Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Silverstar High Beam

• Moderators

'04 C2 w/Litronic lights, can I just swap the high beam bulb with an appropriate Silverstar halogen bulb to obtain

better lighting in dark forest atmosphere I live in? Thx for replies.

Yes, but be cautious about which bulbs you use, a lot of the aftermarket "brighter bulbs" are higher wattage and can discolor or even melt headlight components.

I was under the impression that the Litronic lights were were xenon lights with a high voltage ballast and could only be replaced with other xenon bulbs. I may be confused about this as I don't own them myself. I have standard halogen lights on my 996 and the lights were very dim when I got the car. One of the lights was also discolored from a previous owner running too hot of a bulb. I have since put in the top end Sylvannia Silverstars (whatever they are called gold or platinum I think). The lighting is much better and there has been no additional discoloring running the new bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...

'04 C2 w/Litronic lights, can I just swap the high beam bulb with an appropriate Silverstar halogen bulb to obtain

better lighting in dark forest atmosphere I live in? Thx for replies.

Yes, this is a very easy 5-10 min DIY. I did similar research a few years ago and then installed Sylvannia Silverstar Ultra as high beams; a big improvement in nighttime illumination and as yet no burn-in. Size is H7 for high beam. Great idea - go for it.

Manual dictates a H11 for the high beams w/the Litronic option ( I know the high beam is halogen) H7 would seem to be a lower bulb light??

Sorry, you are correct, for your car MY04 high beam is H11. I have MY99 with first generation litronics and the high beam for those is indeed an H7.