Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Should my exhaust noise change w/ Sport Button?

I recently purchased a CPO 2008 4S and have question about my exhaust. Should my exhaust sound louder or deeper when I press the Sport Button? I have the Sport Crono option, but I do not have the PSE. I was told that aside from the performance enhancements, the exhaust should sound louder and deeper when the sport button was depressed. My friend has a 2006 S, and when he presses the Sport button the exhaust sounds very different. Please help. Thanks.

Thanks. I'm looking into Fabspeed, but I don't want to spend the money for the whole kit. They tell me that replacing the mufflers only will improve the sound, increase the HP and reduce the weight.

Well, PSE only improves sound. With NO drone. And NO CEL's.

Edited by White987S

post-67424-0-34321500-1378846462_thumb.jThemo,

you can tell very easily if you have PSE by simply looking at the tailpipes. If they are the same diameter and when you look insde them you see only one pipe from underneath entering the tailpipe, that is a stock exhaust (all based on the assumption your car still has the OEM system). On the OEM PSE, you will still have twin tailpipes on each side but the outer pipe is larger in diameter than the inside pipe. When you look inside the tailpipe, you will see two pipes entering the tailpipe from underneath instead of just one. When I push the "sport" button on my 08C2S, there is a definite change in tone and it is deeper in sound than the stock OEM system. pix of OEM PSE tailpipes.

Edited by 0356kid

You might check out the Fister D system. I had those until I changed over to the OEM PSE system. The louder sound with Fister D unfortunately annoyed my wife, "it's too loud". Now the PSE can be engaged when she is not in the car and I can enjoy it:-)

Themo, You only need the cans. The O2 sensors are in their normal position and there will not be any check engine lights. Fabspeed quality is excellent as is their service. There may be a little more power on a dyno but it is not something you would notice. 25 lb less in the way back improves handling which you may indeed notice. The sound is a mater of taste. You can go online and hear a car with Fabspeed mufflers but the fidelity is not great. You might find and independent shop near you that is a dealer and they may be able to get a car for you too listen to. IMHO PSE is just a gimmick and something else to break. I always go for the aftermarket exhaust.

Edited by Mijostyn

You might check out the Fister D system. I had those until I changed over to the OEM PSE system. The louder sound with Fister D unfortunately annoyed my wife, "it's too loud". Now the PSE can be engaged when she is not in the car and I can enjoy it:-)

If you are interested in the Fister mufflers as an option, I have a set I pulled off my 997.1 last night and am about to post on eBay for sale (probably on 9/19). I'm switching everything back to stock in preparation for a trade-in and selling the upgrades separately. I love the sound under throttle, and at idle or gentle throttle they aren't that loud, are are just little more raspy/throaty. The sound isn't very far off what you hear on a PSE exhaust in Sport mode as long as you realize you can't switch these to a quiet mode.

Look around for reviews or take a look on fdmotorsports.com web site for more info on the Fister mufflers. People have also posted video/audio on YouTube. The welding is all-stainless and of the highest quality. I'll send photos if you are interested. I won't be needing an exchange so you can keep/sell your current exhaust as you see fit.

The change out isn't very hard as long as you are comfortable getting under the back with a socket wrench, jack, and jack stands. I did it last night in just over two hours without working terribly fast. You only have to remove 6 muffler bolts, loosen 4 slip-collar bolts where the slip collar joins to the cats, and temporarily remove one small fender brace (1 small bolt and 1 small torx screw on each side to make removal easy). A frame on the muffler itself switches out with only 2 bolts on each side, and the exhaust tips remove with only one bolt each. Installation is in reverse.

Note that these Fister mufflers are from a non-S, but the S and non-S mufflers are interchangeable except the outlet tip on the non-S is a little smaller. I have the bushing needed for the S tips to fit correctly so it isn't really a problem. I know that the S (non-PSE) and non-S mufflers are interchangable since I am now running an non-PSE S exhaust on my non-S car (which has aftermarket S-sized tips) and the fitting was exactly the same (except the tips as mentioned above, but the bushing takes care of that). Sorry if that is confusing, but it is accurate.

Beware of all of the other aftermarket solutions, all the others I researched often have people of the forums reporting drone. The Fisters do not drone, nor have I found anyone else claiming they've had a drone either. If you (or anyone else) is interested within the next two days, let me know before I put these on Ebay. I don't think we are allowed to discuss prices in the open here, so use "Send me a message" to send a private message and we can discuss. I'll be sure to comfortably beat the price you would pay straight from Fister for a non-exchange price... I will not consider any exchange.

And BTW, if anyone ever wants tips on installation of the muffler for a 997.1, I've done it twice now and will be glad to share more advice above what I described above. It was much more straightforward than I expected. Just be sure to have a good low-profile jack and jack stands for your safety (I use the low profile 2 1/2 ton Craftsman jack and does a great job).

• 2 months later...

If you are interested in the Fister mufflers as an option, I have a set I pulled off my 997.1 last night and am about to post on eBay for sale (probably on 9/19). I'm switching everything back to stock in preparation for a trade-in and selling the upgrades separately. I love the sound under throttle, and at idle or gentle throttle they aren't that loud, are are just little more raspy/throaty. The sound isn't very far off what you hear on a PSE exhaust in Sport mode as long as you realize you can't switch these to a quiet mode.

Look around for reviews or take a look on fdmotorsports.com web site for more info on the Fister mufflers. People have also posted video/audio on YouTube. The welding is all-stainless and of the highest quality. I'll send photos if you are interested. I won't be needing an exchange so you can keep/sell your current exhaust as you see fit.

The change out isn't very hard as long as you are comfortable getting under the back with a socket wrench, jack, and jack stands. I did it last night in just over two hours without working terribly fast. You only have to remove 6 muffler bolts, loosen 4 slip-collar bolts where the slip collar joins to the cats, and temporarily remove one small fender brace (1 small bolt and 1 small torx screw on each side to make removal easy). A frame on the muffler itself switches out with only 2 bolts on each side, and the exhaust tips remove with only one bolt each. Installation is in reverse.

Note that these Fister mufflers are from a non-S, but the S and non-S mufflers are interchangeable except the outlet tip on the non-S is a little smaller. I have the bushing needed for the S tips to fit correctly so it isn't really a problem. I know that the S (non-PSE) and non-S mufflers are interchangable since I am now running an non-PSE S exhaust on my non-S car (which has aftermarket S-sized tips) and the fitting was exactly the same (except the tips as mentioned above, but the bushing takes care of that). Sorry if that is confusing, but it is accurate.

Beware of all of the other aftermarket solutions, all the others I researched often have people of the forums reporting drone. The Fisters do not drone, nor have I found anyone else claiming they've had a drone either. If you (or anyone else) is interested within the next two days, let me know before I put these on Ebay. I don't think we are allowed to discuss prices in the open here, so use "Send me a message" to send a private message and we can discuss. I'll be sure to comfortably beat the price you would pay straight from Fister for a non-exchange price... I will not consider any exchange.

And BTW, if anyone ever wants tips on installation of the muffler for a 997.1, I've done it twice now and will be glad to share more advice above what I described above. It was much more straightforward than I expected. Just be sure to have a good low-profile jack and jack stands for your safety (I use the low profile 2 1/2 ton Craftsman jack and does a great job).

Can I get the FD Motorsports cans for my C4S and still use the PSE "Sport" button to make it quiet/loud??? Thanks!!

I had the Fister's on my 996. People would stop me and say they never heard a Porsche sound like that...... That modification was about $500 and I did it myself. With the Fister system If you keep the revs under 2,500-3,000 it's relatively quiet. Anything above that and it sounds terrific - and a bit louder.

If you want to be able to switch quiet to loud, Fabspeed is the way to go. It's got a FOB w/a remote quiet/loud switch. However, with Fabspeed, you're talking maybe $2,500(?) then more for the install.

I now have a C4S w/the PSE. It sounds great and you can turn it up using the Sport button anytime you like.

Enjoy it - this is a "good problem"!!!!