Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

IMS Lawsuit is in motion..

• Moderators

I asked this on another IMS lawsuit thread, but got no responses. If we bought a 996 that had $5-6k in IMS-related repairs done by the previous owner, are we (current owner) entitled to anything? Or is this only if you spent the money and still own the car?

This is a question best asked of the lawyers handling the case; but my read of the casework would be that the money would go to the owner that incurred the loss, not the later owner(s).

I asked this on another IMS lawsuit thread, but got no responses. If we bought a 996 that had $5-6k in IMS-related repairs done by the previous owner, are we (current owner) entitled to anything? Or is this only if you spent the money and still own the car?

This is a question best asked of the lawyers handling the case; but my read of the casework would be that the money would go to the owner that incurred the loss, not the later owner(s).

Thank you. I emailed the previous owner who spent the money with a link to the IMS lawsuit threads. But he said he couldn't be bothered, so I was wondering if I could get some $$. haha.

• 3 months later...

Help needed with the Eisen IMS Settlement!

In July 2008, my 2002 Boxster (~35k miles at the time) suffered catastrophic IMS failure. I took it to the dealer, who recommended and performed engine replacement. Now, I have elected to participate in the Eisen v. Porsche lawsuit. However, the firm who is handling the claim says that my documentation is insufficient. In particular, the firm is asking me to submit a statement, a note, or whatever from the dealer, indicating explicitly that the IMS had failed and engine replacement was in order.

I contacted the dealer, who declined to provide anything but a copy of the bill, which describes the items/operations I paid for.

I had already submitted this document with my claim, in addition to pictures of the damaged engine, which were taken at the time by the dealer. The pictures clearly show that the end of the shaft had sheared off, leaving a gaping hole that let the entire oil drain on the street. At the time, the service technician told me explicitly that failure of the seal had caused the shaft to shear right off. Unfortunately, at the time it did not occur to me to ask him to put it in writing. He only gave me pictures of the old and new engine.

I am wondering if anybody else has experienced the same. If anybody had pictures AND a document by their delear/garage, which clearly said that this type of damage was due to IMS failure, then I could probably make a case and overcome the un-cooperative dealer.

Thank you in advance!

Loretta