Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Free 996 Service Manuals

Loren and guys, I have several 996 service manuals stored in .pdf format but not sure where to post links or the correct section to include them.

Suggestions or guidance please so as not to violate TOS for forum?

Thank you Loren, dont want to cause any problems. Anyone know if they are in the public domain now because of age? I dont see a copyright warning.

Loren I will be happy to PM you my links and let you approve before I post them.

Edited by krazyk

You are certainly not the first person that has wanted to post these manuals, and some actually have, there are many other threads on renntech similar to the one you started. They are all locked and the offending material is always removed because it violates copyright law.

There is a copyright notice contained in the manual you have.

Secondly, why would a company sell this information and at the same time not copyright it and permit free distribution of it? If it was meant to be free in the first place, wouldn't Porsche just post it on their website for free? They don't by the way, and you have to buy the material here:

https://techinfo2.porsche.com/techinfo/index.jsp

Regarding "public domain"... from works published by a corporation there is no such thing.

At least for US copyright...

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

How long does a copyright last?The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.

Edited by logray

No problem then. If I remember correctly, I think it was the older 996 1999-2001 service manuals and parts manuals that were all over the place. I was finally able to find the newer ones but don't want to cause an issue.