Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Not sure this trouble has been encountered before

Ok, since I have asked several questions in the past I guess it is time to become a contributing member and ask another question. A quick recap of what happened. My wife, my brother and myself were going from Colorado to Wyoming. We stop just over the WY border for a quick rest stop and when I come out I find my wife and brother outside of the car (04 CS) with the doors and hood open (not a good thing to see). I get to the car and am told that while they were sitting they heard a pop and a little bit of smoke came out from under the dash on the passenger side. A quick look around didn't show anything obvious but there is now a very annoying clipping or quick tapping sound coming from the front speakers. Since the car didn't go up in flames we continued on our way. That was a few days ago. Also I found that the passenger front window no longer works. I checked and found a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and the speakers popped a little and the fuse blew right away. So I am guessing there is a short somewhere, but what would cause both of those symptoms at the same time? Is there some kind of module behind the dash or stereo that would be tied together?

Thanks, Jeff

I believe you have some broken wire from car to door. Try to unplug passenger door connector, and then put fuse back. If it will not blow, you have problem in door wiring, or in door control unit (which in on the door also), or maybe with window motor.

I agree with gbratk, being an older Cayenne and you don't mention the miles but the wiring harness on the passenger door may have shorted somewhere. Possibly a factory installation error or just age & over worked wires flexing. First thought at least.

Thanks for the advice on what to start looking for. The door grommets are good and tight. The CS has 90k miles (I have put over 10k miles on in the last 5 months). I pulled the kick panel on the passenger side and do not see the harness from the door. Looks like I will have to start digging deeper or pull the door panel and start there. I will post up what I find or any other questions.

Jeff

If you have Durametric it may lead you to all of the faults known or unknown which may narrow things down some. Open the door all the way if you haven't yet and you will see the rubber boot going to the door. I sent you a PM

Edited by hahnmgh63

Ok, an update to what else I have found. I found the carpet at the bottom by the seat damp (we have had a bit if snow lately) but when I pulled the carpet back I found the floor and padding soaked. I used towels and dried it as much as I could. Squeezing the water out it appeared to have a blue tint, so my question is, does the tube for the rear washer run along that side? I think the water may have worked it's way up the fabric wrapped harness or got into the plastic wire holder on the floor and caused a short. I did a search and found 2 postings about wet carpet and they referred to the AC drain hose (I have not been running the air) or the sunroof drain (possible with the snow melt) but that would not explain the color of the water.