Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ahsai, Thanks, I'll get to what you suggest tonight.

I think that the cause for the two error codes in post 72 above came from when you asked me to get the pre cat. Duramtric voltage without starting the car.

I had the air cleaner and MAF out of the car so I could take the manual voltage readings. Otherwise I don't think we would have seen any code.

I replaced everything before getting the last voltage readings you requested.

I'll clear everything before I try your above suggestions and see if we get any more error codes.

Thanks, Bob

Sounds like a plan!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok guys I unplugged the MAF and the car ran much better...not perfect but much better.

I think the oil filler tube and cap are OK.

I am afraid to try and pinch the AOS because it is plastic and on this car and with 70,000 miles and all that heat over the years, it is probably very brittle.

Ranger 2 Cylinder 1-3 (FRA)....................1.23

Ranger 2 Cylinder 4-6 (FRA2)..................1.23

Ranger 2 Cylinder 1-3 (TRA).................... 0.37

Ranger 2 Cylinder 4-6 (TRA2).................. 0.37

What is our current thinking?

Thanks, Bob

So have you checked the bank1 and bank2 sensors are installed on the correct banks? The engine is still trying to run lean at idle.

I think just reinstall the MAF, reset all the codes, drive the car for half an hr or so and rescan it and see what codes come back.

Ok, got one fault code.............P1531....Camshaft adjustment bank1 could have been caused when I tried to see if the Vario cam was working correctly. I used

"activations" in my Durametric Engine Module program by starting and stopping "Camshaft adjustment bank 1".....which caused a significant change in idle when I made

the adjustment and corrected itself when I went back to where it had been. No other codes !!

FRA.............1.18

FRA2...........1.18

TRA............0.03

TRA2..........0.03

Voltage on pre cat. sensors were like yesterday started at 0.44v dropped off and fluctuated between 0.13v and 0.01v depending on RPM

Hi Bob, how long was the car driven? Seems like making some progress.

What are all the readiness tests shown in Durametric? You should see EVAP "PASSED", Catalytic converter "PASSED", O2 sensor "PASSED", etc. "FAIL" means the test has not been performed yet I think. I want to see if the drive was long enough for the car to complete all these tests to confirm all these systems are good since DME reset.

Your TRAs are finally back to normal but the FRAs are out now. It shows the engine is trying to run lean under load. Can you check if MAF is 15~17kg/hr at idle and ~50kg/hr when you snap the throttle?

I don't think the P1531 is caused by playing with Durametric.

Can you drive the car and log and plot the two precat sensor voltage (but don't select any other actual value readings to reduce the sampling resolution)? They should be swinging between 0.2v to 0.7v about once a second at idle and even faster under load.

Edited by Ahsai

Ahsia, Thanks again. Have to take two days off to try and pay the bills. I will get back to this in two days.

I was only able to drive it for about 10 minutes....probably not long enough.

I'll take the longer drive in two days.

Again thank you...I'll owe you a couple cases of beer at the end of all this.

You're welcome and take your time. Best is to drive it for at least 1/2hr with mixed highway and local roads. Multiple trips is even better. Most those tests (maybe except the EVAP test) should have run and completed.

Took car for long drive and by time I got back home all appears to be working correctly!!! I just want to thank everyone for their help..................Never could have fixed it without your assistance.

Ahsai....I owe you big time....Thanks

Extremely useful post, however, I feel like I missed the punch line. I tried to create a very simplified summary of what happened and problem resolution:

1. A pre-IMS swap locking of bank1 somehow with the engine actually at tdc bank2

2. IMS swapped with out issue

3. Realizing before reinstalling engine of the TDC mistake, turning engine counter-clockwise to get bank1 tdc (overlap), removing and reinstalling chain 1-3 tensioner

4. Re-installing engine/gearbox

5. Immediately would not idle well and stalled along with P1531(Camshaft Adjustment Bank1) code

6. O2 sensor continuity/voltage checks and DME continuity checks

6b. Used propane torch to heat up O2 sensors and confirmed no voltage induced

7. Replaced both pre-cat O2 sensors (same result)

8. Cleared codes on DME (more errors including misfires detected)

9. Bank 2 intake noted to have been removed for access to third A/C bolt along with bank 1 spark plug removal for inspection of Cyl #4 (incorrect cylinder #'s?)

10. More voltage checks of O2 sensors, more DME continuity checks, O2 sensor voltages 0.44V

11. Unplugged MAF and engine ran much better

12. Verified O2 sensor connections

13. No more errors??

edit: added step 6b. per post #88

Edited by xmac

Good summary. I just want to add between steps 6 & 7 Reebuck also tested the precat O2 sensors using propane torch and confirmed they didn't generate any voltage. Also the MAF was cleaned and intake removed and reconnected multiple times.

It would be nice if after some more miles, Reebuck can confirm the engine passed all those emission readiness tests and there are no more error codes.

Guys I will be happy to do the above. Let me run it for a week or so and I will get back to you with a before and after chart on all my Durametric readings. Be back in a week !!

Thanks again for everyone help !!!! .................Ahsia was great to hang in there with me during the ordeal!!!!

• 1 month later...

Finally back with data I promised.........below you will find my original Durametric readings and readings I took yesterday. Car is now running great and have had no further

motor problems. I also managed to re-time the cams with the factory tools and you can see the difference in the below lines titled "Camshaft Position deviation".

Hope this helps someone. AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HELP>>>>>NEVER WOULD HAVE GOT IT ALL WORKING WITHOUT YOU !!!!

I am also providing all the read outs from my "Engine Module ME5.2.2 at idle after my around block run: Durametric version 6.3.2.5

1st run in 2nd run May 31, 2014

would not idle idles smoothly

RPM .....................................................720 920

Load Signal ........................................... 1.30 1.45

Air mass ...............................................14.25 to 16.25 jumping 24.00

Speed .................................................. 0 0

Voltage ............................................... 13.45 13.30

IATS .....................................................69.8 50.3

ECTS ...................................................72.8 104.3

Throttle plate angle ................................. 0 0

Ignition timing .......................................3.8 to 9.8 jumping 3.8

Spec. air mass ......................................16 to 17 4

Spec. air adaptation .............................. -3 -10

Ambient pressure ...................................760 960

Injection time .........................................3.9 to 4.0 2.9

Exhaust temp. after cat. Converter ..........52C 52C

Oil temperature ......................................72.8C 97.5

Engine compartment temp. .....................54.8C 59.3

Oxygen sensing cylinder 1-3 .................1.25 .98

Oxygen sensing cylinder 4-6 ..................1.25 .99

Ranger 2 Cylinder 1-3 (FRA) ..................0.98 1.00

Ranger 2 Cylinder 4-6 (FRA2) .................0.98 1.00

Ranger 2 Cylinder 1-3 (TRA) ...................0.37 rich 0.10

Ranger 2 Cylinder 4-6 (TRA2) .................0.37 rich 0.10

O2 sensor voltage ahead of cat. conv. ...... 0.00 0.27

O2 sensor voltage ahead of cat. c. bank 2....0.00 0.51

Camshaft position 1 deviation .......................-2.0 0.00

Camshaft position 2 deviation (USA model only).....3.0 3.00

HO2S heat. Res. Ahead of cat. conv........................3.1 3.1

Rough-running threshold .........................................8.5 8.9

Rough running.........................................................0 to 4.0 most of the time 0 to 2.8 0.4

Segment A ..............................................................1 1

Segment B...............................................................1 1

Leam. progress sens. Wheel adapt.........................0.0007 0.0007

Ambient pressure ...................................760 960

BTW, what are the units of the ambient pressure? I assume mbar? I wonder why they differ so much between the runs. Maybe taken at very different altitudes?