Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996T - Intermittent hum from front end

Got out of car to take some pics, and as I generally do, I let it idle.

It was then that I noted a humming noise from the front, I did not investigate fully but it was audible on the drivers side, in the front wheel area.

The sound is a hum like thing but I noticed it because it was intermittent, i.e. it had a frequency that was similar to a ringing tone... what you hear when you are on the phone calling someone waiting for them to pick up... hummmmmmmmmm, (pause...) hummmmmmmmm, (pause...) etc etc.

Is this normal and something that I never happened to have noticed before?

Since I then got quite sensitive to this sound I think I also heard it while actually in the car and driving and convinced myself that I could also feel it through the wheel.

Any ideas? Only just got back from holiday drive so have not looked into it at all, grateful for any early pointers however.

• 1 year later...

I hate responding to these old messages, but, I am experiencing the very same thing.  The humming seems to be coming from the front right side.  I place it somewhere around the Charcoal Canister.

Mine started just recently (MY 2000 986 S) after I added some oil to the crankcase,  I had been low on oil, and unfortunately, overfilled it slightly.  As soon as I did that, I got a small drip from the engine on the right side, and it drips right onto the exhaust and is quite annoying.  I don't know if they are related, and I have not finished tracking down exactly what is leaking.

But, strangely, that humming sound from the charcoal canister area started right after this, within a day or so.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,  Brian