Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL, ONE OF THOSE SHORT THROW SHIFTERS IN MY 2002 911/996 , BUT WONDERED ABOUT WHERE TO GET THE BEST PRICE, AND WHAT MAKE ? ALSO DOES IT REALLY MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE FROM THE OEM ONE ? AND LASTLY, IS IT HARD TO INSTALL ONE, OR SHOULD I HAVE MY LOCAL PORSCHE GUY DO IT ? ANY HELP ON THE LATTER, WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THANKS DC

I've installed the Numeric short shifter in my 2002 Carrera, a piece of industrial artwork in its own right and a shame to cover up inside the console. I originally installed a GT3 Cup cable but found the noise transmitted into the cockpit to be a bit much for me, even though I tend to be on the hard-core side of motorsports. So, I then installed a new stock, over-the-counter cable. The noise was gone but so was the incredible feel of the Numeric, its ball-bearings and the Cup cable with its substantially larger diameter cables. So there's no misunderstanding, the feel with the stock cable is way better than with the stock shifter assembly; but having been so spoiled by the feel of the Cup cable, I still wasn't satisfied.

So, today I had my favorite independent shop--Boca Tech Auto Center, Boca Raton, Fl (561.395.0087)--a Numeric dealer--install the Numeric-modified Cup cable with adjustable, ball-bearing assisted rod-ends. The noise is about 40-50% suppressed, the sublime feel of the shifter has been restored and I'm pleased! The shift lever feels as though it bolted to a solid piece of metal, no slop, no vagueness. Very pure . . . . Mike at Boca Tech is the master of fine adjustments and he hit the nail squarely on the head with the adjustments he did today installing the Numeric- modified shift cable to my Numeric short shifter that I've had in the car for the past 7 months.

Phil Croyle

Boca Raton, FL

Another route to go is the shifter from the 997. While not as short as a short shift kit, it is still significantly shorter and makes the 996 shifter feel like the shifter from a semi. Plus, it bolts right in without any cutting or modification to the stock parts, so you can always return the car to stock form at a later date.

Another route to go is the shifter from the 997. While not as short as a short shift kit, it is still significantly shorter and makes the 996 shifter feel like the shifter from a semi. Plus, it bolts right in without any cutting or modification to the stock parts, so you can always return the car to stock form at a later date.

+1 . I have the 997 shifter and love it a lot. The throw reduction is not as much, about 15-20% but absolutely no slop. The install is also very easy.

Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. But what is wrong with the one from B&M ? I'm sure the "genuine Porsche" 997 one costs as much or more, and the throw reduction seems minimal, ref above post ? Is there a video showing how easy an install this could be ? I'm trying to get a consensus of opinions here, and from what I have heard the B&M shifter is the best, with the 'shortest throw' so why bother with the 997 one ? Please advise on ease of installation, and the quality, and range of motion ? Thanks Dave.

I had the 996 short shifter before (same as the B&M you refer to) and the throw was too short and too notchy for my taste. It requires significant more force to shift. If shortest throw is a must, you should go with the B&M. However, the 997 is still noticeably shorter than stock but significantly easier and more accurate to shift. At the end it's a personal choice. Kinda like asking what firmness of mattress one likes :)

Ok thanks Ahsai.

Do you recall how much the 997 shifter is , the B&M one is about $230.00 , I assume this is a OEM stock 997 shifter your referring to ? And I assume it fits exactly in place of the 996 one ? Anyone else got an opinion on replacing the stock 996 shifter in my 2002 C2 911 ? Pros. or cons about the B&M one and the 997 replacement, and ease of installation ? Thanks Dave.

Yes, it's the stock OE 997 shifter, which is a plug-and-play. It comes assembled in it's own shifter tower and an alignment tool to align the cables. You swap out the whole shifter and tower assembly so it's completely reversible. I think it's less than $300 but don't quite remember.

The B&M requires you to destroy the stock plastic bushings on the shifter tower so the only way to reverse it is to get the whole shifter assembly. However, I'm sure you can sell the whole installed B&M assembly to someone else.

997 shifter (and a GT3 option) http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997SCU.html

Have read a few lengthy discussions on a big P forum on the BW shifter v the Porsche Factory kit (http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997SCU.html), consensus were that the latter was to be recommended. A few quid extra yes, but have bought it none the less.

No feed back as of yet, will install post Xmas :)

Kind Regards

The 15-20% reduction might not sound like a lot, but the difference is huge.

The base 997 shifter isn't that much more expensive than the B&M shifter. If you opt for the GT3 shifter, you get metal bushings, which may be beneficial if you track the car. That said, the GT3 shifter is considerably more expensive.

The installation is fairly straightforward. The only thing that bit me was popping the cables back in. I was expecting them to slide in effortlessly, and wasted a while trying to do that, before finally just pushing on them. The other important thing to remember is to take a marker and mark the cable end attachments. The base 997 shifter came with the alignment tool, but the markings were still nice for peace of mind.

Also, the B&M shifter can be rather hard to shift in below freezing weather until the transmission fluid heats up. If you only drive in warm weather, it's a non-issue. But I had one in my Boxster, and the first time it was hard to shift in cold weather, I immediately feared a transmission rebuild was coming soon. Just something to be aware of.

• 1 month later...

I installed the 997 shift console and purchased it from Suncoast. I am happy with the results and the relatively easy DIY. The B&M instructions are helpful in taking apart and removing your old console. The 997 is plug and play once you get the old one out and Suncoast has them on sale so the price is comparable to B&M without the hassle of swapping out parts on your old console and replacing with the B&M.