Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Digit missing on odometer screen? 2002 996 Targa

I posted this on another web forum, but have not been getting any good info.

I have a CARFAX mileage discrepancy on a 2002 996 that I purchased earlier this year.

HOWEVER, the mileage is almost exactly 100,000 miles different between the CarFax report and the actual odometer reading.

The original owner said the car had about 158K miles on it, when the dealer bought it (purportedly due to a blown headgasket).

The car went to auction and bounced around auction companies for about 8 months, according to the CarFax.

About 2 months before I bought the car, CarFax report shows that the mileage magically changed to 62,xxx miles (not 162,xxx).

Because this odometer reading would be believable if it were 162,xxx, I now am thinking that the light behind the "1" in 162,xxx might have burned out or be otherwise non-functioning whereby the "1" isn't working.

Is it possible for just one number on the odometer to be burned out, and not the entire set of mileage numbers?

I think 2002 used LEDs, right?

Is there a way to check if this is a lighting problem?

Is there a way to DIY fix it, with some electrical soldering skills?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I dont know a way to query the mileage from the instrument cluster directly but Durametric can display the operating hrs from which you could approx the actual mileage. Should be obvious if 100k miles are missing

http://www.durametric.com/usedporschebuyersguide.aspx

Durametric can also activate the instrument cluster for functional check but I don't remember if lights up all the segments of the odometer during the test though.

Edited by Ahsai

I dont know a way to query the mileage from the instrument cluster directly but Durametric can display the operating hrs from which you could approx the actual mileage. Should be obvious if 100k miles are missing

http://www.durametric.com/usedporschebuyersguide.aspx

Durametric can also activate the instrument cluster for functional check but I don't remember if lights up all the segments of the odometer during the test though.

Yep, having that done. I expect it to have hours comaparable to 160K miles. However, I'd like to know if it is the original speedo/odometer, and why it's not showing 160K inxstead of 60K. I was told by a local Porsche mechanic that the clock cannot be turned back on these odometers -- so either it was replaced, or one of the digits is not lighting up.

The odometer is liquid xtal, The connections for LCD tougher to reconnect you may have a back light out but I think some dealer rowed it back, I got a back light out on my clock if I shine a flash light on it I can see the digits.

I'll try the flashlight thing when I get it back from the shop.

Thanks.

• Moderators

You can also obtain this information with the Durametric system, by reading the accrued operation hours from the DME and dividing it into the mirage shown on the odometer to obtain the vehicles average MPH. As most cars average between 30-50MPH over their life span, a number well below 30MPH would be suspect.

You also need to know that swapping out instrument clusters in these cars is a common ploy to evade excess mileage charges on leased cars that are being turned in.

You can also obtain this information with the Durametric system, by reading the accrued operation hours from the DME and dividing it into the mirage shown on the odometer to obtain the vehicles average MPH. As most cars average between 30-50MPH over their life span, a number well below 30MPH would be suspect.

You also need to know that swapping out instrument clusters in these cars is a common ploy to evade excess mileage charges on leased cars that are being turned in.

Thanks.

I do know that the actual mileage was about 160K, as of last year (obtained from the single previous owner, who had all records).

Then the car bounced to about 3 or 4 auction companies, where CarFax clearly shows that the mileage changed about 2 months before selling to me.

I reported the mileage change to California DMV fraud and to their investigators.

However, no problems with the car's mileage -- the car is meticulous and can easily pass as a 65K car.

I got the original owner to re-issue to title to me showing the 160,xxx mileage, so the car is back to correct mileage as far as the DMV is concerned,