Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant leak Challenge?!?!

I was able to flush my coolant system and it is sitting steady Not sure what caused the rough idle but I did Chang the plugs and double checked connections and the rough idle went away. Luckily I didn't have to remove the upper.

• Moderators

I was able to flush my coolant system and it is sitting steady Not sure what caused the rough idle but I did Chang the plugs and double checked connections and the rough idle went away. Luckily I didn't have to remove the upper.

If you have access to the Durametric software, collect some actual values so we can see if anything jumps out.

• Moderators

I do have the durametric software. Are there any particular of the metrics I should specifically pull?

First thing is any pending codes, that will give a better indication if this is some kind of misfire. I would also look at the fuel trims on both banks, as that would show strange A/F due to possible vacuum leaks.

Before the plug change I looked at the idle roughness for all cylinders and the values were all over the place. After plug change durametric values were near 0. I didn't look at the misfires before the change, but afterwards there were no indications of misfires. Values showed 0. Ill recheck though and take a look at the A/F valuEs too

• Moderators

Are you absolutely sure you put everything back as it should be? You'd be surprised at how many times we resolve a rough running car that just had plugs put in it by pushing the coil pack connectors back on all the way..............

• 5 weeks later...

In the picture in the first post of this thread, at the bottom of the red arrow, is a rectanglar

cover plate attached by two screws.

I've got something oozing from that. Coolant or water of some sort.

I've attached two pictures of my leak.

What is that cover for and what's inside?

Any idea on gasket/seal part number?

Thanks, Bill

post-7493-0-43826300-1378670698_thumb.jp

post-7493-0-07764800-1378670715_thumb.jp

• Moderators

In the picture in the first post of this thread, at the bottom of the red arrow, is a rectanglar

cover plate attached by two screws.

I've got something oozing from that. Coolant or water of some sort.

I've attached two pictures of my leak.

What is that cover for and what's inside?

Any idea on gasket/seal part number?

Thanks, Bill

Let's start with the basics: Model year and car model, engine type, and general location of the photos.................

2002 996 C2 6-speed (normal non-GT3, non-Turbo)

As I mentioned in my post, see the picture in the first post of this thread,

at the bottom of the red arrow, is a rectangular cover plate attached by two screws.

That's a cover for a coolant passage. I had the same leak before. It's just a metal plate with a built-in rubber gasket on it. I replaced the whole plate and that fixed the leak. About 2gal of coolant will drain when you remove that plate. Similar to opening the coolant drain bolt.

That's a cover for a coolant passage. I had the same leak before. It's just a metal plate with a built-in rubber gasket on it. I replaced the whole plate and that fixed the leak. About 2gal of coolant will drain when you remove that plate. Similar to opening the coolant drain bolt.

Do you happen to still have the part number?

Seems like a pretty large area to just have a screw in two corners. Of course the leak is at an unsecured corner.

I think I found the part nr.

996.101.016.00 Cover

996.101.336.50 Gasket

The cover is correct and you don't need the gasket (metal). I made that mistake and ordered the gasket before I take thing apart, only to find out the cover itself already has a built-in rubber gasket. My car does not use that metal gasket. Not sure why it's there in the part diagram. Maybe it's applicable for other models. Mine is a '03 C2 coupe manual transmission.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2003 996 cab. Last night the low coolant light flashed. I found the coolant level to be low so I topped it I went for a short drive this morning. After parking the car I found a silver dollar sized fluid mark on my driveway. It is located at roughly the rear of the rear driver's side tire, about 12 inches toward the passenger side. Any ideas on the source of this leak would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance..  

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for some help with regards to a coolant leak. I got a red blinking temperature gauge warning and it all the way up pass 180 deg F. The 911 overheated. I can't find the leak somehow, went to Auto zone and get some coolant, and found out the full coolant requires 17 qrt of coolant, Im thinking radiator is empty? 

Has anyone experienced this same leak or is familiar with what would cause this leak? 

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Leo

9 hours ago, Tides115 said:

I am looking for some help with regards to a coolant leak. I got a red blinking temperature gauge warning and it all the way up pass 180 deg F. The 911 overheated. I can't find the leak somehow, went to Auto zone and get some coolant, and found out the full coolant requires 17 qrt of coolant, Im thinking radiator is empty? 

Has anyone experienced this same leak or is familiar with what would cause this leak? 

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Leo

What's the coolant level and are the radiator fans working?

Please try to check this thread and decode the reason behind the blinking warning light.

If the reservoir is full, the radiators should be full too, unless you got air trapped in the system. Any recent work on the engine?

Edited by Ahsai

I have read that after flushing coolant system or losing and replacing all the coolant the 996 engine can develop air pockets which result in overheating in those areas of the engine. The 3.6 apparently doesn't likke being run hot.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk