Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSE electrical issue

With help from this forum (thanks Orient Express), I installed the PSE on my 2000 Cab a number of years ago. It was great, worked fine ... but did not last quite the long time I had hoped.

For the past year, it has intermittently not reacted to the Quiet switch. Even though the indicator in the switch would flash as the ignition was turned on, the switch would accomplish nothing. Then, it would began to work again ... maybe for a few weeks ... then back to "no response to the switch. Full time loud. Because I often leave my neighborhood very early, this is not a neighborly situation.

So I pulled the front seat, fuse panel carpet area, back of fuse box and relay carrier and, in effect, rewired the PSE as I checked each connection. Found the ground wire to be suspicious, so thought that might be it ... but couldn't check until I put the seat back as I didn't wish to turn on the airbag warning light.

With all back in place, I turned on the ignition, pressed the switch, and ... voila ... I could hear it operate in the engine compartment, along with seeing the light come on in the switch. Finish buttoning up, start the car, and found I was right back where I started. No response to pressing the switch.

Any ideas? I put a new relay on order with Sunset, but do not hold out much hope since it did operate that one time after my re-wiring.

• 1 month later...

With help from this forum (thanks Orient Express), I installed the PSE on my 2000 Cab a number of years ago. It was great, worked fine ... but did not last quite the long time I had hoped.

For the past year, it has intermittently not reacted to the Quiet switch. Even though the indicator in the switch would flash as the ignition was turned on, the switch would accomplish nothing. Then, it would began to work again ... maybe for a few weeks ... then back to "no response to the switch. Full time loud. Because I often leave my neighborhood very early, this is not a neighborly situation.

So I pulled the front seat, fuse panel carpet area, back of fuse box and relay carrier and, in effect, rewired the PSE as I checked each connection. Found the ground wire to be suspicious, so thought that might be it ... but couldn't check until I put the seat back as I didn't wish to turn on the airbag warning light.

With all back in place, I turned on the ignition, pressed the switch, and ... voila ... I could hear it operate in the engine compartment, along with seeing the light come on in the switch. Finish buttoning up, start the car, and found I was right back where I started. No response to pressing the switch.

Any ideas? I put a new relay on order with Sunset, but do not hold out much hope since it did operate that one time after my re-wiring.

Just in case anyone suffers similar symptoms ... my new relay arrived and immediately fixed the problem. Of course, now I wish I had tried that before I did what amounted to a re-install of the electrical wiring for the PSE

Was the relay behind the fuse box and where was it located, in other words which is the correct relay? Having similar problem with my '04.

How much was the relay? See my post today on this issue.

The relay is on the relay carrier, forward of and above the fuse panel. Its essentially in the physical middle of the carrier IF, you, like me, did the installation according to factory instructions. If your car came with PSE ... or the factory has changed between your model and mine, that might not be much help.

My relay is part # 996.618.980.03. It is one of the 3 tall relays on my carrier, others are basically cubes. Black with white label with words, "Abgasklappen Relais". ("...klappen' certainly sounds like pigin-German for "noise"). Cost from Sunset was $120 plus shipping.