Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommendation on Bxtr S exhaust, 4 a deeper roar?

I am mildly interested in replacing the stock S exhaust with something that offers a deeper base roar, while not being too loud nor ricey.

Any recommendation? experience? sound clips?

I searched the board, and found some sound clips for tequipment sport exhaust, and it sounds pretty good. Anyone dyno that?

Also, what's the best place to find used parts / trade for these stuff? I am not sure if I am willing to spend 2000+ for it yet.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Also, what's the best place to find used parts / trade for these stuff?  I am not sure if I am willing to spend 2000+ for it yet.

Thanks for the reply!!!

I've seen some brand new ones in ebay going for about $1k. That's pretty reasonable in my opinion. Porsche does not state any bhp gains for the Tequipment Sports Exhaust. My guess is that it only serves to have a better sound...

I purchased a Remus sport exhaust which I haven't installed yet (car is in winter storage thru end of March). I found a video clip online for someone who installed on a '00 Boxster S. The Porsche dealer from who I purchased the Remus had recommended it over the Porsche OEM Tequipment Sport Exhaust (plus it cost only $700- including shipping).

http://www.flat-6.net/forum/printthread.php?t=12041

Once installed, I will glaldly provide my own feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

sinbad,

Do you have the Remus exhaust at your disposal to measure the inlet pipe sizes (OD/ID)? I've read somewhere that some pipes fit inside or outside the existing exhaust.

Since all Boxster exhausts are basically sized to the original 200HP engines, it makes sense that you would need to make the whole system larger to breathe more freely. At the same time, I'm guessing that most aftermarket manufacturers are going to make their parts "compatible" with the (smaller) existing exhaust components.

If various components fit "outside" the existing connectors, then there is hope that the exhaust can breathe better. My basis for my 200HP comment is that the Boxster is sized area-wise to about 200HP relative to the 911's 3.4L exhaust pipe sizes.

Thanks if you can provide any measurements!

Mee: I haven't installed that Remus exhaust yet (car is in winter storage until later this month). It is supposed to be direct bolt-on replacement. There is a video file online that someone took of their Remus installed on 986S '00 http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2130239695 I don't know for sure, but I think the exhaust will fit over the inlets (because there is a slit in the opening which will close when clamped.

Mee: I haven't installed that Remus exhaust yet (car is in winter storage until later this month).  ...  I don't know for sure, but I think the exhaust will fit over the inlets (because there is a slit in the opening which will close when clamped.

If you could for all of us, measure the pipe sizes when you get your car out of "cold storage"? Also, have you dyno'ed your car before? Maybe those interested in a Remus muffler could start a dyno pool for you!

Just installed the Remus Exhaust. So far I am very happy. :D

I'm impressed with the quality of the materials, the fit and the finish. Especially for the price, $700 to the door. This exhaust will easily last as long as the factory equip.

It took me about two hours, from putting the car on the ramps to taking it for a test drive. Everything lined up perfectly.

Now for what really counts, how it sounds. Deep, very deep at low revs (can barely tell a diff at idle). Above 3000 rpm it accents the intake growl (best way I can describe it). I've driven it with top up and top down. There is no resonance and droning. My fiancee actually likes it, she wouldn't ride in my 968 with the B&B cat back on it.

As far a performance goes there is a noticeable increase from 3500 rpm and up. The highly calibrated butt dyno says 5 to 10 in that range.

Ryan

So sounds like everyone's recommending the remus??? Sinbad, Ryan, you guys all said 700 including shipping, can you point me to where I can find one?? No one is selling it at ebay at this moment.

I have heard the video clip posted in the imagestation. I have to say it's definitely a bit stronger, but I am still not very convinced it's very noticeably stronger. I want something not too loud, but very noticeably deep / strong. I will appreciate more comments from people who heard it real life, as I am sure the video clip can't do much justice.

And yeah, also, any dyno'ed?? :>

boxtata: I purchased mine from Brandywine Porsche. They did have an ebay listing for some time. It ran along side with PSE (current ebay item number: 7966923042). Anyhow, I'm sure they will take orders via phone (877-666-2884, Tony). I will be installing my Remus soon (in therapy for bad back). So far, I can only vouch for the good quality build and finish. I wasn't looking for more hp when buying - just no drops in power on lower rpms with other exhausts; however, B&M Racing (the U.S. distributor for Remus) said I should expect about a 2% gain. It is my understanding that this muffler also has a lifetime warranty from Remus.

Edited by sinbad

Ok Sinbad, let me know how that goes when you have installed it. If you are also satisfied with yours, I will order mine soon afterwards :>

Can I also get some opinion that the Remus is better (at least for the $) than the tequipment?

Thanks a tons!

I just called brandywine porsche.. they do not have the 700 bucks remus deal anymore :(

Now it's 800... and the guy is pushing bb triflo to me instead...

RMF986 Ryan, did you say the BB is too much?? Can you please expand a little bit? Was it too ricey? too much resonance? or what?

Why is it so hard to shop for an exhaust ;('

thanks

• 4 months later...

I finally installed the Remus exhaust on my 2000 S. A back injury prevented me from installing earlier. Since install, I've only put about 50 miles on car. So far, I love it. It has a lower/deeper note while driving at the posted speeds in/around town. The idle loudness is about the same as factory. After that, it is slightly louder than factory by maybe 5 decibels. The lower exhaust note is what makes it seem louder. The rpms since to move more freely. I can't tell by butt dyno if any hp was gained (which wasn't my reason for buying in the first place - just better sound). I have been driving a little more agreesively since install to keep hearing that sweet sound. I weighed both factory and Remus on bathroom during switch. Both weight the same within 1-2 lbs. The entire install took me about 4 hours due to difficulty in reaching the top bolts on factory.