Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Glass window top replacement

What I would do is send that over to GAHH or Robbins, and have them try to respond.

Doug Robbins responded that they have been selling lots of tops with no issues. I would still like

to hear owners actual experiences with Robbins and GAHH. There must be someone out there!

I will also be in the market for a glass windowed top next Spring. I have a small crack (not fully cracked thru on my 01's plastic window), and so I can wait a few months. I asked the same question as you in terms of soliciting responses from folks who have had aftermarket glass windowed tops on PPBB. One responder to my thread had a GAHH for over a year, and the other had a Robbins for almost a year. Both loved their tops, and had no issues. Robbins even gives you a free top strap when you order their top, which allows you to easily prop the back of the window up, for easy engine access:

3162strap.jpg

I'm not sure which I'll go with at this point (GAHH or Robbins), but they both have 3 or 4 yr. warranties, so I'm not much worried either way.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone through a few of the GAHH tops as I was one of the early adopters and I had all the reported warranty issues, including the glass separation. My current top is about 18 months old and it's solid. I think that issue is a thing of the past. When this current top went on the car I could tell that they had made a number of changes to the overall design. Aside from the new process for sealing the glass in the top material they changed they had moved some of the seams and they were more heavy duty seams as well. I assume they did it to change the pressure points in the top to make it more durable. I could tell it was better than the earlier versions.

I don't know anything about the other brands but I think the GAHH top is good if you choose that one.

I've gone through a few of the GAHH tops as I was one of the early adopters and I had all the reported warranty issues, including the glass separation. My current top is about 18 months old and it's solid. I think that issue is a thing of the past. When this current top went on the car I could tell that they had made a number of changes to the overall design. Aside from the new process for sealing the glass in the top material they changed they had moved some of the seams and they were more heavy duty seams as well. I assume they did it to change the pressure points in the top to make it more durable. I could tell it was better than the earlier versions.

I don't know anything about the other brands but I think the GAHH top is good if you choose that one.

Thanks for your input CA. Those are the kind of answers we're looking for! :)

Good info, thanks guys.

I am interested in buying a 1999 Boxster and will be looking at a specific low-mileage car tomorrow. The current owner has disclosed that there is a tear in the plastic rear window. How much should I expect to pay to repair/replace this (in the Los Angeles area)? Any good shops to recommend? Thanks!

Good info, thanks guys.

I am interested in buying a 1999 Boxster and will be looking at a specific low-mileage car tomorrow. The current owner has disclosed that there is a tear in the plastic rear window. How much should I expect to pay to repair/replace this (in the Los Angeles area)? Any good shops to recommend? Thanks!

A ballpark figure for getting a new plastic window sewn in to your top will run about $400.

If you can find a shop that will do it with the top still on the frame assembly (but off the car), you can definitely save some $$ and the wear and tear that inevitably comes with stripping the top off the frame assembly.

Regards, Maurice.

I posted this back in Dec 2007.

I'm still holding on to the replacement top that Robbins sent me under warranty and haven't yet changed it because the old top is still holding up OK despite the minor separation.

Steven

Dec 2007: "It's been almost a year now since I replaced (myself) the top on my 2000 Boxster with a glass conversion from Robbins. I have to say that the fit, installation, and operation with the new top were all perfect -or at least as good as the OEM top. After a short time however, the top did begin to separate at one area where it is glued on the inside around the window and also at the back where it installs into the rear bow. It was clearly heat related, because it would disbond only in warm weather. The glue always remained tacky and if I pressed the fabric back together it would hold OK until the next time it was warm and parked in the sun (BTW I'm in Montreal Canada, summers can be warm here, but definitely not the hottest part of the planet). Let me add the fabric was not totally separating or opening, it was just a secondary fold that was becoming unglued. Concerned, I wrote Tops-on-line, (the e-Bay distributor I bought it from) about my problem asking if there was a procedure that they recommend to re-glue it and hopefully stop it from progressing. A couple of weeks later I received a brand new replacement top in the mail - no charge. My car is now in storage for the winter and I haven't yet had the chance to replace the top. For the time being it doesn't appear that the fabric will ever separate totally from the glass window so I'll probably wait and see how long it holds. The new top doesn't appear to be any different from the old one and my guess is that this is a problem with all the Robbins glass tops. I have to commend them for their excellent service in sending me a replacement, but I would feel a lot better with some acknowledgement of the problem from Robbins and confirmation that they have done something to address it."

• 5 months later...

New info from the GAHH web site:

Porsche Boxster Roadster: Convertible Top w/Glass Window: High-Level Acoustic A5

When you purchase a 1997-2002 GAHH Porsche Boxster glass upgrade top,

we'll send you the defroster wiring harness free! (retail value $159.00)

Porsche Boxster Roadster (1997-2002)

LIFETIME WARRANTY ON GLASS BONDING

Convertible Top Made in German High-Level Acoustic A5 Canvas.

Complete With Heated, Tinted GLASS Window.

Factory Colors: Black, Indigo, Space Gray, Graffiti/Graphite Gray (other colors available at an extra charge).

UltraMaxx Window Bonding System

Lifetime Warranty on Glass Bonding

Eliminates Piping and Stitching along edge of glass window

Eliminates heat-sealed press marks along edge of glass window

High Level Acoustic A5 German Cloth Topping Materials (a $200 value at no charge)

Effectively seals out road noise

Sound-suppression similar to a hard-top

Offers versatility, style & a perfect fit

Boxster-3121G_UltraMaxx_s.jpg

• 2 months later...

Peter,

I received my glass window top from GAHH a couple of weeks ago for my 97 Boxster and have completed the installation. All looks good except it is extremely tight front to back and I cannot pull the front forward far enough to engage the locking handle. Have you had similar issues? If I detach the bottom of the top along the bow the top closes fine. I am not sure if there is too much material set inside that bottom bow when I insert the seal that holds the fabric in place.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Tony

I have installed many GAHH tops. Glass and plastic. Have had no issues with them. 973-635-3443

Peter,

I received my glass window top from GAHH a couple of weeks ago for my 97 Boxster and have completed the installation. All looks good except it is extremely tight front to back and I cannot pull the front forward far enough to engage the locking handle. Have you had similar issues? If I detach the bottom of the top along the bow the top closes fine. I am not sure if there is too much material set inside that bottom bow when I insert the seal that holds the fabric in place.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Tony

Tony:

It is highly unlikely that you put too much material into the bottom bow, as the additional material that is supposed to go into the rearmost channel of the rear bow is pre-cut and its length and position is pre-determined by the first flap that goes in with the barbed vinyl strip.

Try to let the top sit in some hot sun for a couple of days, while it is stretched to the max and then try to latch it. If it does latch, leave it closed for a few days while you drive around in the sun and it will stretch.

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I had the GAHH window upgrade installed on my 02 S. Love the look, but am really bummed on the engine access or...lack thereof. I was told by GAHH after reading about this known challenge, that the access would be ok. It is not. No chance I can even change the air filter. Any GAHH owners who would like to give me advice on how to achieve the most clearance and space to get access would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I didn't think it's that bad. I installed mine 1 year ago. I have changed the filter and taken out the whole throttle body assembly for cleaning since then without much trouble. The back of the window no longer stays up when you try to fold it up in the service position. But that didn't really cause much trouble for me. Just do everything kneeling on the seat from inside the cabin; or fold the seats forward and lean against the back of the seats.

• 1 month later...