Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster/Boxster S coolant system differences?

I am planning on adding the S center radiator to my 99 Boxster base. Should I also consider replacing the coolant hoses pipes with S hardware? I seem to remember reading the S pipe diameter was larger than the base so I am assuming if I wanted to do this conversion I would have to replace inlet/outlet coolant connections to the engine? I have reviewed the center radiator install on Pedro's Board and Pelican but no discussion regarding coolant lines.

Any thoughts?

• Moderators

I am planning on adding the S center radiator to my 99 Boxster base. Should I also consider replacing the coolant hoses pipes with S hardware? I seem to remember reading the S pipe diameter was larger than the base so I am assuming if I wanted to do this conversion I would have to replace inlet/outlet coolant connections to the engine? I have reviewed the center radiator install on Pedro's Board and Pelican but no discussion regarding coolant lines.

Any thoughts?

The coolant pipes on the 986 S cars are larger in diameter than the base cars, creating a problem getting a leak tight fit with the special hoses for the center radiator kits. While some have resorted to a concoction of soldered copper fittings to make this work, there is a more elegant and leak proof alternative available from a firm named Precision Chassis Works ( http://www.precisionchassisworks.com/boxster-cooling-line-modification.html ):

1982753_orig.jpg?350

They will sell you the special end fittings to weld into your pipes, will weld them into your pipes for you, or even sell you a set already done. Craftsmanship is very good, and they fit perfectly without raiding the plumbing section of your local home center, and everything else in the cooling system remains stock.

• 1 year later...

I contacted precision they still do the mod but using your pipes they don't exchange them. are these the pipes that run under the car from the engine to the front of the car?  I want to install the 3rd radiator. I have the center radiator and the S Y coolant lines. Not sure what else I would need.  Also how difficult is this to do? Seems like replacing the coolant hoses is a PITA! in the wheel wells. I have so far replaced both coolant fans, water pump/themostat/engine mount, new brakes, brake booster retro seal kit, so I am quickly becoming an experienced Boxster mechanic. I don't want to take the car apart and not have the parts I need to complete the job. 

• Moderators

I contacted precision they still do the mod but using your pipes they don't exchange them. are these the pipes that run under the car from the engine to the front of the car?  I want to install the 3rd radiator. I have the center radiator and the S Y coolant lines. Not sure what else I would need.  Also how difficult is this to do? Seems like replacing the coolant hoses is a PITA! in the wheel wells. I have so far replaced both coolant fans, water pump/themostat/engine mount, new brakes, brake booster retro seal kit, so I am quickly becoming an experienced Boxster mechanic. I don't want to take the car apart and not have the parts I need to complete the job. 

Unless you have TIG welding skills and equipment, this would not be a DIY job as you would have to take your pipes to someone to have them welded.  These pipes are connect your base cooling lines to the larger diameter line center radiator (on the S cars, all of the hard lines and hoses are larger in diameter).

• 3 weeks later...

I have the complete assembly center radiator ready to bolt on. I also have both left and right feed and return hoses and pipes from an "S" the pipes/hoses that are visible in each wheel well. The question I have is if I remove the existing hose/pipes from the radiator to the main coolant pipes that run down the center of the car will they fit? I have read the S pipes are larger for more volume but are the differences the hose/pipes in the front wheel wells? Also, assuming the S hoses/pipes can replace the existing base pipes/hoses what is the easiest/least painful way to go about replacing the pipes/hoses? Do i need to remove the coolant fans to get to the claps on the radiators? I thought that by getting the S pipes/hoses I would have a cleaner and easier install but not sure that is the case. Seems like the install described in Pedro's DIY with the copper fittings would be easier but don't want to start cutting anything until I am sure what fittings I would need. I replaced both coolant fans last year and that was a PITA! So i don't want to take that all apart again.

• Moderators

There is no easy way to replace the base engine hard lines running through the tunnel and into the wheel wells with the larger diameter "S" versions; there are a lot of things in the way the will have to come out, plus all the coupling hose sections will need to be replaced as well.  The front bumper,  wheel well liners, and under trays must be removed to gain access, and some find it easier to move the AC condensers out of the way as well.  That is why different people developed "adaptor's" either made from copper fittings or by modifying the existing hard lines to the larger hose size (Precision Chassis Works) to compensate for the larger rubber hoses.  If you wanted to replace all of the hard lines, they do bolt right in once all the old ones are out, but it is an expensive and time consuming proposition.

If you want to see a DIY tutorial done some years back on the subject, try this: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/radiator/

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Moderators

I completed the install of the 3rd radiator a couple of weeks ago. I had precision weld the adapters onto the pipes. they did a great job and installation took me little less than a day

We have used them several times, they do nice work and it makes the install straight forward and trouble free.