Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Glass window top replacement

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

The service guy at Stevens Creek said the customer paid $3,000 for the top and installation, but do not quote me on that. Because when I asked him what year Boxster was in the 3 pictures he said 1998. The car in the pictures was a Boxster S, so it could not have been a 1998. The car has to be a 2000-2002.

I think 98Boxster98 got it. There are 2 glass window tops listed on the GAHH site, depending on the material. They were not there when I looked at the site last year. Wish GAHH had pictures so I could verify if it is the same top put on by Premier.

Sure looks like there are 2 companies making a glass window top.

This is the second of the 3 pictures. Not much to see in this pic. I do not know the owner. I would like to see this version in the service position.

post-4-1114228205_thumb.jpg

Interestingly, in the new products for 2005 section of the GAHH website, it says it has a HEATED glass windows for the 1997-2002 Boxster (model 3121G.)

http://www.gahh.com/newproducts.php

I agree with ToolPants, I wish GAHH had a picture on the website. Maybe the heating elements are less obvious on their version. I sent an email to GAHH requesting more information and pictures.

FWIW, I contacted a top shop in Fort Worth, TX that said they can install the top for $525 and they've worked on Boxsters in the the past. I haven't checked it yet.

Edited by 98Boxster98

• Moderators

I took another picture of a picture of the top put on by Premier, against the oem glass top. Sorry, a really bad pic.

Since Premier would not tell CA Boxster where they get the top from, and my bet it is from GAHH, I will see if I can pull some strings and find out who makes the top.

In the meantime, if 98Boxster98 gets some pictures from GAHH we should be able to tell if it is their top put on by Priemer.

post-4-1114305601_thumb.jpg

Check out the GAHH top:

http://www.gahh.com/boxster/index.html

GAHH responded that $500 is a reasonable installation cost. At their website, you can request recommended installers. GAHH gave me 4 installers in my area.

PS: Install price is usually based on 9 hour install time. One installer told me that GAHH is offering free 2nd day shipping for this month and next month (I'm assuming valid for North America.)

Edited by 98Boxster98

• Moderators
The glass window convertible top is now available at Premier Auto Tops and Interiors in Santa Clara CA, phone # (408) 241-7090. It replaces the plastic window top on '97 to '02 Boxsters without changing the frame.

Wondered how long it would take Priemer to make a showing. So what top is being installed?

For 0586slb, I did take a picture of a 987. If I had been thinking it would have been a 2003/04 986. The glass window cars all look the same to me. [Edit: I measured the window on a 2004 986 and 2005 987 today. They are the same size. 34 1/2" wide and 11" high.]

Good job 98Boxster98 getting the link to the GAHH pics.

Here are the 3 tops, or is it really just 2? First is from the GAHH site. Second is the one put on by Priemer. Third is BAS.

The top put on by Priemer looks like the GAHH top to me.

post-4-1114490037_thumb.jpg

post-4-1114490086_thumb.jpg

post-4-1114490154_thumb.jpg

If you look closely at the GAHH top, you can see that it uses thin (unobtrusive) defroster strips, unlike BAS.  And it's cheaper too.

See http://www.gahh.com/boxster/BOXSTER6.jpg

Anyone know what "Sonnendeck Canvas" is?

Concern about defroster lines were expressed earlier in the thread. One of the chief reasons I asked GAHH to post pictures. I agree with you - the defroster lines appear less visible on the GAHH top.

The way that it was explained to me is that both German and Sonnendeck canvas are both very good canvases for tops. However, the German canvas is a tighter weave (silkier) and actually a little more durable than the Sonnendeck. I read somewhere (an online vendor site) that Porsche recommends the German canvas because it's silkier, less prone to abrade during closing and opening of the top on the Boxster..

I like the looks of the looks of the GAHH top, especially the thin defroster wires in the glass. Price seems reasonable. Does anyone think this is a DIY project, or is the mechanism simply too complicated to work with? Also, anyone know if the liner is part of the top? I'm assuming it is fully lined and insulated.

I like the looks of the looks of the GAHH top, especially the thin defroster wires in the glass.  Price seems reasonable.  Does anyone think this is a DIY project, or is the mechanism simply too complicated to work with?  Also, anyone know if the liner is part of the top?  I'm assuming it is fully lined and insulated.

I haven't seen a successful top install DIY post but I'm still hoping to see one. The main trick seems to be pulling the canvas tight enough so it doesn't sag.

The liner is not part of the GAHH top. There is one available for $315 (at the bottom of the same price list for the top.)

• Moderators

When I looked at the pictures of the top put on by Priemer I thought I saw orange defogger stripes, like the BAS top. It was not a good picture so I can't say for sure. CA Boxster can confirm because he just had Priemer put the top on. I would like to see this top in the service position and to see if there is anything to hold it up.

In the meantime, Wilfey on a UK Boxster board boxa.net also just had the BAS top put on at the factory. There is a group buy. I do not think the link will work unless you are registered on boxa.net. http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14592&st=0

Here are his pictures of a 1999.

post-4-1114684428_thumb.jpg

post-4-1114684507_thumb.jpg

post-4-1114684577_thumb.jpg

When I looked at the pictures of the top put on by Priemer I thought I saw orange defogger stripes, like the BAS top.  It was not a good picture so I can't say for sure.  CA Boxster can confirm because he just had Priemer put the top on.  I would like to see this top in the service position and to see if there is anything to hold it up.

In the meantime, Wilfey on a UK Boxster board boxa.net also just had the BAS top put on at the factory.  There is a group buy.  I do not think the link will work unless you are registered on boxa.net.  http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14592&st=0

Here are his pictures of a 1999.

I wrote BAS to ask about the width of the defroster lines compared to the OEM Porsche glass found post-2003 and other 3rd party replacement tops. They said that they are looking into the situation and will be get back to me.

A few quick responses:

The top put on by Premier has orange strips and one would never look at it and think they were anything unusual. I wouldn't worry about that.

I don't know the manufacturer, but I'd bet it's GAHH.

Does not come with the liner - that's separate. It may also be necessary to buy some new hardware to attach it with. I stopped asking questions at $300...

Sonnendeck:

General: http://cartops.articleinsider.com/117588_b...rtible_top.html

Haartz Corp (owns the patents, I believe): http://www.haartz.com/Product_Lines/ext/Au...ive_topping.htm

Ragarding DIY install: I don't know much other than that they said it's very similar to installing the regular top. Everthing I've read says that for areasonable fee it's worth having a pro do it rather than risk any kind of problem by over/under tensioning, unequal tension , etc. That stuff can cause longer term problems. It also took the better part of a day for a guy who knew what he was doing.

• Moderators

Thanks, I though I saw orange lines on the top in the picture from Premier just like BAS. Trivial, or you can stick to the plastic window. Put your top in the service position and take a picture.

The GAHH top is already on ebay with a buy it now price of $695. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true If you look at the pictures of the speed yellow car on ebay they are the same as the ones on GAHH's site.

A mechanic I know does all the 986/996 top work, and he said it takes him about 3 1/2 hours. But he has done at least 20 Boxster tops. I told him I was going to kidnap him for our local work on cars days so I can film him doing a top install. He says it is easy, but I bet the first one did not take just 3 1/2 hours.

This is the oem plastic window he put on a 1999 that I watched for a while.

post-4-1114715917_thumb.jpg

Wow, this just keeps on getting more and more interesting! At the ebay vendor's website, the top they offer for $695 on ebay is still only $698.

http://www.cabrioworld.com/secure/detail.a...454&modelID=413

Who really makes this top? It's still a mystery to me. Nice find, ToolPants and JiniJazz!

Edited by 98Boxster98

• Moderators

I contacted the ebay seller and confirmed it is the GAHH top. He said the heating element on the side is orange and the lines going accross are black, but this is not consistent as there may be different suppliers of the glass.

I see on the Cabrioworld site they have 2 different materials, as does GAHH.

Quick question... with the plastic window top a Boxster owner needs to do a double chop ... 1 for the window... and 2 for the next opening of the frame.

With this glass window top do you still need to do the second chop?

Edited by scherb

I contacted the ebay seller and confirmed it is the GAHH top.  He said the heating element on the side is orange and the lines going accross are black, but this is not consistent as there may be different suppliers of the glass.

I see on the Cabrioworld site they have 2 different materials, as does GAHH.

UPDATE

I also contacted this seller because he posted what you said on the ebay listing, and then emailed me that they were black. He said that he just got off the phone with GAHH who provides these two tops for them and they said that the strips across are black, and the larger ones going down on the sides are mostly black. He said that in fact GAHH uses the factory porsche glass in these tops from the later model Boxsters. You can go to the dealer and at least take a look at the glass portion. By the way, at 695.00 for the GAHH top I could not resist. They told me that the top would be shipped directly from GAHH out in California. I ordered it today and will repost when I get it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me because I have probably already asked them as I have been in contact with both Cabrioworld and GAHH several times with many questions.

If it's for a pre-2003 Boxster, it can't be the factory glass. In order to fit the old frame the glass has to be shorter. The guy was either confused or talking too fast.

Either way, that probably doesn't matter. Glass is glass.

Edited by CA_Boxster

If it's for a pre-2003 Boxster, it can't be the factory glass.  In order to fit the old frame the glass has to be shorter.  The guy was either confused or talking too fast.

Either way, that probably doesn't matter.  Glass is glass.

Good point. Either way, it has the same look with the black lines instead of orange. I will just be excited to get rid of that plastic rear window.