Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator, Generator, Battery

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My joy lasted only 3 days:-(

Today same problem came back. Driving home from office, engine starts to rev higher and after some minutes battery warning sign. Arriving home i checked voltage. Engine running at 1000 rpm and reading was just 9.99

What the ...... Is it. I thought a broken alternator is not charging at all. Why this part is sometimes working and sometimes not. Anyway. Now i know i cant solve this by myself.

With that tester, you can see it in the cabin as it happens. One common failing alternator pattern is you get 14v at cold start then as you drive and the engine warms up, the alternator output wil keep decreasing to 12v or so, usally not lower than that because the battery is still supplying at least 12v.

If it's only 9.99v, I suspect your battery may have a bad cell. Would be easiest if you can at least eliminate the battery as the problem.

The tester which you recommend didnt arrive today . I used the multimeter on the plus / minus port under the hood.

Yesterday i did a test drive on the highway, car was warmed up. After 30 minutes of driving as i wrote it was almost 14.

Battery? Maybe. I can change again

You can bring just the batteries to the shop unless you want them to test your alternator as well. They don't need your car to test just the batteries.

Note that even if your batteries are "new", if they are not kept fully charged at all times, they will discharge quickly and cannot be revived due to sulfation, which is non-reversible.

The BOSCH Service is 3 km away. I am just a bit affraid to drive the vehikel with this problem. My office is about the same distance and you see what happen this evening. I started there with no problem and on the way home

the problem came back. Now i went out to check whats going on. If you turn the key...... Noooooothing

Oh, only 3km one way driving. That's not enough to keep the battery charged even if everything is healthy, especially if you don't drive it everyday.I hope you keep a set of jumper cables in your car.

But my old Cayenne S did it every day. Even in winter with heating, light etc

They look great! However, the real test is still a load test.

Is that a capacitative battery tester that let's you input the CCA of the battery under test? I have one of those and they give accurate results even if the battery is depleted.

Edited by Ahsai

Oh, only 3km one way driving. That's not enough to keep the battery charged even if everything is healthy, especially if you don't drive it everyday.I hope you keep a set of jumper cables in your car.

But my old Cayenne S did it every day. Even in winter with heating, light etc

That's impressive.

Today it was the last day i try to do something by myself.

Reading on the jumper port under the hood

12, 20

I try to start, of course not working. Readings after several starts

Used my other car for jump starting. Not working. Starter just make " KLICK"

Changed battery for the new one.

Reading 12,99

Try to start. Nothing, starter just make "KLICK"

Try to make jump start. Nothing. Starter just make ...... KLICK

Finally did i spoil my starter too, or could the starter be the issue or ?

I am finish with my ideas. Tomorrow i will call a track to tow away the car.

Thanks to everybody for your patience!

Ok, this seems to be something new since you're never had problem jump starting the car, right? It does sound like somthing wrong with the starter or cable barring any loose jump start connection.

Anyway, I hope you get it resolved at the shop and do let us know what they find.

Hi again

Was talking with a bosch service person today. Discussing the possible causes of my starting problems. He mentioned that specially with the cayennes water pipe problems the low voltage problem could be a bad alternator / starter harness. So before starting the time intensive procedure with the alternator, is it a real option to check the wiring on the starter?

Thank you

• Moderators

Hi again

Was talking with a bosch service person today. Discussing the possible causes of my starting problems. He mentioned that specially with the cayennes water pipe problems the low voltage problem could be a bad alternator / starter harness. So before starting the time intensive procedure with the alternator, is it a real option to check the wiring on the starter?

Thank you

You can check the wiring using voltage drop test that will indicate if there is higher than expected resistance, particularly in the heavy cables, that would reduce the systems ability to turn over or start.

• 3 weeks later...

SURPRISE SURPRISE.......

Car is at service already one week and today they

Called to note me thats not the alternato which cause the problem, It is

The starter they told me.

I visit my car this evening when they installed the new part.

I hope it will be ready tomorrow and i pray the problem

Is solved.

I let you know!

post-77547-0-20711400-1398370783_thumb.j

post-77547-0-49983400-1398370807_thumb.j

Hi Thomas,

That is a surprise indeed. I'm curious how they came to that conclusion (not challenging them but rather would like to learn how). From your 1st post, you had problem when the engine was running/idling so it's hard to imagine that's related to the starter...

Anyway, good luck and you need a break man!