Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster S right hand drive leak under driver seat - but no rain!

Hi all,

Had my late 2002 Facelift Boxster for a few months now and it’s garaged and not been out in the rain since I took delivery. But there was water in the cab prior to me taking delivery, however an independent Porsche inspection put this down to drains blocked. All sorted or so I thought but I have still discovered that there is damp enough to moisten a hand towel if I push it down behind the floor at the back of the seat and the vertical carpet. It was all dry, not been out in the rain, no fluid loss from the coolant and yet a feel around comes up with damp despite having dried out some weeks ago. Is there A/C drains in this area, it’s not smelly and no mould. I have only driven it with the roof down and the heater flat out this winter. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for the response. I was grabbing at straws regarding the a/c drain, so that rules that out. Still mystified as my Boxster has not been out in the rain since finding it wet behind the seat some weeks ago. It was all dried out or so I thought but a couple of days ago I just happen to shove my hand down where the floor pan carpet meets the rear bulkhead and it was damp again. It is drying out by wicking into a towel but could this be residual water from the first ingress? My only other thought, is there a floor pan bung in the rear that is letting water pass as the only wet the car has been through was a 20 foot patch of wet on the road about a week ago, not even a puddle!

I'll check the drains (#1 & 2) all the same.

• Moderators

Many thanks for the response. I was grabbing at straws regarding the a/c drain, so that rules that out. Still mystified as my Boxster has not been out in the rain since finding it wet behind the seat some weeks ago. It was all dried out or so I thought but a couple of days ago I just happen to shove my hand down where the floor pan carpet meets the rear bulkhead and it was damp again. It is drying out by wicking into a towel but could this be residual water from the first ingress? My only other thought, is there a floor pan bung in the rear that is letting water pass as the only wet the car has been through was a 20 foot patch of wet on the road about a week ago, not even a puddle!

I'll check the drains (#1 & 2) all the same.

Have you washed the car recently?

Yes, about 3 weeks ago. I'm now more convinced that its the drains still partially blocked. It's not like it is a bow wave, just annoying.

When it stops precipitating I'll get it on the drive and have a good look.

This has been very reassuring.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have sorted this. It dried out quickly when the sun came out in the summer but before this I did find what I can only describe as a very small crack in the right hand driver side rear fabric drain hole area which I gave a liberal coating of silicone sealant to. I'm not sure if this was the real problem or whether it really was just drying out from the previous blocked drain incident. I have washed the Box many times since and have had no water ingress behind the right-hand driver seat although to be honest I have not ventured out in rain, oh no! Very much a fair weather job spending much of its time garaged and polished and only driven out on sunny cold days in the UK.