Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Glass window top replacement

Distributor in Switzerland for the GAHH Boxster Top & Glass Window:

Crest Motors GMBH

Fetzislohstr. 11

CH-9320 Frasnacht

Switzerland

Rudi Fitzi

Telephone: 41-714467686

Hi Guys

Are there new experiences according the quality of the GAHH top? Do they have a distributor in Europe?

Greetings from Switzerland

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been looking at this thread for sometime but did not get involved....

Now i am getting more interested as i have a soft window and i bet it will not be eternal...

Anyone has more to say about the GAHH roof and the reliability issues??

Have they been fixed?

Are they still craking above the window?

• 3 weeks later...
been looking at this thread for sometime but did not get involved....

Now i am getting more interested as i have a soft window and i bet it will not be eternal...

Anyone has more to say about the GAHH roof and the reliability issues??

Have they been fixed?

Are they still craking above the window?

I was one of the first few to order one, and as previously mentioned had it seperate. Since then it has been fine with normal use, although it has not seen the road much the past couple of months due to the nasty weather. It has been about 7-8 months since I replaced it.

txs Porscheguy, much appreciated... i' d still be interested to hear about people who had the chance to up-down the roof quiet a lot, drove the car fast with it, went in warm / cold weather etc....

I am interested also. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any updates on the GAHH tops w/ glass window as far as durability?

They have a banner ad that says "now with a new reinforced window pocket". Does anyone have information as to what this is?

Anyone have any updates on the GAHH tops w/ glass window as far as durability?

They have a banner ad that says "now with a new reinforced window pocket". Does anyone have information as to what this is?

that sounds promising, with luck that means they fixed the window seperation problem

• 2 months later...

I had been following this thread because my rear window was cracked for a while. Unsure about the GAHH, I opted to have just the plastic replaced and wait for the GAHH nextgen since the cloth part was still in great condition.

I dropped the car off in the morning to have the soft top removed. Returned before close of business to pick up the car and drove home. Dropped it off the following morning for installation. Returned before COB to pick up.

Work was done this time last year. I figured, with the hot weather, it would be a good time to install as the material is expanded and more pliable.

No regrets. For under US$500, I have a few more years. Uphaulstery place is in Concord, California. Email me if you need contact information.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

First time I saw the Robbins top was on ebay a few weeks ago. Here is a current listing. Must be something new for this company. Thought at first they were reselling GAHH or BAS tops.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...s_promot_widget

$625, and Porsche wants over $2,000 for a plastic window top.

3 companies making a glass window top. Never thought I would see the day. Never seen the Robbins flavor, but have see several local GAHH tops.

I got my glass top from Cabrio World, who buys them from Robbins Top. Quality is great, but the tension cables seem too short. It has been over a month and the top will still not close smoothly. Still has a 1 1/2 inch gap between the windshield frame and the top. I have to manually nudge the hook into the windshield header. :drive:

I got my glass top from Cabrio World, who buys them from Robbins Top. Quality

Cabrio World used to get there glass window tops from GAHH but perhaps they have switched suppliers.

Another interesting item on ebay is that there is a defroster harness from sales4pnparts (Harvey, the same guy who sells inexpensive but nice doors sills):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOX...sspagenameZWDVW

I believe the OEM version is $150.00

Can someone summarize what is the best solution for convertible top replacement with glass window?

Question 1, any suggestions out of the following manufacturers:

1. GAHH

2. Cabrioworld

3. BAS

4. Robbins Auto

Question 2 is what material is best:

1. Haartz Sonnendeck

2. German canvas (if that is different)

Question 3

I own a Blue Boxster S with natural leather brown and indigo blue top. I was wondering hwether it would look good when changing the top to buy a dark tan one instead of the blue. Has anyone seen one around ?Doe sit look good? or will I be making the car look totally non-OEM?

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the value in replacing the plastic window with glass. But I question how much long term benifit there is. I've been looking at my top more closely - while sitting in the seat with the top up- I've noticed some serious wear of the inside of the top near where the mechanisms must rub. So - what is the point of making the rear window last forever if the cloth doesn't and pretty much blows out about the same time?

Do you guys know the wear I'm talking about? Need pics?

Also once you develop a couple of small 1/4" cracks in the rear window radiating from the stitches, how long till the whole thing goes?

Thanks!

The original top on my 02 was in near perfect condition. Mine has a headliner inside so I notice no wear from the inside, but the outside was great. Plastic window was still clear. I think the smaller glass window improves the appearence of the car and just looks cleaner. I no longer have to watch the top as it folds to make sure it's not creasing. :cheers:

I understand the value in replacing the plastic window with glass. But I question how much long term benifit there is. I've been looking at my top more closely - while sitting in the seat with the top up- I've noticed some serious wear of the inside of the top near where the mechanisms must rub. So - what is the point of making the rear window last forever if the cloth doesn't and pretty much blows out about the same time?

Do you guys know the wear I'm talking about? Need pics?

Also once you develop a couple of small 1/4" cracks in the rear window radiating from the stitches, how long till the whole thing goes?

Thanks!

I have noticed some wear on the outside near one of the creases. I think it is also from some abrasion as the top goes up and down. The top is more than five years old and is otherwise fine. And the wear is not significant - can hardly see it until standing right on top of it. I don't have any cracks, so can't address that - though I would like to know the answer, too.

As far as why to go glass:

With glass there is no need to consider the temp when putting the top up or down.

I can leave the valley floor in the morning, top down, at 70 degrees. I will be at 8,000 feet in a couple hours where there might be rain, snow, or very cold temps with cloud cover.

When I get the glass window top, I can drive as far up the hill as I want before putting the top up; I won't have to plan ahead, guess, and be dissapointed later that the top is up, that I put it up thinking it might rain, but it is sunny and not too cool to enjoy driving with the top down or that, not planning ahead, I didn't put it up and I now want it up and the weather is too cool to raise it.

I think glass will just provide a lot more freedom without worrying about the temp and/or the need to "chop".

I have gotten home from a drive with the top down, left it down only to find that in the morning I want it up and it is too cold to raise it. I end up with my S.O.'s hair dryer, heating the plastic after the top is half-way up. It's doable, but why bother if there is an alternative that is both elegant and functional?

I bought the Cab to drive it as a Cab. Practically, though, I also drive it when the weather doesn't favor the Cab. I want the ability to put it up and down easily, and often if necessary, for weather, when pulling into a parking lot to eat or shop, or just because my S.O. insists. Sometimes she's funny that way - and she has earned the right to have it her way, too.

If you're driving habits aren't impaired with the plastic, then keep the plastic. Isn't it nice to have choices? :jump:

I got my glass top from Cabrio World, who buys them from Robbins Top. Quality is great, but the tension cables seem too short. It has been over a month and the top will still not close smoothly. Still has a 1 1/2 inch gap between the windshield frame and the top. I have to manually nudge the hook into the windshield header. :drive:

The same happens to me after changing the top for a GAHH one. I will try to loosen the cables myself as the opening hour of the installer for the tops are very inconvenient (only week days during business hours) and it seems not too difficult. Also since the guy had the car for several days and managed to give it back to me with a top that did not close correctly (needed to turn over some springs see TSB 6128) and was too tense, I have lost confidence in him.

If you have found another solution to your problem I would appreciate if you could tell me what you did

Benoit

• 4 weeks later...

For those who wonder about the quality of the Robbin and GAHH top, I'd like to contribute my .02.

Just got off the phone with the rep from Cabrio World, they do carry both Robbins and GAHH tops. By default they are now using Robbin top but one can specify GAHH top during order and they will charge the same ($775 + shipping as of Dec 2, 2006).

As a comparision, Robbin top has rear window seal directly where GAHH top mold the rear window to the top instead. The earlier shipments of GAHH top could have the problem of glass window falling apart but the issue is addressed by now. One additional feature that Robbin tops has is the additional mechanism to prevent cable from ripping, which is why Cabrio World prefers Robbin these days.

By the way, I strongly suggest ordering from Cabrio World, their reps are friendly and knowledgable; their price are more competitive than you order from manufacturer directly.

Hope that help!

p.s. No I don't get discount or commission from Cabrio World for saying that...

• 9 months later...

How about some updates here? It's been 9 months since any new information has been posted.

1. GAHH OK now (on the window sealing issue)? Have any more come loose?

2. All still good with Robbins - no issues?

3. Is seam wear occuring? On what brand(s)?

4. Any cable or adjustment problems?

5. Recommendations?

6. Does anyone know a good installer in N.W. Ohio with Porsche experience?

Thanks in advance for any input..........

• 1 month later...
These are before and after pictures from Steve Evans.

glass_before.sized.jpg

glass_after.sized.jpg

Justin on the UK Boxster board had the glass top put on yesterday. Here are his pictures. He has a 2000 2.7.

glass_justin1.sized.jpg

glass_justin2.sized.jpg

That glass window top is great, but the original vinyl window top look pretty **** good too...... What happened to it and is it really as good as it looks. Mine's the same color (2001) so I can't help but be interested in it.

Bob

• 9 months later...

Update wanted on BAS, GAHH and Robbins glass window tops.

Since the glass window tops have been out for a couple of years I would

like to hear about any problems or praises since I want desperately to get

mine done this winter (even though my OEM top and window are perfect).

I have found an approved installer nearby and I think I like the look of the

BAS version the best.......but would consider the GAHH or Robbins as well.

I just want to buy one that doesn't have any glass seperation issues (and I

have't seen any mention of that on the BAS version).

Are these glass issues a thing of the past ater all this time or are they still

problematic?

Does anybody in the US have a BAS top? Can they be bought here?

Please comment if you have had a glass window conversion top on your

car for over a year or more.

Thanks! John

Updated Information:

Well, since I have heard from No One .(and I can't believe it!).......I have emailed Robbins

(no response yet) and BAS. BAS sent me the following info which I had never seen before

stating that they are using an exclusive "factory style" glass encapsulating method that

eliminates the glass/top fabric seperation problem.

This, combined with the look of the BAS tops pictured in this thread have sold me on their

product. However, it is more expensive ($1250.00 + frt) and I can't find any U.S. source

other than their one dedicated supplier on the extreme upper left coast.......plus I can't seem

to get a freight cost out of them (yet).

If you guys are waiting for a better/cheaper solution, I'm sure someone will come up with

something as soon as I commit to this one!

Part of the message received from BAS:

BOXSTER GLASS REAR WINDOW CONVERTIBLE TOP

Finally available in North America, a "must have" for all plastic window Boxster owners, the BAS

International Boxster Replacement Convertible Top. This high quality aftermarket product features

a heated glass rear window that is secured by OE quality encapsulation technology. This method

of rear window encapsulation is used exclusively by BAS International under agreement with the

OE manufacturer and is not available to other manufacturers currently employing non original heat

welding methods. Our top also plugs directly into the factory socket - no wiring or non original harness

required. Encapsulation technology ensures peace of mind protection against leaking and security

against rear window glass to cloth delamination. This is one upgrade you will enjoy immediately, whilst

increasing the resale value of your car for the future.

BAS International Rear Glass Window Top Features:

*OE quality encapsulation of rear window

*Heated rear window plugs into factory hardtop socket

*OE quality cloth material in all original and custom colors

*OE quality fixing extrusions and hardware

*Made in Europe to OE standards

*Manufacturers warranty

U.S. contact and source: Duncan Wells

........................................ Heritage Upholstery & Trim

........................................ duncan.basjag@telus.net

That's great information. Thanks for posting. What I would do is send that over to GAHH or Robbins, and have them try to respond. Maybe they can come up with an explanation of just what that "encapsulation" process is, and if it's any better than their recent versions of the glass top. I have read on other boards about folks who have had their GAHH or Robbins top for over one year without issues. Plus, they give standard 3 or 4 yr. warranties, so seems they are standing by their products as well. I figure at $800 to $1000 for the US version tops, that's a lot less than what you'll pay for the BAS top (given frt costs).

Updated Information:

Well, since I have heard from No One .(and I can't believe it!).......I have emailed Robbins

(no response yet) and BAS. BAS sent me the following info which I had never seen before

stating that they are using an exclusive "factory style" glass encapsulating method that

eliminates the glass/top fabric seperation problem.

This, combined with the look of the BAS tops pictured in this thread have sold me on their

product. However, it is more expensive ($1250.00 + frt) and I can't find any U.S. source

other than their one dedicated supplier on the extreme upper left coast.......plus I can't seem

to get a freight cost out of them (yet).

If you guys are waiting for a better/cheaper solution, I'm sure someone will come up with

something as soon as I commit to this one!

Part of the message received from BAS:

BOXSTER GLASS REAR WINDOW CONVERTIBLE TOP

Finally available in North America, a "must have" for all plastic window Boxster owners, the BAS

International Boxster Replacement Convertible Top. This high quality aftermarket product features

a heated glass rear window that is secured by OE quality encapsulation technology. This method

of rear window encapsulation is used exclusively by BAS International under agreement with the

OE manufacturer and is not available to other manufacturers currently employing non original heat

welding methods. Our top also plugs directly into the factory socket - no wiring or non original harness

required. Encapsulation technology ensures peace of mind protection against leaking and security

against rear window glass to cloth delamination. This is one upgrade you will enjoy immediately, whilst

increasing the resale value of your car for the future.

BAS International Rear Glass Window Top Features:

*OE quality encapsulation of rear window

*Heated rear window plugs into factory hardtop socket

*OE quality cloth material in all original and custom colors

*OE quality fixing extrusions and hardware

*Made in Europe to OE standards

*Manufacturers warranty

U.S. contact and source: Duncan Wells

........................................ Heritage Upholstery & Trim

........................................ duncan.basjag@telus.net

Edited by Boxtaboy

What I would do is send that over to GAHH or Robbins, and have them try to respond.

Doug Robbins responded that they have been selling lots of tops with no issues. I would still like

to hear owners actual experiences with Robbins and GAHH. There must be someone out there!