Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Double horn beep when unlocking car

• Moderators

I know this happens when a locking mechanism or sensor goes bad. Both doors and trunks as well as the gas cover all lock fine, but I still sometimes get the double horn beep unlocking the car. Also, the red light on the manual locking switch sometimes stays on.

Durametric shows 2 fault codes on the Alarm system but states "This fault is displayed for informational purposes, it is not an idication of a problem and no repair is needed"

attachment=28096:boxster-AlarmFaultCodes.jpg]

The double beep indicated there really is a problem. Do the faults listed give a clue where the issue is?

TIA,

Graeme

post-299-0-53815300-1365360745_thumb.jpg

My best guess is that one of your door lock mechanisms is failing because the car seems to think one door in locked and the other one isn't. I had a similar problem that I was lucky to figure out. I noticed the red locking light on the dash would come on occassionaly when I pulled up the passenger door handle.

I don't think a Durametric allows you to test each locking system component individually. If that's the case, you might need to use a Porsche System tester to find out which component is the problem.

Good luck

• Admin

What about the glove box and centre box as these too induce a double bleep? H

Not usually - a single beep means at least one alarm zone is open.

Two beeps means there is an alarm module fault.

In either case a PST2 or PIWIS will pinpoint the problem(s).

It is the microswitch in the door lock which senses that the door lock has reached the unlock position which is causing the problem. (Unlock not reached). The door is unlocked, but the system hasn't received the signal - hence the double-beep.

It doesn't say which door, but you might be able to determine which by looking at the input signals. See if you can see the "locked" switch on each door when you lock and unlock them.

• Moderators

It is the microswitch in the door lock which senses that the door lock has reached the unlock position which is causing the problem. (Unlock not reached). The door is unlocked, but the system hasn't received the signal - hence the double-beep.It doesn't say which door, but you might be able to determine which by looking at the input signals. See if you can see the "locked" switch on each door when you lock and unlock them.

Thanks Richard. This one is a bit tricky as it is very intermitent. I have started carrying my Durametric with me in the hope I can "catch it in the act" :)

I had a similar problem last year, only I received the double beep only when locking. It was the microswitch on each of the door locks, or rather the arm that triggers the switch. On each door lock, there is a part inside the locking mechanism that presses the switch when locked. The rubber coating on that part had worn off with use and wasn't always able to press the switch fully, hence the double beep. Like yours, it was intermittent. It was a relatively easy part to swap out (door panel removal is the biggest step). I replaced the locks on both doors since they both were pretty worn out.

Edited by secretagent214

• Moderators

Ah Murphy's law!

Since carrying my durametric, I have yet to get the double horn beep.

Isn't that just typical...

I have to say I'm just a little intimidated by about removing the door panel.

Anyone have a favorite writeup on how to do it without breaking anything?

• Admin

Ah Murphy's law!

Since carrying my durametric, I have yet to get the double horn beep.

Isn't that just typical...

I have to say I'm just a little intimidated by about removing the door panel.

Anyone have a favorite writeup on how to do it without breaking anything?

LOL... I have a PST2, PIWIS and Durametric and have not had a fault code (on my car) in 3 or 4 years. Must be something to it... ;)