Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Detailing and maintenance.

I was wondering what do you do to maintain your car inside and out,

Inside:

I remove the front and rear floor mats and beat some dirt out before vacuum them. I put them back in when I’m done with the car.

I vacuum the inside of the car, under seats and the seats also. Most of the times I use the plastic wand to keep from scratching the leather and plastic.

I like to wipe down the whole inside of the car with a damp microfiber cloth, I like to use a little soap to wash the cloth once in a while to remove the dirt it pick up. No sense washing the car with a dirty rag.

I use Meguiar’s leather cleaner and conditioner. I use a clean microfiber cloth to spread it out, I also don’t like to spray to much it gets on everything.

I use Armor All on the plastic. Most of the time I use a small rag and spray the rag.

On my 996 I use the vacuum and the plastic wand to vacuum out the leaves that get sucked on the front radiator vents. New is a new one for me.

I open the hood (front) and user Armor All on all the plastic covers.

Outside

I first spray the tires with engine degreaser (Purple Power) and scrub them with a stiff brush then rinse them off before I start on the car. I do need to find brush or something to clean out the wheel studs holes. what a pain.

I like to wet the whole car down to cool it off before I start to wash it, and I don’t like to wash it during the hot time of day. I live in south Florida so most of the times I’m washing the car at 8PM.

I wet my washing mit and put soap on it and use that to wash the car. I don’t like to use the soap in the pail, I don’t like the idea of washing the car with dirty water.

When I’m done washing the outside of the car I open the doors and wash the edge, and wipe down all the rubbers seals to remove dirt.

I use Back to Black on all the black plastic parts I use a small rag, a old sock works really good.

I use Purple Power to clean the engine and engine bay. And using another rag I also wash some of the engine parts.

I wipe down the Windshield wipers with soap and water again to remove the dirt.

I like to use a Meguiar’s paste wax once a year and a Meguiar’s spray on wax a few times a year.

I wash all the glass with Windex and wipe it down with news paper. I was reading that you can use 0000 steel wool pad and Vinegar. I have not tried this yet but they say it works very well.

What do you do that works really well? I’m wondering if there is something to use on the rubber gaskets to keep them soft also what can be sprayed on the engine to make it look shiny but not something that will eat away at the rubber.

Thanks

I highly recommend you check out Drive Clean on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96D52AF54166C886

If you have specific detailing questions, the guy tends to be helpful.

Or, if you'd rather be distracted/entertained than educated, blonddrive.tv:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXkL-8RvdBA

;)

But seriously, listen to Drive Clean.

Edited by JasonStern
  • Upvote 1

I like to use a leaf blower or compressed air to get the water out of the cracks and to dry the wheels and tires. A top installer also taught me that compressed air is also good to help clean the top (don't use a lot of psi) just to gently remove dust and dirt on the convertible top.

I highly recommend you check out Drive Clean on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96D52AF54166C886

If you have specific detailing questions, the guy tends to be helpful.

Or, if you'd rather be distracted/entertained than educated, blonddrive.tv:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXkL-8RvdBA

;)

But seriously, listen to Drive Clean.

OMG I'm not sure what I was asking about now. I have this crazy thing for blonds. WOW! :thankyou:

I like to use a leaf blower or compressed air to get the water out of the cracks and to dry the wheels and tires. A top installer also taught me that compressed air is also good to help clean the top (don't use a lot of psi) just to gently remove dust and dirt on the convertible top.

That's a good idea I have a leaf blower.

• 3 months later...

I occasionally vacuum my convertible top which seems to work well. I have not seen this mentioned by anyone and wonder if using the vacuum on the top could be causing some kind of damage. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Any input on vacuuming the cabrio top?

I do this without issue. I also use raggtopp once a year to wash and then seal. Of course I also keep my car covered IN the garage...LOL

As far as products (after trying many of the top ones) I use Aero 303 for plastic/synthetics and leather exposed to sunlight, exterior products are Zaino! Poorboys tire protectant.

Edited by wross996TT

Usually the cleaner will last several treatments. You can also buy a kit that comes with a soft brush for cleaning.

null_zps74f7749a.jpg

Using short circular strokes to clean the cabriolet well. Then rinse it well.

null_zpsc2953654.jpg

I let it dry thoroughly in the sun, then mask it off and use a whole can of the protectant.

null_zpsb8e94a77.jpg

null_zps14d0a00a.jpg

During a recent rain (hard to believe I know , rain in Seattle!) The protectant works great!

null_zps1258b024.jpg

null_zps99bfccaf.jpg

Edited by kbrandsma

Thank you for your input wross. I too use Raggtop cleaner and sealer.

Any input on vacuuming the cabrio top?

I do this without issue. I also use raggtopp once a year to wash and then seal. Of course I also keep my car covered IN the garage...LOL

As far as products (after trying many of the top ones) I use Aero 303 for plastic/synthetics and leather exposed to sunlight, exterior products are Zaino! Poorboys tire protectant.