Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Confirmation on seatbelt routing

Every time I get into my car, I end up with a twist on the seatbelt. Could someone confirm that the correct way that the seatbelt should be routed is as pictured below (with a continuous flow from the trim to the bottom and the buckle pointing towards the seat, not the trim). If that is the case, then I will need to undo the bottom bolt, twist it around, re tighten. If I need to do this, any special precaution (battery disconnect?) that I need to take into account?

Thanks for your replies!

post-10928-0-91754900-1377119039_thumb.g

• Admin

Yes! Disconnect the battery as the MY2002 and newer cars use pyrotechnic ball belt tensioners.

During a rear collision only the belt tensioner is triggered.The balls are driven through a pyrotechnic propellant charge. This kinetic energy is carried over to the belt reel via a pinion. Belt slack is taken up by winding in belt.
So you don't want this to go off when handling. And if one does fire, then you need to buy a new one as they will not work again.

Glad I asked first :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, can I get confirmation on the proper "routing" of the belts? I'm assuming it is exactly as pictured above, correct? Buckle end points to the seat in its "rest" position and no twists in the belt at all. Correcct?

• 1 month later...

Anyone has instructions on how to remove all the trim around the B pillar? I had a nasty scare yesterday and immediately thought about how my seatbelts are improperly installed due to the twist on them. That said, the twist cannot be resolved by undoing the bottom bolt, so I have to remove the entire B pillar trim to flip around the mechanism so the belts will work properly with no twists. Dealer confirmed that no work has been done on my car regarding belts, and they also confirmed that they want nearly $500 to place them properly. The same situation (flipped around) applies for both front belts. Cheap as far as "life insurance" goes, but seriously?

Edited by GOB

• Admin

Anyone has instructions on how to remove all the trim around the B pillar? I had a nasty scare yesterday and immediately thought about how my seatbelts are improperly installed due to the twist on them. That said, the twist cannot be resolved by undoing the bottom bolt, so I have to remove the entire B pillar trim to flip around the mechanism so the belts will work properly with no twists. Dealer confirmed that no work has been done on my car regarding belts, and they also confirmed that they want nearly $500 to place them properly. The same situation (flipped around) applies for both front belts. Cheap as far as "life insurance" goes, but seriously?

(click to enlarge)

post-1-0-10061700-1380769636_thumb.jpg