Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1st Gen CS: Has anyone put in a back up camera?

If you have PCM 2.1 (the DVD-based system) there is an option for coding a backup camera in the PCM settings. On a system without a TV tuner, the camera plugs in to the PCM unit. If it has TV, then it plugs into the TV module. The connector in the PCM is a Fakra connector, so you would need a cable adapter to attach the RCA plug on an aftermarket camera.

I've never done this, but I can't see why it can't be done. It is a popular retrofit on Mercedes which use a very similar system. If you look on eBay, you will find adapter leads for this. (Search Worldwide for fakra rca mercedes). I can't get your link to work, but maybe consider a wireless camera to make the install easier.

Anyone know how to set the PCM for a backup camera?

In a Cayenne PCM telephone Manual, there is a small section regarding the retractable backup camera. Controlling it is via the "AV" button on the PCM. Currently when I push my AV button, the screen shows "AV not available".

Also I have a pdf that shows PIN out for a PCM (sorry, at this point I forgot where I downloaded from). I dont see an exclusive connector video in.

$%28KGrHqN,%21pEE63YiBhLuBO1RF%29mKIQ~~60_12.JPG

USD$18.60 on ebay.

sku_184946_1.jpg

http://dx.com/p/waterproof-ccd-car-rearview-camera-for-volkswagen-touareg-passat-b5-black-dc-12v-961184946

USD$18.76

sku_116308_1.jpg

http://dx.com/p/universal-2-4g-wireless-transmitter-receiver-for-car-rearview-camera-av-in-116308

USD$18.30

ps. No, I am not promoting DX.com and have absolutely no benefits from metioning them.

Anyways, back to: "Anyone know how to set the PCM for a backup camera?"

Thanks.

In PCM2.1 there is a coding option for "with Reversing Camera" which can be set by using a PIWIS tester. On the back of the PCM unit there is a Fakra connector for the camera input. IIRC it is at the top right hand side as you look at the back of the unit. I have a photo somewhere, and will post it later when I get to my PC.

I installed a wireless camera with bluetooth mirror for my mobile. The camera images is displayed in the left part of the mirror. It works well and has excellent night vision. Unit was made by Yada.

Hey you guys are awsome and its what makes this Forum so good!

Not having Durametric... yet, is the image below from Durametric? Please enlighten me as to which manual you are referring to, thanks.

Cayenne Reversing Camera Coding.jpg

I will check out the Yada web site, thanks.

Durametric cannot be used for adding or coding additional features. This includes things like backup camera, tow package, compass, and TPS....

Believe me i want it to, when i have done added features, i have to go to a local shop for them to program the features in. And atleast where i live, i have to physically do it for them because the local techs have no clue on how to use the PIWIS

• 2 years later...

I was able to install a wireless camera on my 2006 Cayenne fairly, and get the video right on the PCM screen, with the help of this blog. 

The wireless camera I used was purchased online. These cameras come with two units: transmitter and receiver.  The transmitter fits in instead of one of the rear license plate lights,. The receiver gets connected to the PCM (2.1) via a FAKRA cable connector. I took power from right under the panel in-front of the passenger side. 

Lastly, I went to an independent Porsche mechanic (not even the dealer) and asked them to enable the reverse camera. As a heads up, I had to unplug my bluetooth unit (Mobridge) just for the setup, because it causes interference. After enabling the camera, I reconnected the Mobridge system, and everything worked fine. 

The nice thing is that the camera works right away as you switch into Reverse. Since the power of my transmitter comes from the rear license plate lights,  please note that your lights switch has to be on. You can get around it if you run a wire to the reverse light.

Cost: 

Wireless Camera: $30

Enabling the PCM: $70

Total: $100 USD

FYI - When I contacted the dealer, they had no idea how to enable the camera. I guess they should be reading these blogs!

Thanks to all who contributed, much appreciated!

• 11 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, Lior Gigi said:

I was able to install a wireless camera on my 2006 Cayenne fairly, and get the video right on the PCM screen, with the help of this blog. 

The wireless camera I used was purchased online. These cameras come with two units: transmitter and receiver.  The transmitter fits in instead of one of the rear license plate lights,. The receiver gets connected to the PCM (2.1) via a FAKRA cable connector. I took power from right under the panel in-front of the passenger side. 

Lastly, I went to an independent Porsche mechanic (not even the dealer) and asked them to enable the reverse camera. As a heads up, I had to unplug my bluetooth unit (Mobridge) just for the setup, because it causes interference. After enabling the camera, I reconnected the Mobridge system, and everything worked fine. 

The nice thing is that the camera works right away as you switch into Reverse. Since the power of my transmitter comes from the rear license plate lights,  please note that your lights switch has to be on. You can get around it if you run a wire to the reverse light.

Cost: 

Wireless Camera: $30

Enabling the PCM: $70

Total: $100 USD

FYI - When I contacted the dealer, they had no idea how to enable the camera. I guess they should be reading these blogs!

Thanks to all who contributed, much appreciated!

Sweet !

Did you had a chance to see what's the name of their scanner they used to setup the rear camera codes?

I'm looking for a shop or at least a dealership known to be able to do this in Houston area.

cheers

• 1 year later...

Guys... I have search everywhere and couldn't seem to find anyone that has done this cleanly.

But this month I was successful in adding a backup camera to my 2007 997 C2 Cab using this following parts!

My goal was to maintain my current PCM 2.1b system, just add reverse camera. (I don't want to add a 3rd party NAV/Audio system. I quite like my BOSE)

TVandNav2Go . (This system can push video signal to my factory PCM 2.1b screen when reverse is selected)
http://tvandnav2go.com/porsche/43-po...interface.html

Camera (Fits cleanly in the reverse light receptacle.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...001132931.html

Many thanks,

RP

IMG_4759 (1).jpg

IMG_4763 (1).jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

a9c42f8914b0bd1e2eaf09b632b7d5b9538fa677.jpg

3fac451b091aec9439219af34494000d8a972dce.jpg

77a9fe1ae38d592b8d3ee92d7264ccc318c11ed6.jpg

bd37e6d24415c7ff3972d3e649e7a74f3c1ac93f.jpg

e6158c0f1385c360e37b0b0b3e4328e878b4d01a.jpg