Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Suspension "Thump" on '03 C2 Coupe

I need some helpful advice. I have tried searching for information on this topic on this forum and others, but have not found anything that directly relates to my problem.

I am experiencing a very annoying sharp "thumping" or "clunking" sound from the rear suspension of my 6-speed 2003 C2. It is present only while the car is in motion and is most noticeable at slow speeds while going over slight undulations on the road surface. I believe it is also there at higher speeds, but there are enough other sounds that it is not so annoying. The sound is not ground speed or engine speed dependent. I cannot tell if it comes from just one side or the other.

I believe I have eliminated any problems with the exhaust system, body fixtures, wiring, tubing, or worn or loose joints, shocks, springs, or bushings. I cannot reproduce this noise just by grabbing onto suspension parts and shaking things while the car is on a lift or on the ground. I have narrowed this down to what I believe the culprits are: the rear sway bar links (part number 996-333-069-04). These links seem rather flimsy and are probably wear items. My car has ca. 54K miles on it.

Can these links go bad and cause noise? Before I go tearing things apart, has anyone had a similar experience or have specific thoughts on this problem?

TIA

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the Moog replacement for these sway bar end links? Moog k750184

• Problem Solver® powdered metal gusher bearing design enables grease to flow through the bearing to the stud for reduced friction and enhanced strength and stability.
  • Full ball metal stud provides 360 degrees of smooth, consistent, rotational movement.
  • Durable, all metal construction for longer life.
  • A thick bar is used for added strength and durability.
  • Wrench flats at the base of the stud allow for a positive hold and the use of sockets for quick and easy installation and removal.
  • Greaseable socket design allows new lubricant to flush contaminants from the assembly, reducing corrosion and wear

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally managed to buy the OEM TRW end links, replaced both front and rear.

A lot less klunky now. Overall quieter on the road.

But there's still noises on both ends. At very low speeds (10 mph) over crappy road

surfaces. More of a thump / thud in the rear than a klunk.

Swaybar mounts are also new-ish.

I've also noticed the rubber overload "spring" (not sure what it's actually called)

on the right front is decomposing. The rubber is getting crumbly.

Car (2002 C2) only has 40,000 miles on it.

Bill