Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Upper engine torque support

During a routine oil change yesterday, I inspected the condition of the upper engine torque support arm (attaches from passenger side cylinder head to chassis) and noticed that the rubber bushing on the chassis side of the arm was cracked in multiple places. It looks like a pretty straight forward replacement job, but I couldn't find anything here as a DIY for this. Any special pointers on swapping this part out? I know the shop manual says to replace the mounting bolts at the same time.

Also, best price I've found so far is about $133 for the torque support. Anyone have a less costly source?

• 2 weeks later...

Removed and replaced the torque support this past weeked. The original torque support large bushing was completely broken - cracked on all sides. it was clearly incapable of serving its intended purpose. Here's a shot of the removed part:

IMG_1173_1280_zps887aa5bc.jpg

I would recommend that owners of first generation V8 Cayennes inspect this part and replace if necessary.

Edited by spooltime

The torque support arm is designed to relieve stress on the passenger side motor mount, as well as keep other components in relative alighnment while the engine is twisting towards the passenger side fender under heavy torque load. Others may have noticed obvious symptons, but I didn't. I just did a visual inspection because this is a part known to eventually wear out over time. If yours has a crack or multilple cracks (like mine), the part has failed and should be replaced.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know what the part # for the black metal mount (not the torque arm) that mounts to the body and the torque arm attaches to?
Reason for asking is just changed out my leaking CET and noticed significant rust corrosion on the black steel mount itself

Edited by srfrdrew