Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

newbie questions

I just purchased a 2000 boxster with 38900 miles on saturday(3-5-05) drove it home now(3-8-05) it has over 40300 noticed leaking coming from a drain tube near passenger rear wheel told it was probably from ac drain but the liquid stays dark on garage floor or driveway when parked for a period of time and liquid also is slick feeling not just wet moisture. I also accessed the engine compartment and looked for about 15 min for the top retaining velcro strap think mine is missing any pics out there besides the ones in the manual I could use would help. I plan on a oil change in next week or two with mobil one 10-40 or 15-40 I live in southern us where car will be drove mostly in spring and summer any suggestions on any of these would help me out. :) thanx

• Moderators

First, was the a/c on when your noticed the leak. Second, the a/c drain tube is in the front of the car.

There are drain tubes in the area you describes for water from the top and coolant overflow. Check your coolant level. Check to see if the carpet in the trunk is damp. If the coolant tank is low then fill it to the max level with water. If it is coolant dumping out then check your blue cap. If the part number ends in 00 then there is a cap that seals better with the part number ending in 01.

First, was the a/c on when your noticed the leak.  Second, the a/c drain tube is in the front of the car.

There are drain tubes in the area you describes for water from the top and coolant overflow.  Check your coolant level.  Check to see if the carpet in the trunk is damp.  If the coolant tank is low then fill it to the max level with water.  If it is coolant dumping out then check your blue cap.  If the part number ends in 00 then there is a cap that seals better with the part number ending in 01.

Just checked coolant level on cold engine and it is right above the minimum level mark. My cap does end in 00 would the coolant somehow come up from around the cap and down through the drain under car? The carpet in trunk is fine. I noticed the liquid in driveway when we just got back from buying the car and was looking obviously like a/c drainage because it was running for 10-11 hours with a/c on for about 4-5 hours and was a lot of liquid drainage not just a small puddle. But I put it in the garage and the next day is when I noticed the small amount of liquid on the floor next to the passenger rear tire. thanx for the reply!

• Moderators

If the cap does not hold pressure then coolant can get on the ground near the passenger side tire since that is where the overflow tube is. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1838

If you do not know what the liquid on the ground is then none of us who cannot see your car is in a superior position to guess. Could be power steering fluid. Could be....

The cap is a known problem so that is what I threw out. That is why the design of the cap has changed and the part number now ends in 01. The cap does not cost much. Replace the cap and fill the tank to the max level. If it happens again then let us know, because you have ruled out the cap.

If the cap does not hold pressure then coolant can get on the ground near the passenger side tire since that is where the overflow tube is.  http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1838

If you do not know what the liquid on the ground is then none of us who cannot see your car is in a superior position to guess.  Could be power steering fluid.  Could be....

The cap is a known problem so that is what I threw out.  That is why the design of the cap has changed and the part number now ends in 01.  The cap does not cost much.  Replace the cap and fill the tank to the max level.  If it happens again then let us know, because you have ruled out the cap.

Where is the best place to get a new cap a dealer? Do I have to us Porsche coolant or is there another compatible brand out there?

thanx for the help toolpants!

• Moderators

Search under coolant as this has been covered a few times. Try water and see if pressure holds and if that is your issue. Min to Max is just a few cups of a liquid.

Full list price on the cap is $17. It is a VW cap.

No clue if that is your issue, but you might as well try the new style cap first since it is not money lost if it is something else.

No need to use such heavy oil you mentioned; use recommended weights (look in owners manual).  Your engine is still young.

how about 0w-40 or 5w-30? what do you recommend? a porsche service dept. told me they used 10w-30. any comments could help. also how possible is it my top's retaining strap is missing but I can't find any tears where it should be?

• Moderators

A 30 weight oil was approved but no longer.

My 1997 has had 15W-50 since its first oil change. 15w-50 was an approved oil but no longer. But I continue to use it.

Most people use 0W-40 these days. It is what my dealer now uses, but they use to use 15W-50.