Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removed passenger seat. Airbag failure light is on. Help?

Hey guys,

I removed the passenger seat today to make room for something on an upcoming trip. Everything went well, but when I started the car, I get the "airbag failure" error on the ODO.

I am searching for more information, but since this is urgent (trip is tomorrow!), I posted this thread so someone can help me.

Any thoughts?

You to disconnect the battery before removing the electrical connectors on the seats - or you will get an airbag light.

You will need Durametric, a Porsche PST2 or Porsche PIWIS to clear the airbag code.

Thanks for the quick response Loren. My searches revealed the same thing - **** noobie mistake is going to cost me $300 for a durametric. Sigh.

Let me confirm with you - if I want to use the car with the passenger seat removed for an extended period of time, resetting the code with durametric is enough? Are my other airbags still working fine?

Can I drive the car till the durametric gets here? Or should I wait to clear the code before driving?

Yes, other airbags should work fine.

Some racer/track hounds use a resistor to simulate the airbag - do a search here for that.

You can clear it Durametric but it will keep coming back on until the issue is fixed (or jumpered).

But Loren, I am reading that if you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 30+ minutes before unplugging the seat, it won't trigger the airbag failure warning? Obviously I didn't do that, but if I reset the warning with a durametric, isn't there a way to keep it from coming back? Unplug battery? Let it sit overnight?

Also, I found this thread where you talk about resistors:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/206-is-there-a-seat-belt-light-hack/

I am not sure I want to go down that route, sounds complicated. Is there a simpler, more straightforward way instead of jumping pins?

• Admin

You do not need to wait 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery 5 minutes will do.

Also, remove the key from the ignition switch - the moment the key is in the ignition the airbag system starts.

You are trying to override a government required safety system - it is not not to be easy.

Other than the resistor trick - I do not know a way to "fool" the system. So black tape over the light works for some folks too...

You do not need to wait 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery 5 minutes will do.

Also, remove the key from the ignition switch - the moment the key is in the ignition the airbag system starts.

You are trying to override a government required safety system - it is not not to be easy.

Other than the resistor trick - I do not know a way to "fool" the system. So black tape over the light works for some folks too...

Appreciate your patience, but I am confused.

If I did this the right way, i.e., disconnect the battery and wait, before unplugging the seat, there would be no airbag light. Correct? So.. couldn't I just connect the seat back, reset the light with the durametric, then start the process over again, this time with the battery disconnected?

I am not trying to override any government required safety system. Government has no laws about having a passenger seat in the car. I want the seat removed so my friend can travel with me in comfort. Like so.

IMAG0079.jpg

Also, if I connect the seat back, will the warning light automatically go off? Or do I still need to reset it with a durametric? Basically, I am trying to decide whether I need to spend the $300 on a durametric or just live with the warning light.

Also, is the warning light on because of the seatbelt or is it on because of side airbags in the seat? My C4S is a 2003, and I didn't think the seat had side airbags. If it's seatbelt related, couldn't I get a spare receptacle and plug the seatbelt into that to prevent the light from coming on? I saw some threads about that...

Edited by xxaarraa

As long as the seat is out and the connection to the seat belts is "missing" you will get an airbag light.

" If it's seatbelt related, couldn't I get a spare receptacle and plug the seatbelt into that to prevent the light from coming on?" Yes.

OK! I sent you a PM Loren, thanks again.

Loren is correct the only way to turn off the light use a resister and jump the pins or put the seat back in. you will also need Durametric, a Porsche PST2 or Porsche PIWIS to clear the airbag code. We use a 2.5 ohm resister as a simulator to test SRS systems all the time. You can find tool companys that sell SRS simulators with the yellow plug but youre going to pay $75.00 to $100.00 for it. If you get a resister just shape it like the picture and jump the pins.

post-29211-0-55437800-1380503828_thumb.j

Edited by binger

Loren is correct the only way to turn off the light use a resister and jump the pins or put the seat back in. you will also need Durametric, a Porsche PST2 or Porsche PIWIS to clear the airbag code. We use a 2.5 ohm resister as a simulator to test SRS systems all the time. You can find tool companys that sell SRS simulators with the yellow plug but youre going to pay $75.00 to $100.00 for it. If you get a resister just shape it like the picture and jump the pins.

attachicon.gif2.5 ohm.jpg

I would gladly pay $75 to $100 for a simulator. I am not comfortable making my own resistor and jumping pins. Can you please link me to any tools that are for sale for this purpose?