse in the PDK, and has a shorter maintenance interval (you change the clutch oil twice for every one gearbox oil change).

From the manual:

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 120K miles or 12 years PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 60 K miles or 6 years

Hello,

JFP thanks but i figure that the Clutch fluid will be 5 years and approx 40 K miles at the major service next year so

it should be well inside the limits set by factory intervall.

I wanted gear oil changed because of all the mechanical gears and bearing material from the break in of parts in the gearbox.

• Moderators

Hello,

JFP thanks but i figure that the Clutch fluid will be 5 years and approx 40 K miles at the major service next year so

it should be well inside the limits set by factory intervall.

I wanted gear oil changed because of all the mechanical gears and bearing material from the break in of parts in the gearbox.

Well, if you are going to watch them do the clutch oil as well, just don't be surprised at how ugly it looks when the dump it.

• Moderators

Hello,

JFP do you mean that i should have changed the clutch oil instead or both at this visit at OPC ?

I would have; the clutch oil will have the most crud in it, and see the worst degradation from heat exposure.  That is why the factory suggests changing it twice in the same time/mileage frame the gear box oil is changed only once in.  If you were concerned about break-in debris in the oil, I would have done both, particularly as at this time, only the dealers have the correct system (PIWIS) to do the clutch oil.  The gearbox oil can be changed by any competent shop or indie as it does not need the PIWIS.

• 4 months later...

Is the gear oil the same for a PDK with an LSD? Or does it require a different oil or an additive like other transaxles with an LSD?

Just got it confirmed by a Porsche Master Mechanic - same oil. 

Edited by ADias

• 9 months later...

I'm due for the PDK clutch oil change. I had to request a quote from my local dealer four times. They came back today with $800 for the oil change and $780 for the filter. Is there a filter? Are these prices standard? Will anything besides a PIWIS work on the oil change? Is there a step by step procedure written up yet? Is it reasonable for an indie to attempt this service? And so forth ...

Thanks in advance for any information you can add.

I'm due for the PDK clutch oil change. I had to request a quote from my local dealer four times. They came back today with $800 for the oil change and $780 for the filter. Is there a filter? Are these prices standard? Will anything besides a PIWIS work on the oil change? Is there a step by step procedure written up yet? Is it reasonable for an indie to attempt this service? And so forth ...

I think you should seek another dealer opinion. :)

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

At this time, the PIWIS is the only system that can access the PDK system for this service.  While the gear box oil can simply be drained, the clutch oil (which is a totally different type of oil) requires the use of the PIWIS to change correctly.  The clutch oil needs to be changed twice for every time the gear box oil is changed, and considering that a new clutch package for one of these costs $5K alone at the parts counter, I would be changing it more often than the spec.  Yes, there is a filter (from what I've read, it should retail for around $150), and I have seen dealer quotes ranging from $450 to $900 to do the service, depending upon filter change.

From the manual:

PDK transmission oil - approx. 3.12 quarts / 2.95 liters ATF transmission oil Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 - change at 120K miles or 12 years PDK clutch oil - approx. 5.49 quarts / 5.2 liters Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 - change at 60 K miles or 6 years The following procedure is from the 2009 Technik Service information book: Oil filling The correct hydraulic oil level is important for operating the transmission without running into problems. The following preconditions must be met in order to check or correct the oil level: • Engine must be idling • Vehicle must be horizontal in both longitudinal and transverse axis • Hydraulic oil temperature between 86° F. and 104° F. (30° C and 40° C) • Selector-lever position “P” • Clutch cooling volume flow must be switched off (using PIWIS Tester in Oil fill mode) • Retain the described states for approx. 1 minute to allow the oil to settle • Open screw plug on oil overflow bore and collect emerging oil until only drops of oil are emerging • Once there is no more oil emerging, top up the clutch fluid until oil emerges at the oil overflow bore • To avoid damaging the clutches, the procedure must be completed within 5 minutes (PIWIS Tester exits Oil fill mode automatically after 5 minutes) The correct oil level is also important to avoid damaging the gear wheels in the transmission. There is also an overflow bore for this, which is located on the opposite side. The oil level can be checked in the usual way here.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any information on the PDK filter? I understand that this filter is integrated into the transmission oil pan and is therefore quite an expensive part. Does this filter the PDK gearbox oil or PDK clutch oil? Is there a specified interval on when this filter/oil pan should be replaced?

Thanks.

• Admin

Does anyone have any information on the PDK filter? I understand that this filter is integrated into the transmission oil pan and is therefore quite an expensive part. Does this filter the PDK gearbox oil or PDK clutch oil? Is there a specified interval on when this filter/oil pan should be replaced?

Thanks.

It is always helpful here if you tell us the exact model and year of your car.

To my knowledge there is no ATF filter in the PDK.

As stated above the PDK  transmission get Porsche ATF and the differential get Porsche gear oil.

Thanks.

As stated above the PDK  transmission get Porsche ATF and the differential get Porsche gear oil.

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned this. My vehicle is a 2009 911 Carrera with the PDK transmission.

The filter I am referring to is below:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-pdk-trans-service-kit-911-boxster-cayman-genuine-porsche-9g132102500kt?gclid=Cj0KEQiA5dK0BRCr49qDzILe74UBEiQA_6gA-gF8wCOJ-kgeBmtbaZJ_sc7nL65P75VDY7gGrrZbhLoaAlRm8P8HAQ

My local Porsche dealer quoted me $670 plus tax (Canadian) for this part if it requires replacement. The dealership advisor did not seem cofident in recommending the replacement of this filter. My car is at 164,000 kms/102,000 miles.

• Moderators

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned this. My vehicle is a 2009 911 Carrera with the PDK transmission.

The filter I am referring to is below:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-pdk-trans-service-kit-911-boxster-cayman-genuine-porsche-9g132102500kt?gclid=Cj0KEQiA5dK0BRCr49qDzILe74UBEiQA_6gA-gF8wCOJ-kgeBmtbaZJ_sc7nL65P75VDY7gGrrZbhLoaAlRm8P8HAQ

My local Porsche dealer quoted me $670 plus tax (Canadian) for this part if it requires replacement. The dealership advisor did not seem cofident in recommending the replacement of this filter. My car is at 164,000 kms/102,000 miles.

The part in the picture you gave the link to is a replacement transmission pan (Porsche part number 9G131202500) which retails in the US for $305  http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/porsche/911/9g132102500/2009-year/carrera-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/maintenance-and-lubrication-cat/transmission-components-scat/?part_name=trans-pan  The pan itself contains a filter element which is not serviced separately. It filters the clutch oil, the gear box oil is not filtered.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks.

That filter is part of the pan cover. The cover and filter are replaced if the oil plug cannot be re-used, which seems to be the case in some early PDK cars.

Edited by ADias

Thanks.

That filter is part of the pan cover. The cover and filter are replaced if the oil plug can be re-used, which seems to be the case in some early PDK cars.

Thanks for the response. I believe you meant to say that the cover/filter are replaced if the oil plug cannot be reused correct? I am assuming this is if the oil plug strips or leaks. Does this mean that if the oil plug never strips, the original filter/pan may be used for the life of the vehicle?

• 2 weeks later...

A workshop mistake took place yesterday on my 997.2 S, PDK.

I had the clutch fluid (Pentosin FFL3) in the PDK Clutch compartment changed last month at six years. On the annual service I asked for the transmission oil in the gear compartment to be changed as well. They put Pentosin FFL3 again instead of the 75W90 Mobil Lube due to a workshop mix-up!!!!!

I discovered the mistake by looking at the lubricant part number and the on the invoice but only after I drove for 100 km. The gearbox will be drained and flushed and filled with the proper lubricant.

BUT should i worry about premature gear wear because i drove with the wrong fluid in the gear compartment? Your views please will be appreciated!

Edited by renos

• Moderators

A workshop mistake took place yesterday on my 997.2 S.

I had the clutch fluid (Pentosin FFL3) changed last month at six years. On the annual service I asked for the transmission oil in the gear compartment to be changed as well. They put Pentosin FFL3 again instead of the 75W90 Mobil Lube due to a workshop mix-up!!!!!

I discovered the mistake by looking at the part number on the invoice but only after I drove for 100 km. The gearbox will be drained and flushed and filled with the proper lubricant.

BUT should i worry about premature gear wear because i drove with the wrong fluid in the gear compartment? Your views please will be appreciated!

If the gear box was not exposed to heavy loads or high temps, you are probably fine.  I would make the suggestions to re-change the gear box oil again in about 500-1K miles, just to make sure all of the wrong fluid is flushed out of the system.

The Pentosin product is a hydraulic fluid, not a high shear lubricant which is what the gear oil is.  As long as nothing was galled or bearings overloaded during the mix-up, and all of the Pentosin is flushed out, the gear box should be OK.

I had the clutch fluid (Pentosin FFL3) changed last month at six years. On the annual service I asked for the transmission oil in the gear compartment to be changed as well. They put Pentosin FFL3 again instead of the 75W90 Mobil Lube due to a workshop mix-up!!!!!

I discovered the mistake by looking at the part number on the invoice but only after I drove for 100 km. The gearbox will be drained and flushed and filled with the proper lubricant.

If the gear box was not exposed to heavy loads or high temps, you are probably fine.  I would make the suggestions to re-change the gear box oil again in about 500-1K miles, just to make sure all of the wrong fluid is flushed out of the system.

The Pentosin product is a hydraulic fluid, not a high shear lubricant which is what the gear oil is.  As long as nothing was galled or bearings overloaded during the mix-up, and all of the Pentosin is flushed out, the gear box should be OK.

Thank you for your reply and your recommendation for re-changing the oil.

The ambient temperature was around 18 centigrade. During my 100 km drive I used high revs and sequential changes several times, but it wasn't as if I was racing.

Would any potential damage show immediately or would this appear after a long time?

• Moderators

Thank you for your reply and your recommendation for re-changing the oil.

The ambient temperature was around 18 centigrade. During my 100 km drive I used high revs and sequential changes several times, but it wasn't as if I was racing.

Would any potential damage show immediately or would this appear after a long time?

Hard to say.  As I mentioned, the two fluids are entirely different in their physical characteristic's, but you caught it fairly quickly.  I would keep an eye out for two things: weird noises (signs of unusual bearing or gear wear), or gear oil leakage (hydraulic fluids are formulated to soften and protect internal seals, which the oil seals in the gear box may not appreciate).