Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire / Wheel combos 02 996 C2 (GT3 Mk 1)

pfbz

Looking for some feedback on my tire/wheel decision! I've read as many threads as I could find. Some great info, but sometimes posts will describe a tire size that they like/works without giving the wheel offset, or talk about wheel offsets that work without discussing what tires they are using. I'm posting in this forum as it seems there is more experience on wheel/tire combos here vs. the regular carrera forum. My understanding is that from a wheel/tire perspective, I should be the same as what would work on a GT3MK1, minus the rolled fenders.Car: 2002 C2. OEM USA non-sport suspension. I plan on lowering with coil-overs or X74 if I can find a used setup.Use: Fast mountain roads, sometimes commuting, occasional semi-casual track days and DE without tire change.Objectives:

• [*]New performance oriented, dry-only tires.[*]Maximize use of stuff I already own ($$ I save can go to the coil-over fund!)[*]Improve looks by pushing tires outwards (oem setup recessed into wheel wells).[*]Use attractive wheels.[*]Improve under/oversteer balance.

What I have:

• [*]OEM 996 Carrera II wheels, 8x18 RO 50, 10x18 RO 65. Some curb rash, could use refinishing... Currently have snow tires mounted on them.[*]OEM 997 NB Carrera III wheels. 8x18 RO 57, 10x18 RO 58. I definitely like the the look of these better, but the front offset moves in the wrong direction.[*]Hankook Ventus Evo, 235/40-18 (nearly new, currently on 997 fronts)[*]Hankook Ventus Evo, 265/40-18 (nearly new, currently on 997 rears)[*]Four RSS 5mm spacers with longer bolts.

Thoughts on the following ideas, or any alternate ideas? Using 997 wheel set:

• [*]F: 8x18 RO 57 with current evo 235/40-18, Purchase 14mm spacers. (I've test fit this with 5mm spacers and there is a slight rub. Probably need to purchase larger 14mm or possibly 7mm spacer?)[*]R: 10x18 RO 58. Purchase evo's in 295/30-18. No rear spacers, as this is already the equivalent of using the 996 65 offset wheels with a 7mm spacer (Will the 295/30's fit on the narrow body with the lower offset wheels? Might need to roll the fender lip? Would evo's in 285/30-18 be a better choice?)

Using 996 wheel set:

• [*]Refinish wheels[*]remove 235/40-18's from 997 wheel set and put on 996 wheel set.[*]F: 8x18 RO 50, evo 235/40-18, optional 5mm spacers.[*]R: 10x18 RO 65. Purchase evo's in 295/30-18. Use 5mm rear spacers.

Edited by pfbz

• 4 weeks later...

Can we say...Too much information?...

You already have 18" wheels 10" wide. That's about the max unless you want to change the offset to something more aggressive OR move to 11" or 12" wide. Any of these situations, you will encounter some rubbing.

Since you want to do track events, that basically says you should stick with what you got.

I now run 11x18 with 295/30R18 with 45 offset in the rear and I had to roll the fenders. I don't do any track stuff...don't have any aspirations to mess with track stuff...because I am all about looks. and I LOVE the way mine look. And mine don't rub (after I rolled the fenders)

If I was YOU, I would refinish my factory rims to a different color (black?) buy some ultra high performance tires, and lower it with a H&R lowering springs/shocks kit. Only because you mentioned track events...Otherwise...the narrow body CAN fit the wide body rims/tires.

Oh and here's another piece of advice...I buy used rims and tires all the time, but I would not want to buy used suspension components (springs/shocks). Springs get "tired" and shocks lose their damping ability. if they were VERY cheap, I would consider (because I am all about looks!)

Can we say...Too much information?...

LOL... I can be a bit compulsive about the details, and in the Porsche tire/wheel world, lots of variables!I poured through countless threads and it drove me crazy when somebody would say "I'm running this tire and it works great" but no mention of offset, so I tried to be very complete in my info.At any rate, I am currently running the 997 Carrera III wheels, stock *997* size tires, 5mm spacer in rear, 5mm spacer in front and it seems to be working out quite well.So far zero complaints from PCM/ABS about the taller rear tires and handling seems to be balanced, but no track days yet. Cosmetically, the taller 40 series rear with the lower offset wheels definitely fills the rear wells much better. Have some H&R's on order that will drop the car a bit more, probably pull the 5mm spacers in the rear and put 14mm spacers in the front and test a bit more. i-K2g5cMG-L.jpg Edited by pfbz

As a Contributing Member you can view the TSBs on Porsche Approved Tires and Wheels. Lots of information there..

Yes... one of the first things I checked out. Thanks for the resource!

Seems like there are lots of 'non-approved' variations that are working out quite well for people though.