Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello all,

I am looking at a 997 and have a few questions.

1) How does the 997 track and steer compared to the 996?

2) How does the 997 brakes compair?

3) Is seating position about the same( View to hood sides etc.) ?

4) 6spd shifter feel and effort ( standard shifter) ?

5) I see Porsche puts on protective plastic on the rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheel for stone protection, anyone notice a lot of stone hits?

6) What do you feel is the most major improvement made?

I have a 2001 996 C2 6 spd with 30K and 1 year left on the porsche extended warr. . If I go for the 997 I would like to order one and most dealers tell me 6 months if they can even do it.

Any information will be helpful.

Thanks, stan

Have you thought about maybe driving both so YOU determine which you prefer and can answer most of these questions? I would think that your local P-Car dealer will have several 02+ 996s on the lot to choose from as well. Drive an 02+ so you can see the differences between your 99-01 996 and the 02+ 996, then drive the 997 and you will have quite a bit to take in. Sounds like a fun day at the dealer driving P-Cars :)

vdell,

Its hard to come to any opinion on a test ride when the dealers have you make 4 right turns and you are back at the dealership. Just curious if someone who owned a 996 traded in for a 997 and what they think.

Thanks,

Stan

Hello all,

I am looking at a 997 and have a few questions.

1) How does the 997 track and steer compared to the 996?

2) How does the 997 brakes compair?

3) Is seating position about the same( View to hood sides etc.) ?

4) 6spd shifter feel and effort ( standard shifter) ?

5) I see Porsche puts on protective plastic on the rear quarter panel in front of the rear wheel for stone protection, anyone notice a lot of stone hits?

6) What do you feel is the most major improvement made?

I have a 2001 996 C2 6 spd with 30K and 1 year left on the porsche extended warr. . If I go for the 997 I would like to order one and most dealers tell me 6 months if they can even do it.

Any information will be helpful.

Thanks, stan

I just traded my 2004 996 for a 2005 997. At first I did not like the 997, But it grew on me. I will do my best to answer your questions, however this will be my impression. Yours may be different.

1] I like the steering better, it seems to have a lighter feel to it.

2] The brakes seem to be about the same, maybe a little better.

3] Seating position seems to be about the same, however the mirrors are smaller, and take a little getting used to.

4] I have the standard shifter, it has a shorter throw, feels better than my stock standard 996 shifter, and the clutch feels much smoother.

5] I have only had the car about 1 week, have not noticed any chips, but like the 993, I am sure it's there for a reason

6] The engine feels much more responsive, it feels like it has much more torque than the 996, although I don't think it does. To me it's a lot more fun to drive, you will notice the responsiveness in the first mile you drive the car. I am glad I traded for it, I like it very much. Good luck .

Thanks Inx,

I Like the new body style alot, and changing out the clear protector plastic is a small price to pay.

The lighter steering would be great.I like the 966 interior better, but the 977 is also nice. Would prefer all the plastic to be black.

Stan

Thanks Inx,

I Like the new body style alot, and changing out the clear protector plastic is a small price to pay.

The lighter steering would be great.I like the 966 interior better, but the 977 is also nice. Would prefer all the plastic to be black.

Stan

I see you are from Chicago. If you want I can put you in touch with my guy in Springfield Illinois. I have no interest other than They are good to deal with, and he may be able to help you get one. email me if you want. jnx113@charter.net

i am shocked that they won't allow a more thorough test drive. MAYBE i could understand that if you looked AND carried yourself like absolute trash - but you currently "own" a porsche for goodness sake.

i'd defintely try another dealer if there is one close - sorry :(

I traded in a 2002 996 TT for the 997 Carrera S. I had 30 K miles on the turbo when its lease expired. Prior to that, I put 43 K miles on a 1999 996 C2.

I feel qualified to compare these vehicles.

Hands down, the 997 is a better car. Besides the looks and interior improvements, it is more fun to drive. It is more nimble. The steering feels more direct (rear vs all-wheel drive). It sounds better (all with stock exhaust). It revs higher (7300 vs 6250). I'm having a blast.

Although the acceleration is fine, I do miss that feeling of my stomach smashing against my spine on those rare occassions when I really opened up the Turbo. I often would hit the rev limiter if I was not paying attention - it came on that fast.

I have not fully broken in the 997 yet (4200 RPM for 2000 mi!!), but I can't wait to hear and feel that last thousand RPM's. I am sure I will enjoy the driving experience even more.

post-4731-1110409084_thumb.jpg