Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Leaking around the thermostat gasket

For the last couple years, I have had a very slow leak between the thermostat housing and the block. I figured this year I would just replace the whole housing and gasket, as well as refill with new coolant.

Everything went fine today, and I got all of the bolts on the thermostat housing tightened. I filled up with coolant, and before I even started the car or bled the system, I noticed that the new thermostat gasket was leaking as well. So, I drained the new coolant.

What now? Is it a matter of getting some sealant and using that instead of the gasket? I'm sure the block is somewhat warped - should I try instead to get that smooth? Anyone run into this before?

Any ideas are much appreciated - the car is in the garage on stands until I figure something out.

If it is truly warped, then I would clean surfaces using acetone/etc. then use some RTV very sparingly, then reinstall and let it cure overnight before refilling.

If there is a slight burr/casting artifact you could very very very lightly sand the surfaces using a sanding block and very light grit sandpaper.

And you are certain you are using the correct torque values?

The new gaskets and mating surfaces must be totally clean.

• Moderators

We like to buff the surfaces of both mating areas with a Scotch Brite pad to make sure they are both clean and without any burrs. You may want to also check each mating surface with a good straight edge while they are apart. To date, with proper cleaning, buffing and a new metal gasket, and properly torqued, we have not had to use any sealant on these surfaces, which is as it should be

• 2 weeks later...