Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  
NewArt1

Tiptronic D-4 flashing, P0710, Not in limp mode.

Lately my 2001 Boxster S tiptronic has been throwing a P0710 code. This is indicated first by my transmission selector lights flashing alternately between D and 4. Otherwise the transmission behaves normally, shifting up and down, in both auto and manual modes. Information on this is sketchy. My durametric tells me that the code (P0710) is a Transmission temperature sensor fault. I would first like to check the sensor, a procedure which is briefly outlined in a repair manual ("Check sender for ATF temperature with wiring. To do this connect an ohmmeter to control module connector pins 21 and 22...etc.) Now there's a box in my rear trunk that's supposed to be the control unit but where exactly are the connector pins 21 and 22 located? Sorry if I seem a bit dense here. :unsure:

-James

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Thanks, I'll check that. BTW my car's last home was in Roseville. Ron Kain at IPB Autosport did the PPI.

Seems that the fluid is okay. It was replaced in the spring. It may be the sensor. Had a hard time finding the right part number. Apparently you have to replace the whole wiring harness. The part is 4 hundred and change at Porsche, I found an OEM for 170. I'll try to figure out the electrical troubleshooting procedure first.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ronnie38
      MY2001 911C4 CAB : Had slippage in 3rd when making a 90 degree turn as it shifted into 3 underpower. Ah I though low fluid so I changed the filter and the oil yes Porsche type. Now if I drove it right (go like a Porsche) and so 3, 4th then flashing indicator and limp mode. Took it to an Indy Porsche mechanic, replaced valve body input output sensors, worked on it for 3 months gave back no charge couldn't fix it. So I have been driving it in manual shifting at 2200 RPM works fine if I go to 2700 RPM bingo limp mode. The P0717 just; showed up today as I pushed it.
      The P0717 on line checking said the control module or ground fault. Anyone out there can help? Don't want to throw money at it and buy a control module.
    • By crwarren11
      Hi all,
      2000 Boxster Tiptronic with 113k mi.  I recently removed the transmission to deal with another issue, but while doing so some of the brittle SAI hoses cracked and/or became disassembled.  I have replaced the cracked lines (i.e. not all of the lines) and reconnected according to the following picture, with the exception that I have a Tiptronic and there is a hose that runs to a changeover valve on the transmission:

I get the typical SAI codes, P0410 (80) and P1411 (208), about every 150mi driven.  Otherwise the car drives great...SAI pump is running and holding air as usual.

Presumably, I have something connected incorrectly, possibly with respect to connection to the transmission changeover valve.  The one thing I notice different than before removing the transmission is that the car seems to be running cooler than before.  I suspect this could be caused by the changeover valve for the transmission as I think it controls the flow of coolant to the ATF cooler (not sure about this and hoping for clarification).  The other thing that I don't really suspect, is that the new hoses used do not have the small bulbed end to help with that snap-fit into the intake sleeves. 

I have not found a good image showing the SAI hose routing for a 986 Tiptronic, so if anyone knows of one I would be very grateful.  I have the Bentley manual which also does not show a Tiptronic-specific diagram for SAI routing.

Any other ideas or does this sound like simply incorrect hose connections?

Many thanks for your input!

• By Angel Martin
      I need to replace the ATF wiring harness in my 2002 986 w/ tiptronic due to a defective temperature sensor that forms part of it. I have been unable to find any information as to what it entails and / or how it can be replaced.   Appreciate any insight. 
    • By Ronnie38
      My 2001 C4 Automatic had what appeared to slip (over rev) when making scarp turns, decided to replace transmission filter and refill, the first run after 10 minuets the transmission went into limp mode (lights on drive selector started to flash) check engine lamp came on (P0734 and P0734) was read. the reason given was input and output ratio wrong for both codes.
      The Durmatic gave no other info. So I proceeded to  order both input and output sensors. Since I couldn't confirm if a shift selonod was bad. Mean while I am in Cal for the holidays I remembered I moved two of the magnets in the pan there were 4 magnets 2 each in the depressions in the rear of the pan I took one each and moved the forward closer to the input and output sensors.
      Anybody out there have any idea besides taking it to the dealer, at 75 bucks for the 5 liters of tranny oil each time I replace something to help me be smarter?
    • By Branko Ljubetic
      Hi. Im new in this forum, and i registered search for help, so thanks in advance.

I bought a 97 boxster tiptronic, with no issues at all. Scanned, everything was ok. Then i started to read about the model, and i was concerned about de IMS, so i replaced it with parts from Pelican. I took the oportunity to drain the torque converter and replace fluid (filters gaskets also) on the tiptronic transmission. Then my mechanic built everything, and the lights on the gear and lever on the panel were blinking. Also cant use "manual mode" nor the 5th gear. He checked everything, but the problem are still there. 

Searched on the interenet, seems to be something called "limited driving programme" where the transmision limits itself in event of a failure. On the internet also i found most of time is related with transmision servicing, but i changed all fluid (torque converter including).

I used the recomended ATF by manual (pentosin) and changed filter, gaskets from ZF (the transmission manufacturer).

Sadly, i live on a small city in Northern Chile, almost 2000km from a Porsche authorized mechanic in capital, Santiago, so its not an option to take the car there.

My mechanic here is a really honest guy, but he seems to not understand this transmission. I dont know what to do, but ill scan the car in a few hours.

Any advice will be hughely appreciated guys. Thanks a lot.

Branko

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.