Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Wheels / Offset & Other info

I was considering getting for my 02 Targa some HRE 543's (18") and wanted to know how wide can I go for Front / Back, in Wheel Width / Tire Size / & Proper Offsets.

PS> I am going to most likely upgrade to a PSS-9 system in the future as well.

TIA

lap

• Admin

Here are the Porsche approved tires:

Tire Size

Front: 225/40 ZR 18

Rear: 285/30 ZR 18

Tires:

- Bridgestone Potenza S-02A N3 Directional

- Continental Sport Contact 2 N2 Side-directional

- Michelin Pilot Sport N1 Directional

- Pirelli P-ZERO ROSSO N4 Side-directional

Approved 18 wheels (w/offsets) are:

- Front: 8J X 18 offset - 50.0/52.0

- Rear: 10J X 18 offset - 65.0

5 mm spacers are approved on all four wheels.

17 mm spacers on the rear wheels and 5 mm spacers on the front are also approved with use of proper (longer) wheel bolts.

"Unofficially"

With the 8" front wheel you can go 235/40 ZR 18 tire without any rubbing and it will reduce understeer a little. A couple of brands of 295/30 ZR 18 rear tires are reported to not rub (or require fender rolling) but I can't recommend any especially if you are lowering the car.

Perhaps you can tell if this is a street car or track car and others can recommend tire/wheel combinations for both.

Thanks Loren!

Some additional points:

1. 2002 Targa = Primarily Street Car (for SPIRITED DRIVING) & some track

2. OFFSETS: you mentioned: ... Approved 18 wheels (w/offsets) are: Front: 8J X 18 offset - "50.0/52.0" is that a range? Also, if 5mm spacers are "allowed" in the front, cannot I get that "built into" the wheel (Fr and Rr) from HRE? I don't think I want to risk the 235's up front unless I know for certain that I will not have "rubbing", BUT I definitely want to reduce understeer.

Right now my 1989 speedster w/ Koni Yellows feels much MORE connected, I know they are completely different creatures but I would like to get that same feeling in the newer car.

TIA!

• Admin

All the Porsche OEM wheels are either 50 mm or 52 mm offset. I don't see any reason why you can't get the 5 mm offset built into the wheels (as long as it is correct).

offset.gif

I don't think the 235s will rub even with the 5 mm spacers. The fronts rub first on the inside -- and only 245s rub a little at lock to lock.

Ok Loren,

Just so I don't screw this up,

1. what are the exact #'s to give HRE (w/ the most agressive offset built in, i.e. no extra spacers required)

2. 235's will work w/out rubbing? b/c you indicated "the fronts rub on the inside"??

THANKS AGAIN!

Also, if 5mm spacers are "allowed" in the front, cannot I get that "built into" the wheel (Fr and Rr) from HRE?

LAP

One of the good things about buying custom wheels, is that you select the offset. If someone has a OE Carrera style wheels (which have 52 & 65mm offsets F/R) and they throw a 7mm spacer on the front and a 17mm on the rear, then they have an affective offset of 45 & 48.

Offset (or ET, which means 'pushed in') is decreased as you 'space' the wheel out.

Personally, I'd say there's nothing wrong w/OE tire sizes (shoot, the Turbo runs 225s in the front). If all you're after is good looking relationship of fender-to-rim (and not concerned about any of the possible negatives that go with it) then your car can handle the offset I described above (with 8J & 10J rims and OE rubber) even if the car is 'somewhat' lowered.

Here's a pic of same.....good luck.

OE_Cab_wheels1.jpg

• 5 months later...

1999 C4 Cab

Would these RIMs fit on my car?

Front ET50 18x8 w/ Tires 225-40

Rear ET45 18x11 w/ no tires

According to Loren's post above, these rears seem too big?

How about these?

18" Porsche Turbo Staggered Wheels

18 x 10" Rear Wheels, offset ET40

18 x 8" Front Wheels, offset ET52

Porsche part #'s 893.362.140.00 and 893.362.136.00

What does the J stand for in Loren's post?

Where can I find out the best offset for my 99 C4 Cab? These are 5, 45, 40, and 52 but I'm new to this and don't know where I can reference the best offset for my car.

Thanks again for all the help!

Edited by gry