Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Got the pump with the composite impeller. Followed the instructions in the DIY post however, is not as easy as it seems. In my case will have to take out the thermostat (bought the metal gasket) also there is a hose that, will have to loose, the hose from the expansion tank that connects with a metal tube that is attached to motor case, and also the hose that connects from the thermostat to a tube on the left side of the engine compartment that goes all the way to the front (?) needed to be detached from the thermostat. It was sooooohard to disconnect that had to cut it (also bought the original Porsche hose), Is a pain to unscrew one of the thermostat screws. Got the Porsche coolant. Was working on the car Sunday but it has been such a hassle that had to stop. My shoulders were sore. Will try to continue next Sunday. I'm in no rush so will take my time. Envy those who did the job in 3 to 4 hours. Great cars but... **** German engineering. They design things like never are going to break. My wife's Mercedes is the same. So are the Leica cameras.

Edited by hi8ha

• Moderators

Support the engine, detach rear stabilizer bar, remove the retaining straps on the cats, remove the engine carrier bolts, swing the engine carrier rearward, have at the pump. Sometimes helps if the engine is lowered slightly.

Unfortunately no. Just installed it and did a search for the torque specs. The old pump was warbling aprox 1/8 of an inch. No wonder there was a vibration.It has taken this long since I have to have my right shoulder replaced, I'm right handed, and needed to rest it. Good thing I'm in no rush. The exhaust bracket was broken. All the remaing parts to be installed will be picked up at Vertex here in Miami. New expansion tank cap (ending in 04), the hose that had to be cut, coolant (3 gals)< getting stainless steel hose clamps. In the process of getting an Uview Airlift. Does it has to be the fanciest one or just the basic will work?

• Moderators

The Uview "basic" will do OK, but with the top of the line unit being so much better made (all brass instead of molded plastics), coming with adaptors to fit just about anything with a cooling system, and only costing a few more bucks, I'd go for the better unit. We have had a couple of the brass units for years, great product.

If you are just doing the repair outlined in your posts, you don't need to drain all the coolant out. And as a side note it's pretty much impossible to get all 6+ gallons out unless you completely take the whole car apart.

The airlift is only used for filling.

Just drain what is in the block and various hoses and then refill according to the uview directions and you'll be fine.

There are many write ups on how to use the uview here and also on rennlist. Example:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/301-996-complete-coolant-flush-diy/

Edited by logray

• Moderators

Logray is correct, but while you do not need to drain the entire system, if the mix in the car is more than a couple years old, I would dump it all and refresh the system. While called "lifetime" coolant, the OEM coolant (which is very good) does eventually break down and need replacing.

That's why I wanted to replace the coolant. Is at least 5 yrs old :wacko:

Rather have more coolant available that needing to order some at the last moment. Thanks for your responses and the link.

Remember seeing in one of the posts that it was not recommended to flush the coolant with air due to a possible burst of one of the hoses.I do have a wetvac, can a wetvac be used suck out the coolant?

Another question, once the coolant is mixed (50/50 distilled water) what is the shelf life? Does it goes bad or looses its properties? Panning to have the remaining unused coolant stored.

• Moderators

Low air pressure (less than 20 PSIG) would not cause an issue, but when you tell people that, immediately the "If one is good, and two is better; then forty seven has to be just right" principal takes over and the next thing you know someone is cranking up their compressor to put 100 PSIG in the system with disastrous results. These systems where designed to operate at around 18-19 PSIG, no more.

Realistically, you are never going to get more than about 85-90% of the coolant out of the car without taking the entire car apart; some of it just gets hung up in odd places and cannot be pushed or sucked out. So to prevent problems, just let gravity do the job for you; it is about as good as it gets.

Premixed (with distilled water) coolant will live a long time if stored in a closed and clean container. If you think about it, stored on the shelf, it is actually better off than the stuff in your engine (no heat cycles, no metal ions, no contamination, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...