Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Torque values for 2005 CS' two belt "Deflection" Pulleys

Engine is getting noisier. Doesn't idle quietly anymore. Hopefully its just the serpentine belt pulleys and not the generator, AC compressor, water pump or power steering pump. Or the belt tensioner pulley. I can't seem to find the torque values for the two deflection pulleys, can anyone help? I found the pulleys online, cost OK, but I first have to remove the belt to find out what is causing the noise.

Occaisionally, when I start up the car, there is a harsh screech sound... for about 1/3 of a second. I am guessing there is belt slippage and/or that a component is on the verge of seizing up. There was another post, I think in 2010 that mentioned this, but there wasn't a reply.

Thanks in advance.

I concur. The start up noise sounds like the starter not disengaging cleanly. It happens more in the cold weather. You'll see several posts that describe it on here, most folks just accept it and don't do anything to fix it. Mine's been doing it for 4 years and doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

As for your noises at idle, I'd look at your water pump before you do anything else. The water pump is the top pulley. I'm on water pump number three. Telltale symptoms are pulley noise at idle. Sort of like a marble rolling around the circumference of a coffee can. If it ends up being the water pump I recommend you replace the thermostat while you're in there, and use a Porsche water pump. The Lasco pump I used only lasted 10K miles and I replaced it after the bearings on it began making noises. Let me know if you need one. I have an extra (don't ask).

One question please which is touching almost the same point. I got my drive belt replaced some weeks ago. Before not any noise. Now its making the same scary noise like describe above. Porsche is telling me, thats the new belt. That cant be right in m.o.

Noise from the belt you just hear if you drive the car up from 2500 rpm.

If you park and rev up to 2500 or more there is nothing to hear. Thank you

Loren, thanks for the update of the torque values. Always appreciate a good diagram. Use to take drafting in high school many many moons ago.

"Ignited" : I've only heard the screech three time since I owned the CS for the last 6 months, so it is not a daily thing. Good thing my wife hasn't heard it yet or she will not be too happy.

"wvicary" & "jagman1", thanks for your help regarding pointing to the starter.

Update for noise at idle. Only happening when the engine is cold. After warm-up, noise disappears. I am guessing a faulty water pump bearing noise would not go away even if the engine is warm??? Anyways, I will try to loosen the belt and play around with three pulleys (left, right, tensioner) ones, and just rotate the other components (water pump, power steering, generator, ac compressor). I know how a bad pulley is like by recent experience with a E320's pulley... it was like someone put sand in it and had lots of play in it, like wobbling.

"ekstroemtj" You are in Germany? Bring it to a different dealership and ask them to have a listen. Maybe its just like most things... If its working, don't touch it... maybe working on your SUV disturbed something else (sorry, not much help). You should still be warranteed for the work done to put in the belt, right?

Edited by Ricky1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Loosened belt, then checked pulleys, power steering pump and water pump (couldn't reach far enough to check AC compressor and generator).

Result:

Water pump and power steering pump pulleys: no play and rotates OK (far from a thorough inspection but seems OK).

Left and right pulleys: rotates OK, left one has no lateral play, right one has minute play.

Tensioner pulley: Rotates TOO freely, eg. spin it with my fingers and it would spin for about 10 seconds before stopping, this to me means there is no lube inside where the bearings are to allow it to "free wheel" for such a long time. Of course, since I don't know what a new one is like, I am just speculating. There is about a 1/2 a millimeter of lateral play... a little more that what "feels" right.

My conclusion: A bearing in good condition should have enough lubricant in it so that a pulley won't be able to spin so freely. This means the tensioner pulley needs to be replaced. ECS Tuning has it for about $37.xx plus shipping. I will report back when I install it and hopefully, this was the cause of the noise.

As for the engine starting screech... another post: "2004 S starter noise" has good info.

post-88071-0-89282400-1385835391_thumb.j

12" adjustable wrench to loosen the tensioner, just long enough for leverage. Home Depot 30mm box wrench was about $12, longer for leverage.